Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Raw red peppers, or raw broccoli. Yum!
  • icandoallthings
    icandoallthings Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    hmmmm.... I can't decide. I love veggies!

Butternut squash may be at the top of the list.
    I second the Asparagus comments - yummers!
    (My Dad always called it "spread-a-grass")

Broccoli, Black olives, Spinach, Corn, Mushrooms....

:love:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Like others have said grilling and roasting in the oven are both easy ways to get alot of flavor. Both can be done with a variety of vegetables. I start with olive oil and some crushed garlic, salt & pepper. The amount of olive oil depends on how much vegies you have. You really only want just enough to coat them. You don't want them swimming in oil. You can also add herbs in. Fresh or dried. Some combinations I likes.

Grilled: yellow, red, orange peppers, zucchini, yellow squash baby eggplant or Italian eggplant (these are both smaller than the regular ones. I like them better.) These are good even without the garlic but I like garlic so in it goes. I also like thyme or rosemary with these.
    I grill extra of these and put them into sauce for pasta.

Green beans, yellow beans, sugar snap peas & broccoli grilled are so good. I only use the olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper. I don't grill them together but use the same idea. I also like a few red pepper flakes to spice up the broccoli.

Oven roasting works good for potato, sweet potato, rutabega, acorn squash ( during the fall there are lots of varieties of squash to try)

Corn on the cob is good grilled. I take off all the silk and husks. For 2 ear of corn I melt 1 tbl of butter add in some fresh squeezed lime juice, chopped fresh cilanto, a little salt & pepper. Lay each ear on a piece of foil. Brush with butter mixture. Wrap and grill for about 30 min. I think you could also use a steam fresh baggie and do this in the microwave.

After you start cooking and experimenting you'll find you'll never get bored with vegetables. Especially because they change with the seasons. Look for farmers markets where you live. Everything tastes better when it's fresh!
    I hope you enjoy cooking and experimenting:flowerforyou:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I'm going to buy some veggies and try them out. I want to know what you're faves are, and how you prepare them! Details please, so I know what to buy and how to do it. :) I'm a new cooker haha.
    Spinach in the bag...its versatile you can eat it cold like lettuce or saute it and eat warm with chicken or veggies....its a much better choice when making salads because it provides a lot more nutrition than lettuce.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Ok so this is hard because I love almost all veggies but right now I am really liking Turnip!

My mom use to mash it and add brown sugar. My mother in law makes a turnip casserole with apples in it that is good too. But recently I have been having it at work in the afternoon as a snack. I buy it already cubed so all I do is add a bit of water and microwave it for about 4mins. Then I drain the excess water and add a tiny bit of salt. It is surprisingly awesome!

i also love grilled veggies. Yeah BBQ season!:happy:
  • kel9680
    kel9680 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I'm going to buy some veggies and try them out. I want to know what you're faves are, and how you prepare them! Details please, so I know what to buy and how to do it. :) I'm a new cooker haha.
    Spinach in the bag...its versatile you can eat it cold like lettuce or saute it and eat warm with chicken or veggies....its a much better choice when making salads because it provides a lot more nutrition than lettuce.

I love the bagged spinach in place of lettuce for salads! yummy
    fresh broccoli is my other fave, with some light dressing to dip it in!!
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    Asparagus roasted in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper and a little parmesean!
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Portabella mushrooms! Drizzle a little EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) over top the caps. Kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, throw on a grill or roast in the oven till tender! Love this! You can eat it just like a burger on 100% whole wheat buns. I like to add just a bit of gargonzola crumbled over top instead of "fake cheese." Gargonzola has great punch of flavor without needing a whole lot. I use about 1/4 tsp crumbled on most every sandwich I make. Love it in whole wheat pasta, too. The mushrooms go great with a side of pasta tossed with 1 tsp REAL butter, a little crushed garlic, red pepper flakes. Awesome meal and quick. Great the day after for lunch!

Other faves are broccoli, cauliflower, yellow summer squash (fave, fave) and baby butter lettuce is the best as a salad all on its own. Toss with a tsp of parmesan and 2 tbsp of low-fat dressing-yum!
  • bugmagnt
    bugmagnt Posts: 150
    Options
    I, too, love spinach as part of my salads....and fruits like strewberries and blueberries are nice additions to salads, too (ok.. not veggies...) Jicama is great in salads too for a crunch!

I love snacking on sugar snap peas... a nice crunch and sweetness.

For a cooked veggie, I really like yellow squash. I cut it into slices and then quarter those, and usually nuke them in a bowl with a little margarine/butter and some pepper. Simple, but a great mild taste.

have you thought about sweet potatoes too?
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    celery!
  • candycaneps
    candycaneps Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Oooh I love lots of veggies.

Lately I have been eating a lot of spinach. I get the frozen kind and add some vinegar to it. YUM.