Question on WHAT YOU MONITOR

Options
I have ready so many MFP success stories. And it seems a lot of them ONLY monitor calories. Not fat. Not carbs, sodium, or anything else. What are you opinions on this? Should we be watching those other things if the goal is to lose weight? I just want to see my weight number go down. I'd rather be SKINNY FAT than FAT FAT.

Replies

• jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on people's individual health needs. Some folks are diabetic and need to watch sugars. Some are hypertensive and need to watch sodium. Some know enough about food to know they're eating tons of healthy fruits and veggies and know they absolutely getting enough fiber.

Me personally, I'm pre-hypertensive and am trying to avoid taking medication so am trying to balance my sodium/potassium by decreasing sodium and increasing potassium so I monitor both of those. I don't monitor fiber because I know I'm excellent in that category. I don't monitor sugars because I don't eat any sugar beyond what's in my fruits and veggies and I know they'll say I'm eating over goal, but since they're healthy foods eaten in moderation I don't care. In addition to potassium and sodium and calories I also measure fat and protein and carbs.

I think its awesome that we can pick and choose the categories. I have monitored different categories at different times.

good luck!
  • lynntfuzz
    lynntfuzz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm just watching calories. But I find if I eat a lot of sugary things, I know that I use up my calories and still feel starving. So, while someday I'd like to be a little bit more cognizant of my fat intake, sodium intake, fiber intake.... now I'm just basically watching calories, but staying away from eating as many sugary things as I used to. If I ever try to go low carb, I just don't do well. It doesn't work for me. Based on my experimenting, just watching calories and not going crazy, crazy with the sugar seems to work. For me. What are your nutrition goals?
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I have ready so many MFP success stories. And it seems a lot of them ONLY monitor calories. Not fat. Not carbs, sodium, or anything else. What are you opinions on this? Should we be watching those other things if the goal is to lose weight? I just want to see my weight number go down. I'd rather be SKINNY FAT than FAT FAT.

Im monitering you...and I saw what you did today
  • katie3kids
    Options
    I usually try to have a high protein and high fiber diet but low carb. I feel fuller when I eat more proteins and whole grains. I try to keep the "unhealthy" fat low and also supplement with Udo's 3-6-9 oil for my healthy fats. Since my cholesterol was toward the high end, I also try to include insoluble fiber foods to help lower it. I think someone else commented that it really depends on your personal health situation. You could ask your doctor at your next physical what they recommend?
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think total calories is what you should focus on now. When you get down to the last few pounds, then you need to focus on that other stuff. There's my $.02.
  • sunraze
    sunraze Posts: 115
    Options
    I monitor calories overall but try to stay away from sugar and eat plenty of protein. I dont really worry about the fat. If the other two are good then fat isnt an issue. A little of the good fat is a good thing. Sugar---always a bad thing.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    You will lose weight in a moderate calorie deficit. Tracking macros can change body composition.

I track all macros and make sure to try and get my minimum protein/fat and fill the rest in with carbs. I track sodium so I know when Ill be retaining water. Anything else is too much IMO because I have no medical need to
  • nukehiker
    Options
    the main macro's that i monitor are proteins, carbs, and fat. i recently added sodium and sugars to that but those last 2 can frustrate you since some foods and or supplements can have high sugar or sodium numbers
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 70 lbs. watching calories only. Now that I'm at a much lower bf%, and have started lifting weights as well as cardio/conditioning, I'm monitoring protein as well.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I track my carbs, fat, sugar and protein closely. I want to be sure I get all my protein, low sugar, meet carbs with whole foods and be sure to eat good fats and meet my requirement. It has worked for me in the past so I'll keep doing it.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

for my first 45lbs I cut out regular soda and started lowering my cals, for my next 55lbs I watched my cals and sodium very closely, and for my last 15lbs, I watch cals, sodium and protein!!!! Start with cals...work your way to "clean" eating closer to the end of your weightloss...it's really a slow steady progression!!

good luck!
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Fat, Carbs, Protein, Fibre and Sodium.
    I can bloat like a mofo!
  • justaskforbrandy
    justaskforbrandy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I track calories, sodium and fiber... I also try to get in as much protein as I can, but I never seem to reach my goal lol
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I track calories, carbohydrates, fat, protein, potassium & iron. The latter two because it's easy to be deficient of such vital nutrients when dieting. (You'll notice that the majority of diaries you skim through here are very unbalanced.) With that being said, I also rack up some high mileage every week through distance running, which causes a loss of those nutrients, and although I don't know how much I've sweat out, I aim for my goal or just above it...at least with iron. The best part is that since I've started tracking & balancing those two, I have actually felt better. I have little to no fatigue in the day, really quick muscle recovery after long runs & I'm sleeping like a baby at night (which is saying something because I've gotten jack for sleep in the last year and a half).

You can lose by just counting calories, but will you be as healthy? Who knows? It's all about what's important to you and your lifestyle.

Oh, I also take a peek at my sodium every few days, but I don't deem it as important, because if you're drinking your water & eating fairly healthy, you'll know approximately where you stand, (which, if you've had anything processed is most likely at or near the limit.)

Cheers man, happy losing!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,245 Member
    Options
    I monitor calories, sodium (I have high blood pressure), fibre, and protein. Nothing else. I wouldn't monitor fibre and protein if I didn't find keeping them high helps me keep feeling full.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,245 Member
    Options
    I track calories, carbohydrates, fat, protein, potassium & iron. The latter two because it's easy to be deficient of such vital nutrients when dieting. (You'll notice that the majority of diaries you skim through here are very unbalanced.) With that being said, I also rack up some high mileage every week through distance running, which causes a loss of those nutrients, and although I don't know how much I've sweat out, I aim for my goal or just above it...at least with iron. The best part is that since I've started tracking & balancing those two, I have actually felt better. I have little to no fatigue in the day, really quick muscle recovery after long runs & I'm sleeping like a baby at night (which is saying something because I've gotten jack for sleep in the last year and a half).

You can lose by just counting calories, but will you be as healthy? Who knows? It's all about what's important to you and your lifestyle.

Oh, I also take a peek at my sodium every few days, but I don't deem it as important, because if you're drinking your water & eating fairly healthy, you'll know approximately where you stand, (which, if you've had anything processed is most likely at or near the limit.)

The problem with monitoring potassium is since it is not required on nutritional labels, the amount showing in your diary will likely be wrong. At least it always has been in mine.
    Cheers man, happy losing!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I focus mostly on calories and protein. Since I eat pretty clean, I don't get obsessive about the others, though I'm loosely aware of them. It helped to be aware of those because I noticed my iron was consistently low and then decided to take an iron supplement (might help my energy level, which has had ups and downs).
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    calories, carbs, protein, fat, sodium and cholesterol, will exchange cholesterol with sugar though, as I seem to have no problem with cholesterol, but sodium and sugar.
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The problem with monitoring potassium is since it is not required on nutritional labels, the amount showing in your diary will likely be wrong. At least it always has been in mine.

The database is ALMOST ALWAYS wrong, which is why I LOVE the edit button. There are plenty of resources online that show the potassium in many natural foods. Also, if it's a processed product & it's not labelled, you can easily get the amount by calling the company through their 1-800 #. Easy as pie.

It takes a lot of time to build up a fairly accurate personal database in the beginning, but once it's there, it's quick and painless.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 20 pounds by cutting out sugar and being slightly more thoughtful about portion sizes. Once that didn't seem to be enough, I started watching calories and now I monitor my protein, fat, carb, fiber, and calcium. I watch protein because I want to retain as much muscle mass as I can while still losing weight, fats because I like to see what my sources of fat are, carbs just to fill out my day, calcium because as a woman it's super important for me so I can maintain bone density, and fiber because when I go over/under I have digestion problems. If I'd used MFP at the beginning I would have watched my sugar, but now that I have it under control I don't worry about it (I used to be a HUGE candy junkie).