sea salt any better for you than reg. salt?

Options
just curious?

Angie

Replies

• scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Most products labeled sea salt aren't really any different than regular salt. Look for a salt that hasn't been bleached and processed. Something like Himilayan (sp) salt.

Salts like this will be much more expensive but they have much more minerals and a lot more flavor.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Do we consider "more minerals" = healthy ?
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    No.
    I like sea salt better (& exotic salts, like the pink & black, Hawaiian salts, etc), because of the taste and texture, but it's not like one has less sodium, it's still the chemical makeup of the mineral salt. Some of those colored salts might have more trace minerals, but I wouldn't at all factor that into my decision on what to eat, no.
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Do we consider "more minerals" = healthy ?
    Only if your specific nutritional needs are for those minerals. But at least in unprocessed salts they are available where as in white salts they generally are not.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The biggest difference, from what I've heard, is that if you're using a teaspoon of sea salt in a recipe or whatever, each individual grain of salt is larger than regular table salt, the spaces between them are larger, so you're using less salt overall per teaspoon.
  • pfeiferfit
    pfeiferfit Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    KOSHER salt has less sodium, approx 100mg sodium / 1/4 teaspoon. A chef friend told me, and I looked it up. (Trust no one!)

So replace your home salt with kosher...

I use flaked fleur de sel in my cooking because i pinch and control better, but often I season with herbs VS salt.
  • pfeiferfit
    pfeiferfit Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Wait, dammit! Kosher or koshering salt (since all salt is generally kosher) seems to be lower sodium for the same reasons as sea salt. Bigger crystals. If anyone knows more, hit us up! NOW I'm CURIOUS!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Sodium is sodium. Just watch your total intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It makes you feel superior
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Neither is actually that bad. Salt is the last thing you need to worry about. I've never seen any convincing data that showed a significant benefits from reducing salt in your diet, and it has been studied quite a bit. About 1/3 of the population can supposedly get chronically elevated BP from too much salt, but you have to wonder if those people are also the ones who just never exercise.

EDIT: reducing salt intake has not been shown to be an effective method for reducing blood pressure.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Salt is salt. Chemically it's all the same. The only differences are the sizes of the crystals.
  • monty_williams
    Options
    Sea salt does not typically have Iodine added to it, which is a necessary nutrient. Also,the focus on salt/sodium related to elevated blood pressure is typically misguided. Elevated blood pressure related to sodium intake is actually due to the intake ratio of sodium and potassium. Most people do not get enough potassium, it's been suggested most are 1000mg deficient per day, but get sufficient or excess sodium. If those people would increase their potassium intake in relation to their sodium intake, in most cases the sodium derived elevated blood pressure would be resolved.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    It makes you feel superior

LOL.
  • jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I was taught in culinary school that all salt in sea salt
  • MarieAnneN
    Options
    just curious?

Angie

Salt is salt. No matter. You need to watch your sodium intake and all quantities are equal no matter the type.
  • Amyjoyh
    Options
    Sea salt has 98 mineals that are good for us and table salt has 2. Also there is sugar in table salt... I didnt believe it till I read the ingrediant label.
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    l like mrs dash salt...
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    They make lite salt, 50% less sodium than regular.
    http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/foodsalts/Lite_Salt.htm
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about health benefits plus or minus, but I only use Maldon Sea Salt. Little flakes so soft you can crumble then between your finger and thumb rather than using a grinder.

I am a salt snob :blushing:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    salt is salt, but sea salt usually is coarser than standard table salt, and the texture often means that you end up using less of it. So "no," but "yes." Sort of. ;)