New to the Program, not very motivated

Options
Hi, I am Kathy, I have a obesity problem, I have gained over the years and I am over 100 # overweight and I have tried diet's and gain and lost. I even recently tried to do Overeaters Anonymous but they told me I could never eat white bread again. It was a life change I was not ready to commit to, but I need to find a way to get rid of this burden. I am an emotional eater, and have delt with my stress with comfort food. I know I need a life change, but am not sure how to get there with out more stressors. Anyone willing to help me with this journey, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :drinker: :laugh: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kdjdfrog
    kdjdfrog Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi, I am Kathy, I have a obesity problem, I have gained over the years and I am over 100 # overweight and I have tried diet's and gain and lost. I even recently tried to do Overeaters Anonymous but they told me I could never eat white bread again. It was a life change I was not ready to commit to, but I need to find a way to get rid of this burden. I am an emotional eater, and have delt with my stress with comfort food. I know I need a life change, but am not sure how to get there with out more stressors. Anyone willing to help me with this journey, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :drinker: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • angel1face
    angel1face Posts: 110
    Options
    we can help each other and nice to meet you welcome.:smile:
  • Binkylove
    Binkylove Posts: 161
    Options
    I have been on diets on and off for years! The thing that has helped me the most was cutting out bread.....totally. I know it sounds a bit extreme but it really has helped me and it has stopped the bloating. I think it is worth a try. Im not sure if cutting it out will help the weight but defo helps the bloating. I was asked to try cutting out bread for a week just to try it and i have never went back to it because i have felt much better.
    All i can say is try cutting it out for a week if it helps you will see the difference.

Hope this helps you

:flowerforyou:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

My advice is to "fake it until you make it". Once you have some success, motivation will follow. Log your calories and move your body and you'll have success. There is a ton of support here. This can be the last time you "try" a diet. You have all the tools for success.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP the best website ever. I :heart: it here and I think you will too. This site is so supportive, motivational, helpful and is so easy to use. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options

I don't believe in cutting out anything completely...that never lasts. I have lost 15-20 lbs on the no carb diet....only to gain every bit back and then some.
    This website has helped extremly...just be faithful in logging what you eat...even when you go over.
    Sometimes if I have "cheated" I really don't want to log the calories. But it helps to get me back on track the next day.
    Good luck....you really CAN do it!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that this website REALLY does work. It's not going to be something that is fast though and you have to be okay with that. Just know that ~

1. Habits take a long time to change so be patient with yourself.

2. You probably will slip up at least one time and THAT'S OKAY. What happens after that is most important. Get back up and get back at it.

3. This is THE BEST thing that you could ever do for yourself.

Everyone here is very supportive!! GOOD LUCK!
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I am a fellow white bread lover, i am trying to give it up for now but if there are some fresh hot rolls in front of me I cannot resist. I am trying out different kinds of whole grain breads to see if I can find some I like and I am finding out their not so bad. If I cave in I will just have to do more excercise for that day. You can do this! You will love this site. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • breezysoul
    breezysoul Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Try not to say "never" about anything - it's too daunting. Instead, introduce whole grain breads more and more. I used to eat nothing but white bread and rolls, but honestly, I've completely lost the taste for them. Eventually, the whole grain stuff is just going to taste better to you. Same with breaking the high-sugar habit. It just takes time to change your tastes.
  • kdjdfrog
    Options
    Thanks for the support, I am one to be embarrished about what I eat, and I eat for comfort, food has been one of my best friends, I have to divorce some of those friends. Not easy, but I am sure you understand. Thanks again.
  • kdjdfrog
    Options
    Thanks for the info and support. Yes, I am a white bread addict, but I can abstain for a season. Thanks
  • angele
    angele Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i hope its okay to say this here but have you tried weight watchers bread? i dont eat everything they have but i do like there cheese and breads . but still must do it in moderation. Listen to me and i haven't lost that much either. i listen to others and learn a little from this diet and that,also people when it comes to brown bagging me quick lunches for work,etc... i.m still over 200 lbs. but not giving up. still going to gym finally this week seen 3.5 lbs wt. loss . i'm on cloud 9 . wish me luck. you can do it. i know we can with all support we have here and our family and friends- lets not give up on ourselves this time. can you tell i been watching the biggest loser,etc ... lol
  • robin1964
    robin1964 Posts: 7
    Options
    Try Pepperidge Farms soft oatmeal bread, it is awesome.
    From a only white bread lover!
  • donnagilmore
    Options
    This is going to sound crazy,,,, but ... buy the book "Awaken the Giant Within" Anthony Robbins. This book will change your life not your lifestyle. It puts a whole new light on all issues in your life not just being over weight. I think being over weight is the product of an unaddressed issue in our lives. This book will help you figure out and overcome this issue. I wish you a ton of luck.
    God Bless,
    Donna
  • jdhall
    jdhall Posts: 76
    Options
    Hi Kathy! I just want to say you can do anything if you set your mind to it. When I started out, I just watched my portions. Portion control is very important, once you get used to that, you can then remove the bad stuff and add the good stuff, like different breads. My Mom used to go into the grocery store and pick up a fresh baked loaf of bread not sliced and eat the whole thing before we came out. I could follow in her footsteps, but I try not to. I buy the white wheat. My family will not eat the wheat or whole grain breads, maybe you could start with that and then go onto the other grains. I wish you luck and I know you can do what you want. You will of course have days when you will think you are going to die if you do not have something. HAVE IT! Just make sure it is small protion and you go directly back to your routine. I will gladly help with any questions or concerns that I can help you with. I am a diabetic and I read a lot of info. Research is also a really good tool when you are trying to change things. Good Luck! I am here if you need me.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us on here are emotional eaters. I know I am one. What I have been doing is to recognize why I want to eat a particular food or lots of food. If I had a stressful day, I would turn to food to make me feel better. When I started to change my diet, I recognized that the reason I wanted to eat, was not out of hunger, but out of an emotional need. When you go home at night and feel you just have to have a certain food, think about why you want that food. Do you need it or want it to fulfil some emotional need. Things won't happen overnight. Also, don't just give up the foods you like. You can still have them, just in moderation. That is the key. I still have 2 small pieces of dark chocolate at night and have a drink a few times a week, but I don't overdo it.

As for the white bread, try some of the whole grain breads. I rarely eat white bread because white flour foods are not as healthy as those made with whole wheat. If you have diabetes or maybe pre-diabetic, getting off of the white bread and white pastas are the best for your. Those are carbs that will elevate your blood sugar compared to whole wheat pasta and breads.

Good Luck.