How to lose "Belly Fat"!!! (please post your tips!!)

Options

Replies

• westo22
    westo22 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to put my two cents in here, I have been an avid soccer player my whole life. Even in my crazy fit days (multiple sub 6 minute miles with ease) I still carried belly fat. I have never had a six pack but I was just as "fit" as the next guy when it came to my cardio. I ate miserably (fast food maybe once a day, sometimes twice).

Its not until now have I realized it can not be done without adding the correct diet. It takes both diet and cardio not one or the other. I always thought I could get there by just exercising more, I just don't have the genetics for that.

I'm not there yet but I can see the lower belly fat starting to burn off, its a very slow process...sigh. Good luck! I'll race you to a washboard stomach!
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Abs are make in the kitchen!!!!!!
  • JujuShushu
    Options
    I like the quote you have below your post..makes sense :)
  • JujuShushu
    Options
    I would also check out the dr oz site, he has some good info on losing belly fat and why we get it. esp as we age.. I was just on there today and found it helpful...
  • bluemoon_2425
    Options
    cardio cardio cardio!!! all the crunches in the world won't do you any good if your fabulous six pack is covered in a layer of fat!!! no exercises for the extra skin that comes with motherhood either =( Once you whittle your middle down with cardio, some great toners are twisting crunches, planks, and reverse crunches ;)

I love this! I am currently doing the C25K and during my running intervals I say over and over in my head, "whittle, whittle, whittle!" It really helps to picture myself with that flat stomach once again! Loving all the tips! Keep them coming!
  • HealthFount
    Options
    If you are doing lots of cardio, which is good for your heart and body, and do not want to lose weight but some fats, then you can eat more complex carbs and lean protein. The protein will enable you to turn them into muscles, if you weight train.

Overall, eat healthily with lots of veggies, lean meat and complex carbs and exercise, you will not have problem losing some fats.
  • chai_latte
    chai_latte Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    thank you for the tips!!! :) It's the lower belly that really annoys the heck out of me, flat tummy here I come!!!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Can someone please make a sticky thread on this topic...? It has to be the most asked question on here, and there is so much misinformation and bad advice floating around. :(
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    I get this question asked ALL THE TIME at the gym by females. The answer is ALWAYS the same. Calorie deficit, strength training and cardio.
    There are no secrets.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm a mother of 3 girls, and I have a nice workout schedule I have begun. I am interested in knowing what are good belly fat busters! I have a tummy after having the kids and I would like to know how to get rid of the tummy and have a nice flat stomach. Please post your tips on how to lose my tummy!!

I am a Mother of 3 girls too and I am glad you asked this question. My youngest just turned 4 months so I will be watching this thread for tips. Keep em' coming:smile: .
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Since you cannot spot reduce fat, the only tip I have is to stay in a calorie deficit and do resistance training.
  • lucysposaro
    lucysposaro Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If you find that answer let me know im also a mother of two my youngest is now 4 years old and im still stuck with the baby fat uner the belly button and i always had a flat stomach with no love handles before my kids i lost all the baby weight after my first child after the 2nd it never left :/ im starting to exersice and trying to eat right but sometimes i feel like my weight will never go down in that area
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I guess it works differently on men and women but I have lost huge amount of belly fat first by running and Crunches and now by Cycling.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I guess it works differently on men and women but I have lost huge amount of belly fat first by running and Crunches and now by Cycling.

All the crunches have done is to improve the strength of your muscles, they've done nothing to reduce the belly fat. The cycling and running, combined with a sensible (moderate calorie deficit) diet are what have reduced the fat.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I get this question asked ALL THE TIME at the gym by females. The answer is ALWAYS the same. Calorie deficit, strength training and cardio.
    There are no secrets.

^ This needs to be tattooed into the brains of everyone at birth!
  • 305powerhouse
    Options
    First we can`t control where we lose the fat from on our body. Second the number one way to lose it is your diet. No matter how many sit-ups crunches you do if you`re not eating right it will not happen.
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I eliminated sugar (well an excess of sugar ie dessert candy chocolate drinks etc) out of my diet for one month as an experiment, and my stomach shrunk 3 inches in just one month, and mind you I was only about 5 pounds from my goal. so serious inches lost.

So that is my number one piece of advice...cut out as much process sugar as possible.

Also Pop and the chemical additives and what not has been studied extensively, and is known as a majory belly fat contributor.

Also remember that your baby skin will not go completely away. AND women are supposed to have just a tad extra there, to protect their baby parts.

But I totally understand wanting a flat stomach. lol TOTALLY!

She nailed it!! I am on week 2 of cutting out bad sugars and am seeing great results. I also do lots of cardio & strength training. Besides missing the creamer in my coffee it's been going well!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to put my two cents in here, I have been an avid soccer player my whole life. Even in my crazy fit days (multiple sub 6 minute miles with ease) I still carried belly fat. I have never had a six pack but I was just as "fit" as the next guy when it came to my cardio. I ate miserably (fast food maybe once a day, sometimes twice).

Its not until now have I realized it can not be done without adding the correct diet. It takes both diet and cardio not one or the other. I always thought I could get there by just exercising more, I just don't have the genetics for that.

I'm not there yet but I can see the lower belly fat starting to burn off, its a very slow process...sigh. Good luck! I'll race you to a washboard stomach!

Excellent post. It's alot easier to cut 500 unnecessary calories than to burn them everyday., This is exactly what I've found. I lost 10lbs from getting back into they gym and doing cardio but I stopped losing. 180lbs at 19% BF. Joined here, started tracking what I ate and I'm back to losing again. Hopefully I'm retaining as much muscle as possible by making sure I eat protein and staly at a slight deficit. I'm about 4-5 lbs from 170lbs and hope to redo my BF% again at that weight.
  • Emzorline
    Emzorline Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    cut out carbs!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!