How long does it take to boost your metabolism?

Options
I have been eating 1200 calories for awhile and watching what I eat along with my exercise. I have not been able to lose even 1 pound for over a year. I have been told I am eating too few calories and starving my body. I have been eating now 1200 calories a day plus my adding my workout calories in for a couple weeks. How long will it take for my metabolism to turn around if I have been eating too few calories for so long. What else can I do to jump start it. During this time I lost 2 lbs and then the next time (2 days later) I was right where I started and have remained at the same weight for 2 weeks. I have entered all my meals in MFP and eating Jillian Michaels meals from her website.
Thanks

Replies

• nicki17
    nicki17 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1200 calories for awhile and watching what I eat along with my exercise. I have not been able to lose even 1 pound for over a year. I have been told I am eating too few calories and starving my body. I have been eating now 1200 calories a day plus my adding my workout calories in for a couple weeks. How long will it take for my metabolism to turn around if I have been eating too few calories for so long. What else can I do to jump start it. During this time I lost 2 lbs and then the next time (2 days later) I was right where I started and have remained at the same weight for 2 weeks. I have entered all my meals in MFP and eating Jillian Michaels meals from her website.
    Thanks
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    1200 was too few for me. I am 5'4" and started out at 165lbs. I had to bump it to 1400-1500 plus exercise calories to lose weight. 1200 really isn't appropriate for someone who only has 30 or less to lose.

It really shouldn't take more than a few weeks for your metabolism to catch on, but I'm no expert in that area. But what are you doing as far as workouts? (Frequency, duration and intensity) Do you use a HRM to track your calories burned or are you relying on the database? Are you getting enough protein and healthy fat in your diet? And how are you about drinking water? All of these will also play a factor in your metabolism and weight loss.
  • rayemlls
    rayemlls Posts: 45
    Options
    Same here.....I lost 30 pounds back in the fall then I didnt work out as much overthe winter months...I started dieting and working out again going on 44 days and I still havent lost any weight...I dont know why its so much harder this time...
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    You could try varying the amount of calories you eat every few days, but never below 1200. Make sure you are accurately counting your calories...and weighing your food is better than measuring it.

On the exercise front, if you're not doing strength training, start. Weight machines are good, loose weights (dumbells, etc) are better in that they engage smaller muscles and your core more, BUT, don't try them if you haven't had anyone show you proper form!! Strength training builds muscle, which in turn boosts metabolism. Just don't work the same muscle group two days in a row. They need a day of rest in between the workouts.

Regarding cardio, try mixing up intervals going medium fast for a minute or 2, then fast for a minute or 2, then super fast for a minute or two, and keep chaning it up for 30-40 minutes. Then do a couple days a week where you are working on endurance....say, power walk at 4 to 5 mph for 30-45 minutes. Always remember to warm up and cool down before and after. This all keeps your body guessing what comes next and makes it work hard every workout.

Change out your workout routine every few weeks.

Most importantly, don't forget to take a day or two off a week to REST! Your muscles will need it.

That's all I got
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I dont think you should weight yourself all the time once a week in the am is plenty.
  • nicki17
    nicki17 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    very infomative.
    Thank you