what to do with tofu?

Options
9cj8
9cj8 Posts: 17 Member
So I bought tofu for the first time and I'm looking for some good suggestions for what I can do with it!

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    - Add to stir fries and curries
    - Blend silken tofu for creamy sauces, dressings, or added to shakes
    - Add to miso soup
    - Put smoked tofu on crackers
    - Smush up in veggie burgers or loafs
    - replacement for scrambled eggs or breakfast casserole

Pam
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    EAT IT, lol. You can pretty much cook it the same way you would anything else. Just take into account the extra moisture in tofu. It can make the dish watery if you don't let it simmer long enough or if you add to much other liquids or liquid containing ingredients.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Well that depends, what kind of tofu? Different types lend themselves to different preparations.

Miso soup is always a good one.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Agreed, each texture of tofu is used in different dishes, I only buy extra firm cause I like to put it in things like scrambled eggs and other dishes and don't like mushy. Softer tofu though makes good pudding (they have a mix) and there are lots of little packets of flavoring stuff to make it taste like what you want it too.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    OHHHH Tofu - how I love thee? Let me count the ways! My dear, you can do anything you want with it - but the 'TYPE' of tofu really does matter.

Firm and Extra-Firm really do hold up for stir-fries very well... the softer the tofu, the more it will break down into mush-mania...

I love making a tikka-masala using both chicken and tofu... its a spice-related complex dish, but its DELISH beyond all reasoning!

There is a great Korean stew called "Jjamppong" that uses fresh seafood, vegetables, a spicy-sweet broth, tofu, bean-sprouts - OHHHHHH SOOOO GOOD!

Tofu will grab flavors very well... you just need to learn what goes very well together... Consider researching dishes from Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, India, Taiwan... Some are very easy, some are right up there with people like me (I work as a chef).... I dont know what your preferences are, allergies or sensitivities, or what you have on hand.. but... I would definitely start with a basic-stirfry - grab some Chinese-5-Spice, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, scallions, tamari sauce (just like soy but healthier), little sesame oil.... coat your tofu cubes with the spices/tamari... let it soak it in until it turns into the same color as the spices.... get your wok or pan on medium-high heat, and let it SIZZLE BABY!!!!!!!!!! Stir fry your favorite vegetables, add some shrimp, chicken.. whatever you like!
  • 9cj8
    9cj8 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone so far! The kind I got is extra-firm so that will help more :smile:
  • jeanie_ca
    jeanie_ca Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like to slice the extra firm into slices about 1inch. Then pan fry in a little oil until you get a nice crisp crust on both sides and then dip in:
    a) oyster sauce or
    b) sweet chili sauce or
    c) soy sauce spiked with minced garlic, chili flakes, and a dash of rice wine vinegar.

If it's silken I make like to dice it and dress it with soy, sesame oil and finely sliced green onions. Add chili flakes or some siracha if you like it spicy. Silken has the texture of custard so you have to like that kind of texture.

I only use tofu in Asian cooking. I tried it in a salad once and it was just bloody awful.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Bake it!
    Drain it & press it between 2 plates with a heavy weight ( a big book works) to get rid of any extra water.
    Then make up a marinade with veg stock, balsamic vinagar, soy sauce, garlic and ginger. Slice the tofu into bite sized pieced & soak in the marinade for at least an hour, but overnight is good.
    Spay a non stock baking tray with oil, spread the tofu pieces & bake for 25 - 30 mins, turning once & spooning any extra marinade over the pieces.
    Good hot or cold. And delish in a salad.