is it possible to gain 5 lbs in a week

Options
so I've eaten horribly sunday, monday, and tuesday. Today is the first day I was slightly under or at my calorie goal for the day. I've still done my 30ds everyday, (with a rest day on monday). I did a midweek weight check just to see how bad it was and according to the scale I've gained almost 5 lbs since my last weigh in, which was 4 days ago. Any insight would really be appreciated!

Replies

• pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    When you were eating badly did you still drink a decent amount of water?? I find I drop the water when I am bad but if I drink 12 glasses the next day most of it comes off!
  • denisegetskinny
    denisegetskinny Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I gain weight very easy nowadays especially right before my monthly. Don't beat yourself up about it, just get back on track. I have only loss 1 lb since my last weigh in with my doctor. My problem is I can't eat the way I used to and slow down on the working out. Life is so unfair! haha
    I heard on the radio from a personal trainer that one of the best things we could do is eat almost all of your carbs before 2pm, he said you will be a little lighter in time for Christmas dinner. I am going to try it starting today. keep me posted
  • fit4life1010
    Options
    Usually when I eat really bad, the higher number on the scale is due to water retention. A lot of sodium in the foods can cause that. Wait 3-5 days and eat your calorie goal during the time and drink lots of water. Then do a weigh-in. :)
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i've done it.. each year on holiday at a All Inclusive Hotel i put on 5 lbs in a week, one year 7 lbs! The weight used to come off within a week after coming home but not anymore.... so i have to be more careful on this vacation :(
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    so I've eaten horribly sunday, monday, and tuesday. Today is the first day I was slightly under or at my calorie goal for the day. I've still done my 30ds everyday, (with a rest day on monday). I did a midweek weight check just to see how bad it was and according to the scale I've gained almost 5 lbs since my last weigh in, which was 4 days ago. Any insight would really be appreciated!

there is a difference between gaining fat and gaining weight, the most likely culprit is water
    I heard on the radio from a personal trainer that one of the best things we could do is eat almost all of your carbs before 2pm, he said you will be a little lighter in time for Christmas dinner. I am going to try it starting today. keep me posted

well that trainer is stupid as it doesn't matter when you eat your carbs, eating them before 2:00 doesn't do anything magical for weight loss
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I can and have gained 8+ lbs overnight if I eat enough crap food in one day.....my all time record is 16lbs up in one weekend.....of course it was mostly if not all water retention and went away just as quickly almost.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    In order to gain 5lbs in a week (or less than from what I read on your post) you would have to consume 17,500 EXTRA calories... I'm sure you didn't do this. You say you ate badly so maybe 1-2 lbs but the rest is probably water weight from to much sodium in the diet! Drink lots of fluids, get back on track and you'll see it go right back down!

Good luck and hope that helps!
  • KariePerez
    Options
    It is usually water weight when its that sudden and that much. Women need I believe 4200mg of potassium daily to help their body get rid of water weight. Don't quote me on the amount cuz I am not sure the exact number but it is very close to that!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Could be sodium, sugar, water from your workouts, etc. Get back on track, drink LOTS of water everyday, and see what the scale says next week. Don't worry about it!
  • ThaiKaren
    ThaiKaren Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've done it, just make sure you drink plenty of water and make sure that it is a one off event. You'll soon have that off x
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    In order to gain 5lbs in a week (or less than from what I read on your post) you would have to consume 17,500 EXTRA calories... I'm sure you didn't do this. You say you ate badly so maybe 1-2 lbs but the rest is probably water weight from to much sodium in the diet! Drink lots of fluids, get back on track and you'll see it go right back down!

I was going to say the same thing. You need to eat 17500 over your maintenance amount for that time. Since I assume you are on a calorie deficit right now, don't mistake that as saying 17500 over the amount allowed to you right now. It is that amount over your maintenance calories plus the extras you burned exercising. I would guess the vast majority of what you put on is water weight. Drink lots of water and weigh again in 4 days.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    You would had to have consumed 17,500 extra cals to gain all that weight-as I read I see someone told you this. There are so many things that could have happened. Also-was it the same time of day you normally weigh and did you have the same amount of clothing on your normally weigh in? So many factor can affect weight.
  • BrandyRelaxing
    BrandyRelaxing Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree with the rest. Yes you can gain 5 pounds of weight on the scale, but that's definitely not 5 pounds of fat. You're likely retaining water from eating high salt food, and within a week, you'll be back to your previous weight. It's all temporary!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options

well that trainer is stupid as it doesn't matter when you eat your carbs, eating them before 2:00 doesn't do anything magical for weight loss
    I seriously don't understand why anyone thinks putting a time limit on certain foods/nutrients makes any logical sense. Do the carbs know what time it is? Does your stomach wear a watch? Why Xpm regardless of what time you wake up in the morning - so if you wake up at 5am, you get to eat carbs for 9 hours but if you wake up at 1:30pm you should only eat carbs for the next 30 minutes? What if you work the night shift - do you NEVER eat carbs because you don't wake up until 8pm?
  • rblair_22
    rblair_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel a lot better knowing it's mostly water weight that I am retaining. I just need to stay away from the scale for the rest of the week and see how I'm doing on Sunday or Monday morning! Thanks so much!
  • KariePerez
    Options

GREAT POINT AND MAKES ME FEEL ALOT BETTER TO KNOW THIS THANKS!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

there is a difference between gaining fat and gaining weight, the most likely culprit is water

This.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Eating carbs at a certain time is a bro fact!

1) Go to bed hungry and you will wake up skinny! : Seriously, your total caloric intake means nothing as long as you follow this magical bro fact that can be applied to all despite our metabolic differences.
    See my BRLog!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/_Bro/view/brlog-part-i-so-you-want-to-be-a-bro-179675
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    When the scales are on an upward climb, I try to drink 1 glass of water for every 20 pounds I weigh for a couple of days and NOT weigh. After that, the scales should be back to normal.

The other thing (this happened to me) it could be is that your scales might be out of whack. I replaced mine with a "heavier duty" type and haven't had any issues.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    When the scales are on an upward climb, I try to drink 1 glass of water for every 20 pounds I weigh for a couple of days and NOT weigh. After that, the scales should be back to normal.

The other thing (this happened to me) it could be is that your scales might be out of whack. I replaced mine with a "heavier duty" type and haven't had any issues.