Confused about Food Labels

Options
As I was eating my steel cut oats today, it occurred to me that I may not be calculating my calories correctly. The label says that 1/4 cup is 150 calories, so I have been measuring 1/4 cup then cooking them and logging 150 calories, even though by the time they are done it comes to almost a whole cup. Same thing goes for pasta . Should I go by 1/4 cup raw or cooked to get the 150 calories ?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    How do they end up heavier?
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I think if it was for cooked, it would be called out as cooked on the label. It should be 1/4 cup before cooking.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    You are doing it correctly, always weight pasta and steel cut oat before cooking:happy:
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    usually it says cooked or dry on the label but usually it's assumed you measure dry.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    As I was eating my steel cut oats today, it occurred to me that I may not be calculating my calories correctly. The label says that 1/4 cup is 150 calories, so I have been measuring 1/4 cup then cooking them and logging 150 calories, even though by the time they are done it comes to almost a whole cup. Same thing goes for pasta . Should I go by 1/4 cup raw or cooked to get the 150 calories ?

The reason why you measure it raw is because it absorbs water in the cooking process. The more you cook it the more water it absorbs and the "larger" the portion gets. I often like my oats not so thick so I add 1 1/2 times the amount of water when cooking it. So I am still only eating the same amount it just takes up more space because of the additional water. Pasta too. When you cook it for a longer period of time it gets "bigger". It is simply absorbing more water.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    The lable is usually before cooking. When you cook something in water, it only absorbs water which is not adding any calories.