Meals with no calcium

Options
So I picked up two perscriptions yesterday, but haven't started taking them because the restrictions on them are kind of weird. Number 1) take twice a day(okay that's normal), 2) Take with food(again, fairly typical), 3) No calcium for 2 hours before or after(!!). Okay, only one of them has that last restriction, but seriously, I'm pretty sure everything I eat(aka everything in my house) has at least a little calcium. Anyone have any suggestions for things that I can eat that will hold me over for 4 hours with no calcium?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    You should talk to your doctor about this...It probably just means nothing with a lot of calcium like dairy.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it doesn't mean calcium *supplements*? Did you ask your doctor?
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    The doctor and the pharmacist both said "no calcium within 2 hours."
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

Is it possible to ask them to clarify that statement? We're no more equipped to explain what that means than the holiday bell ringer at Kmart.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If you tell us what the prescription is, I could Google it and maybe find some possible explanation. Otherwise, we're in the dark.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Is it possible to ask them to clarify that statement? We're no more equipped to explain what that means than the holiday bell ringer at Kmart.
    BRB going to ask this lady:

salvationarmybellringer_ee2_t300.jpg?8aff03de2423e912a2467e97388a07f5331c05b6
  • elmsallmissile
    Options
    Surely you can manage 4 hours plus between meals? take medication midway between, hey presto all conditions met & you can eat whatever you like!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Googling "no calcium within 2 hours" produces hits for a score of medications, and they all say "no calcium supplements".

That's my bet. I would ask the pharmacist or doc to clarify though.
  • RhondaRowsell
    RhondaRowsell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Usually, no calcium means no dairy and no supplements. But, ask your doctor , or the pharmacist to clarify.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Surely you can manage 4 hours plus between meals? take medication midway between, hey presto all conditions met & you can eat whatever you like!

You forgot the part where she has to take it with food.
  • elmsallmissile
    Options

You forgot the part where she has to take it with food.

Oops
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    double post
  • LilMissFoodie
    Options

Yep, I think the best option may be to take it on an empty stomach. Calcium has a lot of interactions with bits and pieces in the body so it is quite common to need to restrict the timing when trying to increase levels of certain things (either vitamins/minerals or medications).
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Yep, I think the best option may be to take it on an empty stomach. Calcium has a lot of interactions with bits and pieces in the body so it is quite common to need to restrict the timing when trying to increase levels of certain things (either vitamins/minerals or medications).
    I'll refer you to comment #11. :flowerforyou:
  • LilMissFoodie
    Options
    Oh you need to take it with food as well? Then I think it just means nothing high in calcium so maybe just search for a high calcium food list and avoid those things while taking it?
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest asking your pharmacist, not your doctor. Pharmacists are much more familiar with drug interactions and restrictions than doctors are. Doctors often prescribe and aren't aware of limitations or interactions, which is why it's always good to stick with one pharmacy so they can watch for possible interactions.