What do you think a 5'4-5 should weigh

Options

Replies

• gemtstone
    gemtstone Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i'm 5 4 135 is my ideal weight, people say I look to thin at that weight but I feel good there.

At 110 or 115 I would look pretty bad.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Personally, I believe it is bone structure and age. I am 5'6, in my 20's I weighed 120, in my 30's and 40's I weighed 140. In my fifties. I weighed 150...weird...My friends who are 5"2 weigh 105 to 110. I was a 7 and I would settle for a 10. I think when you are young, you look better thinner. As you age, you look better a bit heavier. My Mom was 5'4 and weighed 100. She was always trying to gain and NO, she didn't have cancer.

It is up to you and these are strictly my opinion I do NOT mean to offend anyone.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" too and without trying I sit comfortably at 130 (although I'm not happy with that image). I was about 120 in my photo, which is my goal again. That was my pre-baby weight and that's where I felt I looked my best. But it definitely defends on your build, curves, etc. I don't think there is any standard weight for someone of any size. Too many factors playing in...
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    This totally depends on your shape, ethnicity, how happy you are with your shape etc. To me, there is no 'Ideal' weight, neither should you weight a certain amount. Right now I weigh 167 pounds and am technically a stone overweight yet I have a 28 inch waist and I am fit as a fiddle. I have massive butt yet I am pretty happy with my shape. A lot of people my height look totally different to me. If you are going by BMI then probably around the 140 mark but personally I think BMI is bull.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4'' and at my lowest weight of 125, I wore a size zero and all of my bones stuck out. Even my doctor told me to gain some weight ( I probably should have stopped quite a few pounds ago, lol!) The BMI scale is only good when looking at the population as a whole. If you look and feel good where you are now, you should think about moving into maintenance and quit trying to shed a couple of extra pounds.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    for my body frame, which is pretty small, i think a BMI of 20 is perfect for me to maintain. If you were 5'4.5" a BMI of 20 is about 118, so i would go for that :D
  • Mikesrobin
    Mikesrobin Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am 47 years old and 5' 4.5" at my lowest I was 120 lbs (around 25 years old) and I was too skinny. I think it depends on the person. At both my lowest weight and my highest weight (180 Lbs) I had health issues. I am a medium framed person and 135 is a good weight for me.
  • rachelmarie1
    rachelmarie1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5' 4 3/4" I'm just about 27, have a medium build, and have a child already. My goal weight is 145 (i wouldn't mind being 135, but I'm not aiming for it). This is my personal goal because I am slightly older, but I have also always had big boobs and been curvey, I like my curves (well minus the extra weight right now) :smile: . There is such a large scale range for our height because of the different body structures people have. Just set a realistic goal for yourself first and if you are happy with that weight then start toning with strength exercises. If you are seeing your ribcage then in my opinion you have lost to much weight. Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    If you're going by the BMI chart, the healthy weight range for someone 5'4" is anywhere from 107-145. I'm 5'4", I clearly remember being 105 lbs (and I was taking diet pills and practically starving myself to be that thin - fitting into size 2 and 3 clothing iirc) and it was honestly too small for me. As soon as I went off the diet pills I immediately gained 10 lbs even though I didn't change my eating habits - I felt pretty good at 115 but I wasn't in very good shape (wearing mostly 5's and 7's depending on the brand). I started here on MFP at 165 lbs with a goal to try and get down around 125 - I picked that b/c it's nicely in the middle of the healthy range for my height, and I remember 115 and 130 very clearly and feel like 125 is a good goal based on my past experiences and the fact that I want to have more muscle than when I was 115. And I have a feeling I might fit back into a 7 even though I won't be trying to get back down to 115, simply b/c I'm working my butt off these days and will be in better shape when I get there.

It's really individual. You have to take into account the size of your frame, how muscular you are (muscular people may weigh more but actually fit into smaller clothes b/c their body mass is more compact), and mainly how YOU look and feel at a particular weight. One person might look and feel their best at 125, someone else might look and feel their best at 145. Honestly, and this is hard, but it's might be a good idea to focus less on what the scale is telling you and more on how you feel in your skin and clothes. And if you are not happy with how you look and feel in your clothes and are persistently trying to lose weight but not getting any results, maybe consider if what you REALLY want is to lose weight, or if you just want to look and feel better in your clothes. You can accomplish that w/o losing a bunch more weight, if you change up your exercise routine to help give your new smaller body a different shape.

Good luck on figuring out what's right for you. :-)
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    They say weight range for a reason. Different people are healthier at different weights, depending on body proportions, age and gender. I saw a lovely post yesterday on "skinny fat" - showing the same person at two different weights. The picture that showed the woman more slim and tone had her weighing 5 lbs more than the picture of her with less muscle tone. For that person, more weight was definitely healthier.

So, the answer is, it depends on a lot of factors. I think we put too much emphasis on the numbers.
  • trappedinfat
    trappedinfat Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't always go with what the BMI tells you to be. I have several friends actually in that "healthy weight" that look like they need to eat a cheeseburger! If you feel healthy and are close in the range, I'd say your fine. And be careful...over stressing over a few pounds can ultimately lead to eating disorder tendencies.
  • rachelmarie1
    rachelmarie1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Wow-- some of the posts were scaring me. I am 5'5" and my goal weight is 155. Maybe I am not aiming for enough.. but, trying to lose the 40 pounds to get there seemed unreachable to me. (and please.. I know that there are people who need to lose more.. I am just saying for "me"-- it seemed to be a huge endeavor). I will have to go with the folks who say "look in the mirror"-- Also, I don't want to go just by a number on the scale.. I don't want to be just thin.. I want to look (and be) fit and tone!!

Every person is different, depending on where we are in our stage of life, our body type, and our personal goals, we can all have something different in mind. I'm aiming for 145 and i will be extremely psyched to reach that goal! You could have 20 people in the same room that are all 5' 5" and weigh 140 pounds and they could all look very different from each other.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    This totally depends on your shape, ethnicity, how happy you are with your shape etc. To me, there is no 'Ideal' weight, neither should you weight a certain amount. Right now I weigh 167 pounds and am technically a stone overweight yet I have a 28 inch waist and I am fit as a fiddle. I have massive butt yet I am pretty happy with my shape. A lot of people my height look totally different to me. If you are going by BMI then probably around the 140 mark but personally I think BMI is bull.

I totally agree with this. ...and, I think people worry way, way too much about the numbers. I only recently (last few months or so) started tracking what I eat/exercise, and then went back and changed my "goal macros" to fit what I eat most naturally, just with listening to my body, and eating when I'm hungry and what I want. I've never actually been on a diet in my life, but then I've never had kids (although I'm thinking about it :-) ), or any other major body changing event. Where I'm at now size-wise, is where I've always been, within about a 14 lb window, this is where I fall naturally, with normal activity and eating habits. Maybe it will change with age/having kids, we'll see.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    depends on body fat %. i have a pretty high body fat % (27) so i'm 128 lb now and want to get down to 122. i am trying to preserve lean mass while losing the last 6 so trying to up my protien.

oh and i am 5'4" and 32 years old, medium frame.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    108-115

Depending on muscle mass
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    honestly it depends on your age too. for me now that i am in my 30s i would not aim for below 120. that might have been ok in my teens and 20s but i feel like i need a little more weight now.
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I am 62yr, 5'5" and feel best at around 140#. According to all the charts I can find, and according to my doctors, the best AVERAGE weight range for my height is 120 - 150#. Under 140# I look sick so I am shooting for the ultimate goal of 142 - 145#. I say the best answer is where you feel healthy and what your doctors say for your medical status.
  • rosieratbag
    rosieratbag Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and my initial goal was 140lb which I'm very close to (my SW was 156). I MAY revise my goal but probably only down to 135. I can't even begin to imagine being less than about 130. But I agree it is dependent on boady type, shape and age. In my late teens I was about about 110-115 which was OK then but wouldn't be a good look now.
  • fatty2fit88
    fatty2fit88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and I weigh 132....... works for me...trying to get fitter though! As long as you are within normal BMI you are alright....
  • Ashonym
    Ashonym Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what my frame is honestly. But I'm 5'5" and162. Hoping to reach 130 and see how I feel. What is I
    nteresting is that I currently wear size twelve jeans and some gracious tens, but when I was my lowest of 126lbs, way back when, I wore size tens and twelves even then! So I'm curious to see what happens at that weight this time. My ultimate goal at the lowest would be 125.