sea salt any better for you than reg. salt?

Options

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    No.
    I like sea salt better (& exotic salts, like the pink & black, Hawaiian salts, etc), because of the taste and texture, but it's not like one has less sodium, it's still the chemical makeup of the mineral salt. Some of those colored salts might have more trace minerals, but I wouldn't at all factor that into my decision on what to eat, no.

Because sea salts are stronger in taste, less is more, so therefore you will end up consuming way less sodium in general. The stronger the sea salt, the less you use and less sodium consumed.

We switched to sea salt back in 2005 and haven't looked back. I have quite the little selection of different salts from around the world and is a way to add different tastes to foods.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Idk? Whenever my thyroid levels were low, my doctor specifically told me to use iodized salt because of the iodine in it...so there's that.
  • richardholt2011
    richardholt2011 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It tastes a lot better. Crunching the flakes in your mouth so they burst on your tongue - fantastic. Just use as rarely as you can - salt is quite an easy habit to get out of
  • Grokette
    Options
    just curious?

Angie

Salt is salt. No matter. You need to watch your sodium intake and all quantities are equal no matter the type.

With sea salts you use WAY less, therefore you are consuming way less salt. It takes about a third of the amount of sea salt to flavor a meal than with regular table salt.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    The biggest difference, from what I've heard, is that if you're using a teaspoon of sea salt in a recipe or whatever, each individual grain of salt is larger than regular table salt, the spaces between them are larger, so you're using less salt overall per teaspoon.

The bigger crystals also "melt" more slowly, so the taste is more pronounced when used on meats etc at the table. There is even a measuring difference between brands depending upon the crystal size.
  • rocuf
    rocuf Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    All salt is sea salt. Just how old it might be or other assorted minerals that add flavor/texture. Its really only a taste thing.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Iodine in the amounts we need are found in common foods when they are grown in proper soils and in the case of meat, raised in a healthy way, so that in itself is not a reason to use regular table salt. I'm however also with others on whether or not salt's health pariah status is justified.
    Sea salt does not typically have Iodine added to it, which is a necessary nutrient. Also,the focus on salt/sodium related to elevated blood pressure is typically misguided. Elevated blood pressure related to sodium intake is actually due to the intake ratio of sodium and potassium. Most people do not get enough potassium, it's been suggested most are 1000mg deficient per day, but get sufficient or excess sodium. If those people would increase their potassium intake in relation to their sodium intake, in most cases the sodium derived elevated blood pressure would be resolved.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Neither is actually that bad. Salt is the last thing you need to worry about. I've never seen any convincing data that showed a significant benefits from reducing salt in your diet, and it has been studied quite a bit. About 1/3 of the population can supposedly get chronically elevated BP from too much salt, but you have to wonder if those people are also the ones who just never exercise.

EDIT: reducing salt intake has not been shown to be an effective method for reducing blood pressure.

There is also a thing called fructose-induced hypertension (and carbs make your body retain sodium and water).

this is an interesting article I just pulled up really quick: http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijn/2011/392708/ (although I believe the amount of carbs that are pushed on us is what is causing us to overeat and become inactive. They keep us hungry. This is my opinion). Of course I think the entire study was done on mice (as usual).

What I've heard about table salt vs. sea salt is they both contain the same amount of sodium per serving BUT sea salt has a stronger flavor so you end up using less.

I stick with Mediterranean Pink, and Himalayan Sea salts. I'm sorry, but the table salt we know has been industrially processed so much that I don't consider it real salt. And sea salt just tastes better.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Minuet traces of minerals, but not enough to make a difference. (I use it.)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    They make lite salt, 50% less sodium than regular.
    http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/foodsalts/Lite_Salt.htm

^^^This is what I use. It's half sodium, half potassium.
  • Most products labeled sea salt aren't really any different than regular salt. Look for a salt that hasn't been bleached and processed. Something like Himilayan (sp) salt.

Salts like this will be much more expensive but they have much more minerals and a lot more flavor.

He is right. In theory, sea salt is supposed to be better for you bc its all natural and things that are all natural are processed by your body much more easily and efficiently. Unfortuneatly, unless it says organic, theres a good chance its been bleached & processed (like he said). When something is labeled "organic" it is official bc it has to be passed by the FDA to have that labal. Things that say "all natural" don't have to be passed by the FDA and can get away with calling it that when its really processed.

Hope that makes sense!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It makes you feel superior

^^^ this
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    ...things that are all natural are processed by your body much more easily and efficiently.

when and where was *that* proven?
  • Grokette
    Options
    All salt is sea salt. Just how old it might be or other assorted minerals that add flavor/texture. Its really only a taste thing.

Ummm, all salt is not sea salt.

This is a picture of a salt mine. Does this look like the sea or an ocean to you?

SaltMine.jpg
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

This is a picture of a salt mine. Does this look like the sea or an ocean to you?

SaltMine.jpg

Wonder how that salt got underground.......you can call a friend if you like.
  • Grokette
    Options

SaltMine.jpg

Wonder how that salt got underground.......you can call a friend if you like.

It got underground from the drying up of SALT LAKES - which still is NOT sea salt.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    If you say so.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    It tastes a lot better. Crunching the flakes in your mouth so they burst on your tongue - fantastic. Just use as rarely as you can - salt is quite an easy habit to get out of
    My hubster likes a little bit of food with his salt. :laugh:

Honestly, he puts salt on practically everything savoury... even a cracker with salted butter he will add more salt to! My mum loved her salt too, bless her.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Most products labeled sea salt aren't really any different than regular salt. Look for a salt that hasn't been bleached and processed. Something like Himilayan (sp) salt.

Salts like this will be much more expensive but they have much more minerals and a lot more flavor.

He is right. In theory, sea salt is supposed to be better for you bc its all natural and things that are all natural are processed by your body much more easily and efficiently. Unfortuneatly, unless it says organic, theres a good chance its been bleached & processed (like he said). When something is labeled "organic" it is official bc it has to be passed by the FDA to have that labal. Things that say "all natural" don't have to be passed by the FDA and can get away with calling it that when its really processed.

Hope that makes sense!

Sorry to say, but "organic" does not mean the same as "not processed." As long as the food is processed using organic techniques and certified organic chemicals, it can be certified organic.

Just like "organic" doesn't mean "pesticide free," it just means they used organic pesticides.
  • Dgaines54
    Options
    Standard iodized table salt has 590mg sodium per 1.5g. The Sea Salt I own has 570mg sodium per 1.5g. So... 3% less sodium... no significant different (if you go by grams).