Does anyone know of execises that will target your hips?

Lets just say that I have a well defined butt and I have hits. Though I am very thin everywhere else. I have to go up a size in pants due to my butt. Though the pants are bigger everywhere else. I know this has a lot to do with your diet. Probably my hormones as well. I take in 1800-1900 calories a day and with my hrm burn 300-500 calories a day.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Genetics! I am pear shaped, always was, always will be. Even as a scrawny high school student, I still had hips and a butt. I have always had issues with loose waist bands with pants that fit my butt and hips. You can't spot reduce, especially when it is just the way you are built. As I lost weight, my hips and butt got smaller but they will never be *that* small.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Do you want to strengthen the hip flexors? or get smaller hips? Because exercises strengthen, they do not spot-reduce.

You can strengthen you hips (and also your back/stomach) by doing Stiff-legged deadlifts, good mornings, full sit-ups, and other excercises that get you bending fully at the middle.
  • jenniferhiggins
    jenniferhiggins Posts: 116 Member
    I would love to reduce my hip size and my butt. I wish that I could tone my hip and waist area. I mean I do not have love handles. Though I would like to reduce that area. If that makes sense. I was trying to do some research online to see if I could find some exercises on that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    No exercise spot reduces a specific area. If you're trying to lose fat, then stay on a consistent calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jenniferhiggins
    jenniferhiggins Posts: 116 Member
    actually the more I think about it, it would be for a little love handle. So what would good for love handles.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    actually the more I think about it, it would be for a little love handle. So what would good for love handles.
    Again, there are no exercises you can do to spot reduce any part of the body.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    I would love to reduce my hip size and my butt. I wish that I could tone my hip and waist area. I mean I do not have love handles. Though I would like to reduce that area. If that makes sense. I was trying to do some research online to see if I could find some exercises on that.

If you magically did just lose fat around your hips but not elsewhere, you'd be disproportionate and look weird (or like a man). Fortunately you can't spot reduce fat! So start doing resistance exercises and eating healthier. The hips and waist are the last places you'll lose the fat, so even if you think you look skinny elsewhere, it's normal to still have fat in those locations.
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    If you could spot reduce fat with exercise, people who chew gum would have skinny faces.
  • If you could spot reduce fat with exercise, people who chew gum would have skinny faces.

Haha, this made me laugh.

On topic- Yeah, it's true we can't spot reduce. I currently weigh 101 lbs at 5"0-5"1. My waist is 23" but my hips are at 34". Pear shaped till the end even when I'm relatively small in size. :sad:
  • Shani262
    Shani262 Posts: 68 Member
    Everyone is quite right about spot reducing but I have found that since I started running it has done wonders for those areas.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    No exercise spot reduces a specific area. If you're trying to lose fat, then stay on a consistent calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member

I keep hoping someone is eventually going to prove this wrong. After all, a recent study just proved that sitting on your rear all day will make it bigger, so maybe there's hope for ways to make specific areas smaller! (Aside from not sitting all day, that is.)

Yeah, I know, wishful thinking!
  • PsiChi
    PsiChi Posts: 157

This guy know what's up, listen to him. It is impossible to spot reduce. Remain on deficient and take a multi.