Could you stop if you had too?

Options

Replies

• dvarrassi12
    Options
    I used to be that way when I first started working out. If something came up and I couldn't go, I would almost get depressed, I even cried on occasion lol. Somehow I'd convinced myself that if I didn't work out that one day I would gain weight. Luckily I'm not so crazy anymore, but possibly too lax. I need to find a happy medium!
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Rest days good.

Weeks lost to injury or illness bad. Do not like.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    funny my husband & i were just talking about this. i also take-off sundays, but long-term, i dont' know what i would do. if i have to miss more than 2 consecutive days, i will go crazy. a few weeks ago, i missed 3 days in a row and thought i would go nuts. i even saw someone jogging and i had to look away i was so envious! LOL!!! of course injury requires rest, so i would hope i could follow dr's orders, and if i had an illness that was contagious, i guess i would find ways to work-out where i didn't have to go to the gym. this morning my son has my car, so i will be going to the gym later than usual...that is already throwing off my whole day!
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    This is a great question. I have been doing at least 60 minutes of exercise everyday, 7 days a week most weeks. I recognize that I need to take a day (or 2) of rest, but when I "schedule" one of these days, I still run a mile or so and walk. I get very antsy and moody when I don't get to workout. It's one of those things that's hard to wrap my head around (like losing weight while eating 1800+ calories a day- it works!).

My question is, if you're feeling good and not sleep-deprived, is it truly harmful to exercise 7 days a week if you are switching up the workouts (step aerobics followed by a strength-training day followed by a Zumba day, etc.)?
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm right there myself- I have been going to boot camp for 4 months now and love it- I have seen great results- but due to fertility problems, I can only go to boot camp the two weeks a month when we are certain I am not pregnant- these past six weeks have been dreadful! Just when I get back in the groove, I ahve to stop again! PLUS- I am having surgery tomorrow, so that adds another two weeks that I can't go this month! I hate it!!!
  • mangledspoon
    mangledspoon Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    StacySkinny - you just need to find something that works for you and you really enjoy, and that will be it :) You will come back for more and more and get addicted. There are that many sports / exercises and things out there now, you're bound to enjoy SOMETHING.

Try a bunch of different things and maybe you will find that one thing that gets you going and you enjoy!!

For me kickboxing was my thing. Then it's now spread and now I also love running and swimming. Also the fitter you get, the more different kinds of sports you can enjoy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I could stop if I had too. Unfortunately that has always been my problem. I will go years exercising regularly. And during that time I will feel horrible when I have to skip more than 1 or 2 days in a row. Then something will cause me to have to quit for a short period (injury, illness, etc.) and then I don't get back to a regular schedule until I've packed back on 20 - 30 lbs. Some people are yo-yo dieters. Eating right is easy for me. I'm a yo-yo exerciser.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm ok with a rest day. But any more than three in a row, and I get stabby. If I had to take a long term break, I'm pretty sure I'd need to go back on an antidepressant.

You know how a cat can sleep for 23 hours straight, then gets The Zoomies, tears through the house, jumps up a wall, tears back through the house, then goes right back to sleep? I get like that. I need my zoomies, or I go nuts.

LOL - stabby - that sounds like me! I took my first rest day in a long time when I travelled for Thanksgiving and I was so crabby (and not too far from stabby) the next day. Thankfully there was snow to clean up at Mom's and it was nice enough out so we went for a walk. That helped A LOT! When I thought about it, I was amazed that I'd gotten to that point. I remember a few years ago when I made fun of my friend for being like that. We went on a trip and she HAD to go to the gym at the hotel or she was gonna go nuts. I thought about going with her but lazing around sounded much more fun to me. Now I'm just like her!

ETA: Re, the OP question. If my health depended on it, I would stop but I would try to find an alternative like the OP did. I'd try all the other machines in the gym to see if I could get my cardio in some other way (maybe bike?) and/or focus more on strength training.
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I too get antsy on my DOR. I usually work out 6 days a week and then rest on Sundays.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I am TERRIBLE at taking rest days! I tried to take three days off a few months ago because I felt like I was overtraining (muscle soreness that didn't get better, higher heart rate than usual, trouble sleeping). I made it through two of the three days. On the third day, I thought 'I'll just take a walk'. That walk turned into 90 minutes of tough hill climbing. LOL

I take a rest day probably once every two weeks. I usually pick a weekday (workday) when I have less free time as my rest day. I love doing long workouts on the weekends, so I've actually never taken a rest day on Saturday or Sunday.

However, I don't have a problem taking rest days when I'm sick or injured. Several years ago, I had an acute bout of very severe vertigo. I couldn't stand or walk without falling over. I couldn't drive. I couldn't sit at my desk and do my computer job. I was bed-ridden for about two weeks. There was no way I could have exercised!
  • REBEE17
    REBEE17 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to feel like that. I need to get into a routine of working out first. I'm so sporadic with it. :embarassed:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I'm ok with a rest day. But any more than three in a row, and I get stabby. If I had to take a long term break, I'm pretty sure I'd need to go back on an antidepressant.

You know how a cat can sleep for 23 hours straight, then gets The Zoomies, tears through the house, jumps up a wall, tears back through the house, then goes right back to sleep? I get like that. I need my zoomies, or I go nuts.

Same for me. 3 day is pretty much my max :)
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    StacySkinny - you just need to find something that works for you and you really enjoy, and that will be it :) You will come back for more and more and get addicted. There are that many sports / exercises and things out there now, you're bound to enjoy SOMETHING.

Try a bunch of different things and maybe you will find that one thing that gets you going and you enjoy!!

For me kickboxing was my thing. Then it's now spread and now I also love running and swimming. Also the fitter you get, the more different kinds of sports you can enjoy.

Thank you, I appreciate the advice. :) I'll keep looking and trying different things. Hopefully soon I'll find what I enjoy. :D I can't wait until I'm able to run! I'm so looking forward to that.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I miss 2 weeks of every month when I have my children.

For the first day or two I'm fine.
    Then I get p*ssy. I need my gym.
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I feel like i am gonna go nuts if i don't workout. :noway: I used to workout for 1 to 2 hours a day, now i have cut it down but I still need to workout everyday. Rest days are hard for me but I know i need them.
  • eponine1976
    eponine1976 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I can go about 3 days without cardio before I start going a little crazy. Cardio always relieves stress so wonderfully for me and makes me feel so good that I miss it if I can't do it. Unfortunately, I have a tendency to get bronchitis and pneumonia really easily and anytime that happens my asthma also goes out of control and I usually end up having to take 2 weeks off anytime I get sick in order to give my lungs a chance to fully heal. Sometimes my doctor wants me to take even more time off than that depending on how my recovery is going. Even after the illness itself is cleared up usually my asthma stays bad for at least another 3-4 days and I just can't do cardio if I can't breathe! By the time my doctor finally clears me to exercise again I'm usually going nuts with the need to exercise and to relieve any stress or tension that was building up during my forced inactivity.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    No rest for the wicked with seasonal allergies. Winter is the only time of year I don't go around feeling like I've been run over. I'm still a snot faucet when I'm walking or running, but it's nothing compared to that all over misery I get during hot weather. The thought of not working out right now, knowing that Spring, Summer, and most of Fall will probably put me out is unendurable. I just keep hoping if I can get most of the weight off by May I'll somehow figure out how to keep going through the worst of the Summer.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I love rest days.
    I got better results when I stopped working out every day and swapped to a 3day split.

Same here! I love working out and I love my rest days! I have had my best results by going at it hard for 3 days and taking the 4th day off. I never feel guilty taking a day off but then I'm so busy with other stuff I don't have time to think about it lol
  • alicollins74
    alicollins74 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I think I would also go crazy. Even when I have my DOR, I am still thinking about working out and get restless or antsy...At first I didn't know what it was from but know now it's that I love to exercise! (which i never thought i would say)
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!