Foods to help hair grow faster?

Options
Trying to have my hair long-ish by summer - currently its at my collarbones (donated to Locks of Love in July). I'm taking a biotin supplement right now but was wondering if anyone had success at growing their hair out faster & healthier by eating more/less of a particular food group or macro? Any tips & tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• monty_williams
    Options
    Protein, especially protein sources such as beef, dairy, poultry, fish, and nuts which are high in L-Arginine. The body uses L-Arginine to create nitric oxide, which is a vasodialator, and increases blood flow, relaxes blood vessels and hair folicals, and stimulates hair growth. L-Arginine is available as a stand along supplement, and is also contained in many pre-workout supplements (powders and pre-made drinks) used to enhance your workout pump.

There are L-Arginine creams available by prescription, but hair growth is an off-label use and they are not FDA approved for hair growth.

You could also try OTC minoxodil, such as Rogaine for Women, or generic equivalents.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    More protein and fat. Since switching to a higher protein/higher fat diet, my hair is definitely growing faster, it's also a lot shinier and softer. :)
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Riboflavin.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Fat has done wonders for mine.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    FROM WEBMD.COM

Healthy Hair Food No. 1: Salmon
    When it comes to foods that pack a beauty punch, it's hard to beat salmon. Loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, this high-quality protein source is also filled with vitamin B-12 and iron.

"Essential omega-3 fatty acids are needed to support scalp health," says Andrea Giancoli, MPH, RD, a dietitian in Los Angeles and a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association. "A deficiency can result in a dry scalp and thus hair, giving it a dull look."

Vegetarian? Include one or two tablespoons of ground flaxseed in your daily diet for some plant-based omega-3 fats.

Healthy Hair Food No. 2: Dark Green Vegetables
    Popeye the Sailor Man didn't eat all that spinach for healthy hair, but he could have. Spinach, like broccoli and Swiss chard, is an excellent source of vitamins A and C, which your body needs to produce sebum. The oily substance, secreted by your hair follicles, is the body's natural hair conditioner.

Dark green vegetables also provide iron and calcium.

Healthy Hair Food No. 3: Beans
    Beans, beans, they're good for your ... hair?

Yes, it's true. Legumes like kidney beans and lentils should be an important part of your hair-care diet. Not only do they provide plentiful protein to promote hair growth, but ample iron, zinc, and biotin. While rare, biotin deficiencies can result in brittle hair.

Blatner, who is also a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, recommends three or more cups of lentils or beans each week.

Healthy Hair Food No. 4: Nuts
    Do you go nuts for thick, shiny hair? You should.

Brazil nuts are one of nature's best sources of selenium, an important mineral for the health of your scalp.

Walnuts contain alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid that may help condition your hair. They are also a terrific source of zinc, as are cashews, pecans, and almonds. A zinc deficiency can lead to hair shedding, so make sure nuts are a regular on your healthy hair menu.

Healthy Hair Food No. 5: Poultry
    Chickens and turkeys may have feathers, but the high-quality protein they provide will help give you the healthy hair you crave.

"Without adequate protein or with low-quality protein, one can experience weak brittle hair, while a profound protein deficiency can result in loss of hair color," Giancoli tells WebMD.

Poultry also provides iron with a high degree of bioavailability, meaning your body can easily reap its benefits.

Healthy Hair Food No. 6: Eggs
    When it comes to healthy hair, it doesn't matter whether you like your eggs scrambled, fried, or over easy. However they're served up, eggs are one of the best protein sources you can find.

They also contain biotin and vitamin B-12, which are important beauty nutrients.

Healthy Hair Food No. 7: Whole Grains
    Sink your teeth into hearty whole grains, including whole-wheat bread and fortified whole-grain breakfast cereals, for a hair-healthy dose of zinc, iron, and B vitamins.

A whole-grain snack can also be a great go-to food when your energy is zapped halfway through the afternoon, and you've still got hours to go before dinner.

Healthy Hair Food No. 8: Oysters
    Oysters may be better known for their reputation as an aphrodisiac, but they can also lead to healthy hair -- and who doesn't love that?

The key to their love and hair-boosting abilities is zinc -- a powerful antioxidant.

If oysters don't make a regular appearance on your dinner plate, don't despair. In addition to getting it from whole grains and nuts, you can also get zinc from beef and lamb.

Healthy Hair Food No. 9: Low-Fat Dairy Products
    Low-fat dairy products like skim milk and yogurt are great sources of calcium, an important mineral for hair growth. They also contain whey and casein, two high-quality protein sources.

For some healthy hair foods "to-go," try throwing a yogurt or cottage cheese cup in your bag when you head out in the morning to snack on later in the day. You can even boost their hair benefits by stirring in a couple of tablespoons of ground flaxseeds or walnuts for omega-3 fatty acids and zinc.

Healthy Hair Food No. 10: Carrots
    Carrots are an excellent source of vitamin A, which promotes a healthy scalp along with good vision.

Since a healthy scalp is essential for a shiny, well-conditioned head of hair, you'd be wise to include carrots in your diet as snacks or toppings on your salad.

The Big Picture: A Balanced Diet for Healthy Hair
    When it comes to foods for healthy hair and beauty, variety is the best way to go.

"An overall balanced diet of lean proteins, fruits, and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, fatty fish like salmon and low-fat dairy will help keep hair healthy," Giancoli says.

If you're tempted to drop pounds fast with the latest fad diet, it could leave you with less-than-healthy hair -- along with a growling stomach. Low-calorie diets are often low in some of the most important nutrients for healthy hair, including omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, and vitamin A. In addition to stunting hair growth and leading to dullness, super-low calorie plans may even cause hair loss.

"Crash diets can affect the hair cycle," Mirmirani tells WebMD. "Losing a significant amount of weight in a short amount of time can affect that normal hair rhythm. Two to three months later, you might notice a significant increase in shedding. This is a temporary problem that you recover from with a well-rounded diet."
  • ydeleon
    Options
    Love this!!! I must load up my menu with these foods.
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    MSM supplements make my hair grow like crazy... I stopped taking it because I was tired of coloring my hair every 4 wks. :-)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Biotin and healthy fats are great for hair/skin/nails BUT hair growth is largely determined by genetics. Average human hair grows about 1/2 inch per month. A well-balanced diet will help your hair remain stronger (i.e. less breakage) but there's not a lot you can do to make it grow faster.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    (I have looked this up several times, this is how I know :) some more info:

Hair loss affects up to 40% of women and half of men at some point in their lifetimes. Some causes of hair loss include:

Heredity
    Stress
    Inadequate nutrition. This factor can be eliminated by incorporating plenty of foods that promote hair growth into your daily diet.
    High levels of DHT, a hair-loss contributing hormone. Green tea may help correct these problematic hormone imbalances; a low-fat diet may also be beneficial.
    What are the top foods that promote hair growth?
    When choosing food for hair growth, remember that hair is made of protein; therefore protein-rich foods should make up a high percentage of your diet. The second most important hair nutrient is iron. Each key nutrient below lists the foods that promote hair growth:
    Protein: liver, brewer's yeast, fish, eggs, beans, cottage cheese, yogurt, tofu.
    Iron: liver, whole grain cereals, dark green leafy vegetables, eggs, dates, raisins.
    B Vitamins: eggs, meat, poultry.
    Essential Fatty Acids: walnuts, canola oil, fish, soy.
    Vitamin E: avocados, nuts, seeds, olive oil.
    Sulfur: meats, fish, nuts, legumes, vegetables (especially onions).
    As you plan ways to incorporate food for hair growth, also be aware that there are some culprits in our diets that are actually detrimental to our hair!

Caffeine
    Sugar
    Fat
    Carbonated drinks
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    More protein and fat. Since switching to a higher protein/higher fat diet, my hair is definitely growing faster, it's also a lot shinier and softer. :)

This is exactly what I was going to say. I keep a short hair cut and have to go get it shaped up every 2 weeks.
  • Fat has done wonders for mine.

Healthy fats, right? Like from nuts, omega 3's, etc?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    WebMD is bordering on quackery. They are so far in the USDA, FDA and other agencies pocket it is rather disgusting.

They push the whole grains as the end all and be all in nutrition when in fact they are so far the opposite end of the spectrum.

Protein and fat is what makes hair grower stronger and longer faster. Not whole grains.

FROM WEBMD.COM

Healthy Hair Food No. 1: Salmon
    When it comes to foods that pack a beauty punch, it's hard to beat salmon. Loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, this high-quality protein source is also filled with vitamin B-12 and iron.

"Essential omega-3 fatty acids are needed to support scalp health," says Andrea Giancoli, MPH, RD, a dietitian in Los Angeles and a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association. "A deficiency can result in a dry scalp and thus hair, giving it a dull look."

Vegetarian? Include one or two tablespoons of ground flaxseed in your daily diet for some plant-based omega-3 fats.

Healthy Hair Food No. 2: Dark Green Vegetables
    Popeye the Sailor Man didn't eat all that spinach for healthy hair, but he could have. Spinach, like broccoli and Swiss chard, is an excellent source of vitamins A and C, which your body needs to produce sebum. The oily substance, secreted by your hair follicles, is the body's natural hair conditioner.

Dark green vegetables also provide iron and calcium.

Healthy Hair Food No. 3: Beans
    Beans, beans, they're good for your ... hair?

Yes, it's true. Legumes like kidney beans and lentils should be an important part of your hair-care diet. Not only do they provide plentiful protein to promote hair growth, but ample iron, zinc, and biotin. While rare, biotin deficiencies can result in brittle hair.

Blatner, who is also a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, recommends three or more cups of lentils or beans each week.

Healthy Hair Food No. 4: Nuts
    Do you go nuts for thick, shiny hair? You should.

Brazil nuts are one of nature's best sources of selenium, an important mineral for the health of your scalp.

Walnuts contain alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid that may help condition your hair. They are also a terrific source of zinc, as are cashews, pecans, and almonds. A zinc deficiency can lead to hair shedding, so make sure nuts are a regular on your healthy hair menu.

Healthy Hair Food No. 5: Poultry
    Chickens and turkeys may have feathers, but the high-quality protein they provide will help give you the healthy hair you crave.

"Without adequate protein or with low-quality protein, one can experience weak brittle hair, while a profound protein deficiency can result in loss of hair color," Giancoli tells WebMD.

Poultry also provides iron with a high degree of bioavailability, meaning your body can easily reap its benefits.

Healthy Hair Food No. 6: Eggs
    When it comes to healthy hair, it doesn't matter whether you like your eggs scrambled, fried, or over easy. However they're served up, eggs are one of the best protein sources you can find.

They also contain biotin and vitamin B-12, which are important beauty nutrients.

Healthy Hair Food No. 7: Whole Grains
    Sink your teeth into hearty whole grains, including whole-wheat bread and fortified whole-grain breakfast cereals, for a hair-healthy dose of zinc, iron, and B vitamins.

A whole-grain snack can also be a great go-to food when your energy is zapped halfway through the afternoon, and you've still got hours to go before dinner.

Healthy Hair Food No. 8: Oysters
    Oysters may be better known for their reputation as an aphrodisiac, but they can also lead to healthy hair -- and who doesn't love that?

The key to their love and hair-boosting abilities is zinc -- a powerful antioxidant.

If oysters don't make a regular appearance on your dinner plate, don't despair. In addition to getting it from whole grains and nuts, you can also get zinc from beef and lamb.

Healthy Hair Food No. 9: Low-Fat Dairy Products
    Low-fat dairy products like skim milk and yogurt are great sources of calcium, an important mineral for hair growth. They also contain whey and casein, two high-quality protein sources.

For some healthy hair foods "to-go," try throwing a yogurt or cottage cheese cup in your bag when you head out in the morning to snack on later in the day. You can even boost their hair benefits by stirring in a couple of tablespoons of ground flaxseeds or walnuts for omega-3 fatty acids and zinc.

Healthy Hair Food No. 10: Carrots
    Carrots are an excellent source of vitamin A, which promotes a healthy scalp along with good vision.

Since a healthy scalp is essential for a shiny, well-conditioned head of hair, you'd be wise to include carrots in your diet as snacks or toppings on your salad.

The Big Picture: A Balanced Diet for Healthy Hair
    When it comes to foods for healthy hair and beauty, variety is the best way to go.

"An overall balanced diet of lean proteins, fruits, and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, fatty fish like salmon and low-fat dairy will help keep hair healthy," Giancoli says.

If you're tempted to drop pounds fast with the latest fad diet, it could leave you with less-than-healthy hair -- along with a growling stomach. Low-calorie diets are often low in some of the most important nutrients for healthy hair, including omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, and vitamin A. In addition to stunting hair growth and leading to dullness, super-low calorie plans may even cause hair loss.

"Crash diets can affect the hair cycle," Mirmirani tells WebMD. "Losing a significant amount of weight in a short amount of time can affect that normal hair rhythm. Two to three months later, you might notice a significant increase in shedding. This is a temporary problem that you recover from with a well-rounded diet."
  • gracielee1
    gracielee1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i take biotin as well, but when taken in conjunction with Fish Oil Omega-3(GOOD-for-you fat) supplements, I've found that it works even better. For a hair supplement product I would recommend the PHYTO phytophanere supplement for hair and nails (you can find it at Sephora).
  • More protein and fat. Since switching to a higher protein/higher fat diet, my hair is definitely growing faster, it's also a lot shinier and softer. :)

Thanks for the tip! I recently upped my protien goals from 45 to 104 grams. I usually go over in fat a little bit every day.
  • I've also heard folic acid supplements help as well. Thoughts?
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I've also heard folic acid supplements help as well. Thoughts?

I've heard this too... but mostly from pregnant clients whose bodies are in "grow mode" so I'm not sure its the supplements or the hormones increasing their hair growth.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I've also heard folic acid supplements help as well. Thoughts?

Since I started taking prenatal vitamins (higher folic but with other supplements) my nails and hair seem healthier.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'd always heard taking pre-natal vitamins helps, but there are also vitamins marketed for "hair and skin." i've tried various ones, and it doesn't seem to matter the brand, my hair does grow faster on them. i also take fish oil (as well as eat lots of fat and protein). I've chopped all of my (usually long) hair off twice for locks of love, and always want to grow it back out immediately.

Editted to say: the profile pic <<<<<<< is actually time number two that i chopped it all.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I take hair/skin/nail vitamins. I don't know if they work or not, but I take them.

One thing I do, and it's not to make my hair grow faster but to keep it healther, is once or twice a week I'll smother my hair in coconut oil before I go to bed and leave it on all night. You go to bed with a greasy head, but after you wash your hair the next morning, you don't even have to use conditioner and your hair is so soft and shiny. I have longish hair, about an inch above my brastrap.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Fat has done wonders for mine.

Healthy fats, right? Like from nuts, omega 3's, etc?

I am a vegan so all my fats are plant based. I eat a lot of nuts, olives and avocados.