not losing weight but loosing inches?

Options
Hey everyone, i measure and weight myself everyday, as well as work out for at least 45 minutes, and im on a 1500 cl diet.I do very well, never go over, and always drink my water, but my weight is staying the same, but im losing inches around waist, and hips?Anyone know whats going on here?Thanks alot!:flowerforyou: :smile:

Replies

• Prissymissy1984
    Options
    Hey everyone, i measure and weight myself everyday, as well as work out for at least 45 minutes, and im on a 1500 cl diet.I do very well, never go over, and always drink my water, but my weight is staying the same, but im losing inches around waist, and hips?Anyone know whats going on here?Thanks alot!:flowerforyou: :smile:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    That's totally normal. The scale didn't budge for me until 2 weeks after I started! I lost inches tho right away.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Yeah, very similar to what happened to me. When you tone your muscles, they get heavier (but not necessarily much bigger). So the weight gained from muscle offsets the weight you lost from fat, ergo a slimmer you but not much lighter, hehe.

It's a good thing. It means your'e doing everything right. So take photos, measure yourself, and ignore the scale. The pounds will come off eventually but in the mean time, celebrate losing those inches!

I just posted my first progression photo if you'd like to have a look. I lost 2 pounds in 25 days, hehe.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/52209-2-lbs-in-25-days
  • JaneAusten
    JaneAusten Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good to know this because exactly the same thing is happening to me. Scale doesn't budge but pants are loose!
  • Tofuheart
    Tofuheart Posts: 191 Member
    Options

The same thing is happening with me. I go to the gym 3 times a week, drink my water and stick to my 1200 cl a day. The shape of my body is changing and I'm starting to look good but the weight hasn't moved more than a pound down. I know muscle weighs more than fat so I suspect that's part of it.

Looking forward to seeing it move down some. :smile:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Isn't reshaping your body the most important thing? Who cares about scale weight if you are looking good in the mirror and your formerly tight clothes are "magically" fitting now? Good work!
  • Prissymissy1984
    Options
    Yes, you are definately right about that.Im feeling so good about myself right now, and i have only lost ten pounds, i cant wait untill i hit my goal of 60.Im going to just keep doing what im doing.Good luck to everyone on their goals.:heart::love: :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    well look, I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you gain 8 lbs of muscle in two weeks, it doesn't happen that way, sorry, it's just not the way humans build muscle (not without steroids at least), BUT I will say that you probably have activated a bunch of muscles that were dormant for a long time. This has a 2 fold affect, 1 it kicks your metabolism up, helping you to burn fat reserves, and 2 it collects water and stores glycogen.

So, what probably happened is you lost some fat (which is AWESOME!) and added a mixture of water weight and glycogen in your muscle system. This is probably why you haven't seen dramatic weight loss. Active muscles use more water then dormant ones, they also collect more glycogen reserves which are used (with oxygen and other molecules) to make ATP which is what the muscles use for energy.

But that's fine, that's how it's suppose to work, I bet you already feel like you can work out longer and harder then you could when you started. That's because you're engaging muscles and parts of muscles that haven't been used in a long time. Good work! The more muscles you bring into the mix, the more your metabolism will ramp up, and the more calories you'll burn during the day (even when resting)