Upping calories to lose??

Options
So i've been eating around 1200 calories (plus eating my exercise calories back) for the past year or so... i've lost 6-7 lbs and want to lose 2-3 more... i've been at a stand still when it comes to weight since March, although I am definitely more toned. I always work out at home (usually run 3 days a week (20 or so minutes) and 30 day shred 3 days a week). I went to a personal trainer yesterday and asked her about upping calories to lose the last couple pounds because I had read on here people who have done that. She did some research using my info (heigh 5.2 1/2, 122-123lbs, body fat 17-18%) and said that i should be eating around 2000 on exercise days and 1700 before exercise and then gave me percentages of carbs, protein and fat and said i should try to eat 120g of protein everyday.... i'm terrified! has anyone had experience with this working... or not working? Should i gradually go up that high? thanks in advance for your feedback!

Replies

• Jennacita
    Jennacita Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's a big jump from 1200. Why not try just adding in 100-200 calories more to start?
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    i think i'm going to have to.... it might be closer to 1600 or 1700 AFTER exercise... i don't even know how to eat that much anymore!
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from experience, but the week I went from 1300 calories to 1500-1600 net, I dropped 4 pounds. I don't have much to lose, so that was a DRASTIC drop. I haven't weighed myself since, but my body seems to be happy :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options
    I am guessing you have been trying to lose at too fast a rate for what you have left to lose hence the big jump. You probably should have been increasing your calories gradually over time already. Here is a good guide to calorie deficits http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

I would suggest slowly raising them 200 or so every two weeks.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    You've been engaged in a typical form of self-sabotage with your starvation diet.

And it's not that plenty of people here don't talk up the virtues of feeding your body to prevent metabolic shock.
    Just listen to your trainer, and forget what you think you know.

Your results speak for themselves, so please try something different for some better results.

You can do this.
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    I've implemented successful refeeds and it's worked ok during the dieting process. I would have 2 high carb days intersperse among 5 lower carb days (notice how I didn't say low carb... lower).

You might want to google "refeeds" and "carb cycling"

At least if you're going to engage in up'ing the calories at least understand it...

And before anyone states not to do refeeds: I dieted down pretty substantially using this method (and of course working with a coach). Here's my forum thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/403233-lost-96lbs-and-made-top-10-in-physique-contest

pics, results, updates, etc.

Hope this helps,
    N
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Go and join the group "Burn the fat, feed the furnace". I always get it mixed up. anyway, you get the drift and read that group. We have all been doing it and I feel great, I am looking way more toned, etc.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Take her advice. She said to eat 2,000 calories on EXERCISE days. That means you eat 2,000 calories period. That's not your NET goal, that's what you eat. You net will be 2,000 minus whatever you burn doing the exercise. So if you eat 2,000 but burn 500 doing exercise, you net 1,500. If you eat more and eat small meals throughout the day (5-6 small meals, make sure you eat protein with each) you'll start to see those pounds melt right off. Nutrition is the absolute make-or-break factor in weight loss, so tidy it up. She's got great tips for you!!! Good luck, you can do it :drinker:
  • poppadop89
    Options
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/research-review-an-in-depth-look-into-carbing-up-on-the-cyclical-ketogenic-diet-with-lyle-mcdonald.html

^Try carb cycling. Bodybuilders and fitness models do this nearing competition/photo shoots to lean out further.
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/research-review-an-in-depth-look-into-carbing-up-on-the-cyclical-ketogenic-diet-with-lyle-mcdonald.html

^Try carb cycling. Bodybuilders and fitness models do this nearing competition/photo shoots to lean out further.

^^^Yes:wink:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I've had this work for me before. I had a total weight loss goal of 20lbs to begin with, MFP set me at 1500 net. I always ate my exercise cals back.
    The first 10lbs came off so quickly but the rest took ages, months. In around March time this year, I upped them to 1750 (1/2lb a week loss) and then within the next month, the last stubborn 4-5lbs came off just like that :)

I've also heard stories from others about when they upped their calories they lost easier. It seems to especially work the closer you are to your goal as you don't need such a large deficit.
  • poppadop89
    Options

Just realized you had posted a few minutes before me about the same thing. :bigsmile:
  • sunandstars2
    sunandstars2 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    this is THE topic i need the most help with... i am new to the calorie counting/fat burning world. i started at a weight of 130, trying to lose 15. i'm 5'3", i've lost 3 pounds so far. calories set at 1200, burning 250 per day (25 minutes circuit training 4-5 days per week). i need to figure out how to eat more and lose that pound per week. i'm stuck at 127 for 2 weeks. UGH

i've always had the frame of mind that to lose weight you have to eat less... i can't get my head around UPPING my calories when i know it's what i need to do. any suggestions? what to eat? different (realistic) exercize options?

:)

11453934.png
  • zipnguyen
    Options

Just realized you had posted a few minutes before me about the same thing. :bigsmile:

Because I've been on the heavy side 271lbs at 5'8" is no bueno... I wanted to get back to my college shape, but bigger and more ripped. So time to get back to basics of bodybuilding. Some guys can get big (think football) and some guys can get real lean (think marathon runner), but few can be big and lean. That's what I want to aspire to, or at a minimum get by to my early years in college.

So yes, I draw a ton of influence from natural bodybuilding...
  • tandroes
    Options
    thank you everybody! i figure it won't hurt to try it out.... one more question though... today i got up to about 1500 total and i was actually hungrier... like stomach was growling between each small meal (oatmeal and milk for breakfast at 730, turkey sandwich, carrots, and banana at 11, yogurt w/ granola at 230, apple w/ peanut butter at 5 and pot roast with potatoes and carrots at 830) now it's 10 and i'm somewhat hungry, but don't feel very good.... is this mind games or metabolism speeding up? has anyone else experienced this? it's weird eating more is making me hungrier i think. btw... i don't think anyone intentionally "self-sabotages" that's why i am asking for opinions and asked for an opinion from a trainer.. thank you! :)
  • poppadop89
    Options
    thank you everybody! i figure it won't hurt to try it out.... one more question though... today i got up to about 1500 total and i was actually hungrier... like stomach was growling between each small meal (oatmeal and milk for breakfast at 730, turkey sandwich, carrots, and banana at 11, yogurt w/ granola at 230, apple w/ peanut butter at 5 and pot roast with potatoes and carrots at 830) now it's 10 and i'm somewhat hungry, but don't feel very good.... is this mind games or metabolism speeding up? has anyone else experienced this? it's weird eating more is making me hungrier i think. btw... i don't think anyone intentionally "self-sabotages" that's why i am asking for opinions and asked for an opinion from a trainer.. thank you! :)

Few things you can try:

1. If you feel like snacking on something at 10pm or around that time, eat some low fat/non fat (your choice) cottage cheese with berries if you want. Its Casein protein, so it will digest much slower and will "feed" your body throughout the night.

2. Although they are good for you, carrots, bananas, yogurt (unless its greek yogurt) and granola are packed with sugar. Natural yes, but they're considered simple carbs. Simple carbs digest quickly. Probably why you get hungry after, what, 1 - 1.5 hours? Fibrous veggies like broccli have lots of fiber and keeps you full longer. Couple ounces of any berry would be a good substitute for a banana.

Try Greek yogurt. High protein and little to no sugar. Warning, it may remind you of sour cream so i suggest add a sweetener to taste. Stevia, Splenda (proven to be perfectly safe), or Agave nectar are good. Pop some berries in too if you wish. Need something crunchy? Rice cakes!! Quaker Chocolate Crunch rice cakes are heaven! Each cake has 12g carbs/ 1g fat/ 1g protein

Sweet potatoes is a complex carb. Slow digesting and tasty! Switch it out for regular potatoes for dinner next time if you want.

3. WATER!! Normally, if a person is still hungry sometime after their meal, its usually because they need water. Try drinking a cup or two whenever you feel hungry in between meals.
    http://www.weightlossforall.com/thirst-signal-frequent-eating.htm

Hope this helps.
  • tandroes
    Options
    thank you!!