Help with building muscle.

Options
Talking to a personal trainer. He is giving me advice for building muscle since 175 isnt that bad a weight for me (as long as its muscle and not fat). But he says p90x isnt the best option for me and that I should try heavy lifting 3-4 times a week, upping calories to 2500, 200g protein and 60/60 of fat and carbs. This goes against what I thought, but I really dont know much and I was always focused on the weight loss, not the adding muscle/getting in shape. Eh.....Should I make that my calorie/macronutrient goal for someone who is 5'10 and 175? And would I blend that lifting with cardio? Help!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Talking to a personal trainer. He is giving me advice for building muscle since 175 isnt that bad a weight for me (as long as its muscle and not fat). But he says p90x isnt the best option for me and that I should try heavy lifting 3-4 times a week, upping calories to 2500, 200g protein and 60/60 of fat and carbs. This goes against what I thought, but I really dont know much and I was always focused on the weight loss, not the adding muscle/getting in shape. Eh.....Should I make that my calorie/macronutrient goal for someone who is 5'10 and 175? And would I blend that lifting with cardio? Help!

Honestly for the most part that's pretty solid advice aside from the carb recommendation. I'd consider 2500, 200p 60f and that should leave you with 290g carbs. That's a very reasonable macro intake and that caloric intake is probably within spitting distance of your TDEE so you can probably recomp a bit. If anything, you may need to bump cals another 200-300 but I think your trainer gave you good advice. Clarify the carb part with him first, since 200/60/60 makes no sense and doesn't get you to 2500kcal.

lifting advice was solid too.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Iift heavy and eat Iots of protein, get iots of rest, is it reaIIy that simpIe, pretty much
  • kkova811
    kkova811 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sorry he said 200g protein, ~60 fat and the rest carbs, not 60 carbs lol.
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Help with building muscle. I'm in the same boat.

Here's my forum thread with food ideas and musculature progress: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/403233-lost-96lbs-and-made-top-10-in-physique-contest
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Sorry he said 200g protein, ~60 fat and the rest carbs, not 60 carbs lol.

Given that, I'd say you were given very solid advice and you should stick to it and monitor progress and adjust, but considering your trainer was able to set up precise macros (and for that matter, do it well), then he probably will also closely monitor results and fine tune it based on what happens.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Here's my forum thread with food ideas and musculature progress: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/403233-lost-96lbs-and-made-top-10-in-physique-contest

^ Solid work, you look great. Layne Norton is a #$%$ animal. Awesome that you get to work with him.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Iift heavy and eat Iots of protein, get iots of rest, is it reaIIy that simpIe, pretty much

^^yes^^ Sounds like you got pretty good advice from the trainer
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options

^ Solid work, you look great. Layne Norton is a #$%$ animal. Awesome that you get to work with him.

Yes it is....:bigsmile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    PT is pretty much right on. I would add to lift as heavy as you can for reps between 8-12 for muscle hypertrophy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition