Side of effects of eating low carb- 3 months

Options

Replies

• SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It was also a low calorie diet :)

Edit: That wasn't meant as a dig btw. If low carbs work for you and you're not sick because of it, awesome. I just suspect that most low carb diets work because the person accidentally has a calorie deficit.

I wish diet and nutrition wasn't like religion! There are so many camps and they all say that all other camps are wrong.

Totally agree. Never knew how hot all of these ideals could be until I joined MFP.

If you are losing weight, you are happy, you are healthy, then you are right. (yay!). Just because you are right for you, doesn't mean you are right for me, but I congratulate your successes. I appreciate that the poster was just sharing and not attempting to stuff her low-carb journey down anyone else's figurative throat.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    On your sister, well that is just circumstantial evidence. My younger sister and I have both been strictly vegetarian since childhood, and we are both almost uncannily healthy. When I was pregnant both times, my midwives had to double check all my stats as she had never seen anyone with absolutely textbook levels of everything. Every time I have had blood tests, it is always noted that my results are "perfect", so as far as I am concerned there is no personal evidence I should be eating meat. Or not eating oats.

So I provide what you call circumstantial evidence, and you come back with your own circumstantial evidence? All I know is that she was a good little vegitarian/vegan, working strictly within the tennants of the way of eating and she got fatter and more unhealthy by the year. Her son also has improved since going Paleo, appearing to reverse some developmental and learning difficulties and curing "ADHD" within a few short months.
    [/quote]

Well that was my point. Your evidence was arbitrary because my experience of the exact same thing had totally opposite results. Neither proves anything at all, I was just countering like with like.
  • fteale
    Options
    It always turns into a debate because some people love to nitpick or bash it. Bottom line is that you are loosing the weight you want and feeling better, so that's all that matters.

I wasn't nitpicking or bashing at all. I said it hadn't worked for me, that was all. I was then laid into for being a vegetarian.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Low carb eating is great! IF you can sustain it. It has to be a forever lifestyle way of eating. I KNOW by experience. I lost 80lbs eating 40 carbs a day. The weight practically fell off BUT once you eat this way for any period of time(I did for 2 yrs) and you start eating more carbs to quickly the weight comes on faster than it came off.I gained back 80lbs in a year! I eat lower carb now but I make sure my carbs are a lot higher than 40. I really consider myself a calorie counter trying to stay away from refined sugar and flour.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

I wasn't nitpicking or bashing at all. I said it hadn't worked for me, that was all. I was then laid into for being a vegetarian.

I wouldn't say that, and I won't derail the thread more, but originally (though probably coming off wrong?) my thought was to find out why low carbing doesn't work for some people since you mentioned that. More often than not people have not really looked into what low carb really means, and just go off of sensational media ideas (EAT BACON ALL THE TIME AND NOTHING ELSE!!!!!!) and find themselves feeling sick. Case in point a good friend of mine that has always had weight issues tried to go low carb years ago but didn't read any of the books that Atkins published (which I recommended before starting) and just ate TONS of meat and cheese and really no vegtables. No wonder he felt like crap. He's now Paleo years later and making better choices and feels better than he has in his entire life. I think the opposite is also true when you don't introduce fats to a diet primarily vegetable based and try to go low carb.

Diet is a touchy subject and some come off as combative I suppose. To be blunt I think vegetarianism is a fad diet all based around making everyone feeling good about not eating fuzzy little animals, and making other try to feel bad about doing so. Vegetarians generally feel that (in my experience) that my diet is barbaric, heart clogging, bacon fest that will ultimately destroy me and the world. To each his own I guess. I just know that eating this way make me feel and look better and in a misguided pushy way in this thread I have suggested that it is the only way to properly eat. I guess I'd just like to share the wealth as it were with those that don't realize what they are missing. No offense intended, really.
  • yummummum
    Options
    Low carb eating is great! IF you can sustain it. It has to be a forever lifestyle way of eating. I KNOW by experience. I lost 80lbs eating 40 carbs a day. The weight practically fell off BUT once you eat this way for any period of time(I did for 2 yrs) and you start eating more carbs to quickly the weight comes on faster than it came off.I gained back 80lbs in a year! I eat lower carb now but I make sure my carbs are a lot higher than 40. I really consider myself a calorie counter trying to stay away from refined sugar and flour.

I have seen this happen to a few people I know actually which was part of the reason I was always "against" low carb and a die-hard weight watchers person.

I definitely realize that I will NOT be able to return to the way I was eating. SInce I believe I actually have a gluten intolerance that will make it a little easier. Once I hit my goal weight, I plan to start very carefully seeing if I can add in more fruit, and starchy veggies like squash, sweet potato. And an occasional splurge on something gluten free like sushi. I know I will not feel well if I get a lot of carbs and sugar so that really helps me.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I believe it!:drinker:
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Wow that's awesome! The biggest selling point for me was "no PMS". That's incentive to start today!!
    Keep it up :)
  • fteale
    Options
    Wow that's awesome! The biggest selling point for me was "no PMS". That's incentive to start today!!

If it works for you, that is great, but please be warned that in general low carbing is known to make PMT worse, as carbs help you regulate your premenstrual hormones. Obviously it is different for different people, but don't assume that because it had that effect for her it will for you.
  • yummummum
    Options

If it works for you, that is great, but please be warned that in general low carbing is known to make PMT worse, as carbs help you regulate your premenstrual hormones. Obviously it is different for different people, but don't assume that because it had that effect for her it will for you.

Where are you getting your info?
  • fteale
    Options

I looked into it for a friend a while ago who was struggling with atkins for this reason. I can't remember the exact studies I found back then, but a quick google will give you any number of examples. The gist is keep refined sugars down, but eat plenty of starchy food. Also you need more fit B6 which is in starchy food such as whole grains, bananas, brown rice and nuts.

Here's just one of the many articles out there http://www.jbsoulscan.com/content/premenstrual-tension-pmt-or-premenstural-syndrome-pms
  • alanabancroft
    Options
    bump for later
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

I looked into it for a friend a while ago who was struggling with atkins for this reason. I can't remember the exact studies I found back then, but a quick google will give you any number of examples. The gist is keep refined sugars down, but eat plenty of starchy food. Also you need more fit B6 which is in starchy food such as whole grains, bananas, brown rice and nuts.

Here's just one of the many articles out there http://www.jbsoulscan.com/content/premenstrual-tension-pmt-or-premenstural-syndrome-pms

I have never heard of this and every woman I know that has been on a lower carb plan says that giving up the grains and starchy foods is what rid them of their PMS.

And many, many, many OB / GYN's will agree.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Which is exactly why I am doing it...I was doing it before but then strayed and gained the weight and lost the good feeling. So I'm back on the wagon and determined to see it through.
  • fteale
    Options

I have never heard of this and every woman I know that has been on a lower carb plan says that giving up the grains and starchy foods is what rid them of their PMS.

And many, many, many OB / GYN's will agree.
    [/quote]

And I know plenty who won't.

I am not saying it didn't happen for the OP, just that there is a lot of evidence out there to the contrary so don't assume it will be a magic pill.
  • brunzella92
    brunzella92 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm thinking of going this route again. I did it before and was NEVER hungry, just need the willpower to see it through!!
  • namenumber
    namenumber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Wow! Awesome!
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    bump. Amazing!!
  • TigersFanIndy34
    Options
    You can adjust what percentage of your calories come from Protein, Carbs, and Fat. If you go to "My Home", Goals, Fitness Goals. I have mine set to Carbs 25%, Protein 40%, and Fat 35%. It works great parsing the calories from exercise into these categories as well.

Oh wow - thanks so much! I honestly didn't know that... I just went and changed it more in line to what works for me (40-30-30) and I think it'll be so cool to not see all that red! I also ALWAYS go over on my fiber so I thought I'd give myself 5 more grams there. I don't believe a person has to go crazy on fiber but I also know that fiber isn't probably what made me fat lol. I'm so excited to learn I can adjust this I am doing a happy dance! yay - gotta do it 18 more minutes so I can call it a workout :)
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    3 months of eating no grains and low carb, low sugar: (eating all natural veggies, protein and lots of good fat)

23 pounds lost- 6.5 inches from waist gone-( size 12/14 to size 8)
    depression lifted (this is the most amazing side effect) sense of well being.
    energy all day
    stomach pain completely gone
    bloating and swelling gone
    PMS gone!
    feeling fit- energy to work out
    never hungry. no blood sugar crashes. no 3pm fatigue.

I no longer eat pasta or breads - a staple in my old Italian-American diet.
    It was killing my progress.