Good books??

Options
I read A LOT. Mainly at work during my breaks and down time because I have a very boring job lol. But I've been reading a lot at home lately too since I haven't felt up to doing much else but hang out alone at home. And I'm a pretty fast reader, so it doesn't take me long to get through a book. I just read all 3 Hunger Games books in 5 days... But basically, everytime I go to the book store I'm stumped on what to get. Nobody I know really reads so I don't have anybody giving me any good recommendations and I need some! I've read so many books I could probably own my own library, and I need some suggestions for some good reads! Thanks everybody!

Replies

• CrawlingChaos
    Options
    Here's a few recent reads I really enjoyed

Non-fiction:
    sleights of mind: what Neuroscience of magic reveals about our everyday deceptions by Stephen macknik and susana-martinez-conde
    The greatest show on earth by Richard Dawkins
    God, no! By Penn Jillette
    Paranormality: why we see what isn't there by Richard wiseman
    The better angels of our nature: why violence has declined by Steven pinker

Fiction:
    The City and the city by China mieville
    Perdido street station by China mieville
    neverwhere: a novel by Neil gaiman
    the name of the wind (kingkiller chronicles) by Patrick Rothfuss
  • PsiChi
    PsiChi Posts: 157
    Options
    Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton
    Nothing like the movie, this book blows the movie out of the water...I'm surprised they could even say the movie was based on this book.

Priest Block 25487: A Memoir - Jean Bernard
    A Catholic priest was arrested for "crimes against the state" during WWII by Nazi Gestapo and was sent to Dachau Prison Camp. This memoir was written by him shortly after his release.

With God in Russia - Walter J. Ciszeck, S.J.
    A Catholic priest snuck in to Russia towards the end of WWII to minister to the Russian Catholics when he is arrested by the NKGB and is charged for conspiracy and crimes against the state. This is a memoir of the 23 years he spent in soviet prisons and siberian labor camps.
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    The Wizards First Rule series by Terry Goodkind I believe there is 10 or so books in the series and he just started writing some more. It's really addicting once you get into that first book. Loved them all I hated to end the series.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    The Secret Life of Bees
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Oh and Im a hard core Sookie Stackhouse Series fan!!!
  • Alishia_655
    Options
    What kind of books do you like?

I read all sorts of things. A friend recently got me into the House Of Night series. It was pretty good. I just discovered that I have an e-reader on my laptop so I have been reading like crazy on that.

I have just started reading the time machine. I have seen the movie, and it didn't hold my attention, but the book is pretty good so far.
  • babyworms
    babyworms Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. best series i think i've ever read, apart from Harry Potter!

ETA - OOPS!!! Scratch that, just realised you said you'd read them!!

Harry potter, then?
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i read alot depending on my mood depends on the book but

sookie stackhouse novels love them
    twilight i know im old but they are such fun as lighthearted reading
    vampire diaries and i was soo gutted the tv series was nothing like the books
    dan brown when im in the mood to try and solve something the da vinci code and angels and demons were brilliant nothing lik e the movies
    the borgia bride and a series called clan of the cave bear historical but very addictive nothing like each other but equally good
    virginia andrews books
    sally worboyes she writes mainly in east end london
    im a sucker for a true story everything from the horror abuse ones to life and times of a 1950s ambulance driver even the animal stories

depends on the kind of book you like there just some of the ones i like
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    English major here! How did you like the Hunger Games? I've heard I really need to read them.
    I have so many suggestions, but stupid finals are breathing down my neck, so here are a few...
    -Any and ALL Jane Austen novels
    -Atonement
    -Pillars of the Earth--don't let the length deter you, SO good!
    -A Thousand Splendid Suns (sequel to The Kite Runner)
    -a good light and fun read is Water for Elephants
    -okay, I'm 21 and I still love all of Sarah Dessen's novels
    -If you're into the Utopia books, 1984 and A Brave New World are good reads
    -I hear Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a must (that's next on my list)

Annnd procrastinating ends now.
  • Chelsea830
    Chelsea830 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that I am a HUGE Nora Roberts fan..:blushing: I can't pick a favorite to suggest to you though. Lol. So many good ones.
  • CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i'm reading the game of thrones series and LOVING it! also a pretty big sookie stackhouse fan (although those two series are nothing alike!) :-)
  • CrawlingChaos
    Options
    The Wizards First Rule series by Terry Goodkind I believe there is 10 or so books in the series and he just started writing some more. It's really addicting once you get into that first book. Loved them all I hated to end the series.

I second the sword of truth series! Though I've only actually read the first 4 books so far. I love it so far, just hard to find the time to fit in another 8 or whatever books.
  • Wangenstein
    Options
    Terry Pratchett's Discworld series is fantastic. It's smart, funny satire (and there are dozens of books in the series, broken into several sets of recurring characters and a few one-offs). My favories are the City Watch books, as well as the two Moist von Lipwig books, but a truly great introduction to Pratchett is the stand-alone book Small Gods. It's a wonderful look at the difference between Faith and Religion that manages to be both funny and profound. I've read them numerous times each.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Yup, I read and read too (but get books from the library, not the bookstore - much cheaper that way!).

It does depend what types of books you like, but similar to The Hunger Games are:

The Green Mile (a Stephen King story) Fahrenheit 451, The Giver, The House of the Scorpion, the Tomorrow When the War began series, The Host (and there's heaps more).

I've just read the first four Game of Thrones books - very well written for fantasy.

I could list masses of fantasy authors of all types and some sci-fi if you're intested. My fav. at the mo is Lois McMasters Bujold. I also read some historical fiction, historical romance and a range of types of murder mystery.
  • tishytaylor
    tishytaylor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Under the Dome by Stephen King
    Bad Blood by Debra Fowler
    Twilight Eyes by Dean Koontz

Authors: Poppy Z. Brite & John Saul

And right now I am reading 'Guin Saga' by Sumiyo Imaoka (they have only translated 5 books in this series, but they are pretty good so far!)
  • chicagocubsfan23
    Options
    I have to admit that I am a HUGE Nora Roberts fan..:blushing: I can't pick a favorite to suggest to you though. Lol. So many good ones.

I actually have read all of her books, no joke every one lol. I started reading her 9 years ago and I was running out of her books so branched out and started reading different things also. I go through about 3-4 books a week so I really do read a lot lol.
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Anything by Christopher Moore (http://www.chrismoore.com/), especially if you like supernatural stuff with a funny bone. I highly recommend "Fool".
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Anything by Janet Evonovich is funny as hell

jodi picoult, sad! But awesome reads

The black dagger brother hood, if youre into vampires.

New steve jobs book heard it was great

The Help by Katheryn Stockett

James patterson, sail is my favorite.
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The Art of Racing in the Rain. Great, great book. (fiction)
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm a Karen Kingsbury fan. I am waiting for the book "Longing" to become available at the library and then I will be completely done with a hit series. Francine Rivers is another Christian author that I like.

At the moment, I am reading Gone With the Wind. I am on a kick of reading classics. Kind of odd compared to the other books I read, but it's good.