Developing abscesses from exercise?

In the last 6 months I have really upped my workouts and started doing more cardio. In the last 6 months I have developed several large abscesses on my skin. I am starting to think there is a correlation between the abscesses and all the sweaty workouts. I try to shower as close to immediately after a workout as possible, however I do watch a friend of mine's baby and some days it could be up to an hour before I am able to after a workout. Could this be related? The doctors have suggested antibacterial soap, but that doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    I'm not an expert in dermatology (cardiac nurse here....), but I think it's unlikely they're related unless it's an area where you're chafing. Make and appointment with your primary doc or dermatologist (preferrably derm, but they can take up to 2 months to get in to see). It might be a fungal infection that can easily be treated with oral antifungals.
  • wannalosew82
    wannalosew82 Posts: 108 Member
    Are you talking about something like carbuncles/boils?
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Sweating definitely could be related. I used to get the same thing. And odds are, you're getting them in places where you'd sweat alot. Thighs, butt, groin, armpits. I have had mine break out into staph infections. I dealt with them for 4 years until I started to lose some weight and up my activity. They "think" it's hormone related because when I was pregnant, I never got any. I've been tested for everything else.

Antibacterial soap never did anything for me.

Good luck. I know a few remedies if you want to message me. They're super painful, I can definitely relate!
  • trappedinfat
    trappedinfat Posts: 43 Member
    Are you talking about something like carbuncles/boils?
    Yes I am talking about carbuncles.