Suggestions for White Elephant Gifts

Options
2»

Replies

• DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    This is interesting, never heard of it but coincidently, I always send weird presents to friends. Most moved away and live across Canada, so I mail things out around Christmas or their birthdays.

Whenever I head to the city, I go to value village or the salvation army and stock up on whatever useless/ugly things I can find.

Some things I've sent out in the past:

-a typewriter
    -32lbs of fruitcake*
    -a large,heavy stuffed cat I presume is some sort of doorstop
    -a homemade candle that looked like a troll sitting on a stump, picking his nose
    -a walkman
    -a keychain attached to about 100 different keys
    -I've sent out about a dozen photos of myself framed, posing, black and white that I autographed

*the beauty of the fruitcake was I had a HUGE box I was gonna pack the troll candle into...and walked into the local grocery store, instead of packing peanuts, I was gonna fill the box with pretzels. They had a shopping cart full of discount fruit cake cause it was the week or so after Christmas.

Which reminds me, I also love packing presents in weird stuff. Cheetos, popcorn, I once crammed a garbage bag full of leaves into a box the size a little larger then a basketball.

I think its hilarious. This tradition started around college, when everyone moved away. I'd get their address early on in the year, so months later they'd wonder how the hell i had it.

Oh, and my theory is 'everyone likes gifts...if they dont like my presents, they wont get anymore - ever'.

:)
  • tbrewst
    tbrewst Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Batteries with a note: "Gift not Included"

Bahahah! I would like to give that to my two boys ages 5 and 7!!! What about a shake weight or someother "as seen on tv" item they have at Walmart? Of course, if it's a church group a shake weight may not be appropriate.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Batteries with a note: "Gift not Included"

LOVE this one!!! :laugh:
  • jsjaclark
    Options
    Thanks everyone. All great ideas. I'll let you know what I give (and what I end up with at the end of the night).:smile:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    for mine this year, i bought a coffee mug and then i'm going to wrap the dry ingredients for a chocolate mug cake in cellophane, and type out the instructions and what wet ingredients you need for and print it on cardstock, and attach it with a pretty ribbon.
  • tegla
    tegla Posts: 132
    Options
    (Real gift) I just picked up a Starbuck's mug, a box of variety chocolates and a gift bag, she wrapped the mug and chocolates in the bag for me and it looked really nice.

(Gag gift) A colonoscopy cleansing kit! My hubby chickened out for his colonoscopy and but we'd already gotten the prescribed prep kit, so I'm so anxious to have the best gag gift at the family Xmas this year.

Merry Christmas!
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I got a Table Top Foosball table from Kohl's for our family white elephant game
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Go to the Dollar Store. Find the UGLIEST Christmas Decoration or Houseware they have. There you go.
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Bahahah! I would like to give that to my two boys ages 5 and 7!!! What about a shake weight or someother "as seen on tv" item they have at Walmart? Of course, if it's a church group a shake weight may not be appropriate.
    [/quote]

I really like the As Seen on TV idea---like that strap that holds your bra straps together to make a "Racerback". Or a snuggie!!
  • josiesumerlin
    Options
    In high school I sculpted a head out of clay for art class and painted it, it was heavy and ugly but I was proud of it and gave it to my mom! For the next couple years we wrapped it up and passed it around the family for different occasions, who ever received it got to display it in their house and pass it to the next lucky person.
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    A Homer Simpson head cookie-jar always works. LOL