Another rotator cuff question: weights..

Options
When lifting to strengthen the rotator cuffs, is it alright to use different weights for the internal vs the external muscles? Or do I need to use only one weight for them both?

My situation: I am doing simple lifting to help correct some pain and weakness in my shoulders. For the internal muscles I feel sufficient resistance with 8lb, but if I do any more than 5lb on the external I have pain. Should I work both at 5lb, or go ahead and work one at a higher weight?

Replies

• asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I have no idea but felt the need to post because.... Stormtroopers lovers unite!
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Hmm good question. I do not know, but I do not use the same weight. I would think it wouldn't be any different then lifting different weights with your biceps vs your triceps. But I'll have to defer to someone with more experience.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I use different weights, I'm stronger on the internal.
  • hbar98
    hbar98 Posts: 39
    Options
    I have no idea but felt the need to post because.... Stormtroopers lovers unite!

Haha! Had quite a few of those at this years Dragon Con. Search my mfp username on Facebook and you should be able to see a few of this years pics. The parade album has the most people in costume.
  • PepeGreggerton
    Options

^^^ Same
  • hbar98
    Options
    Hmm good question. I do not know, but I do not use the same weight. I would think it wouldn't be any different then lifting different weights with your biceps vs your triceps. But I'll have to defer to someone with more experience.

Thanks for the reply. What kind of exercises do you do for the RC?
  • hbar98
    Options

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any probs with pain in your shoulders?
  • PepeGreggerton
    Options

Thanks for the reply. What kind of exercises do you do for the RC?

I use a cable machine for the internal, and dumbbells for the external.
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I went to an Orthopedic Dr. last summer because I have been having worsening pain in my shoulder for the past couple of years. It had gotten to the point where I could not move my arms in certain direction because of the stabbing pain. After an MRI and an exam, he told me that I just needed to strengthen the rotator cuff muscles because their weakness was causing an impingement in my shoulder. That is what was causing the pain and the only solution is exercise, either through physical therapy or exercise on my own. I chose to exercise on my own, so he gave me a set of exercises to do to strengthen them. I asked him why the weights recommended toward the end of the regimen only goes up to 5 lbs. He said that any more than 5 lbs does recruits other muscles and does not focus on the rotator cuff muscles.

Since starting these exercises, the pain in my shoulders is almost completely gone.

Short answer, if you are trying to focus on the cuff muscles, stay at 5 lbs or under.
  • hbar98
    Options
    I went to an Orthopedic Dr. last summer because I have been having worsening pain in my shoulder for the past couple of years. It had gotten to the point where I could not move my arms in certain direction because of the stabbing pain. After an MRI and an exam, he told me that I just needed to strengthen the rotator cuff muscles because their weakness was causing an impingement in my shoulder. That is what was causing the pain and the only solution is exercise, either through physical therapy or exercise on my own. I chose to exercise on my own, so he gave me a set of exercises to do to strengthen them. I asked him why the weights recommended toward the end of the regimen only goes up to 5 lbs. He said that any more than 5 lbs does recruits other muscles and does not focus on the rotator cuff muscles.

Since starting these exercises, the pain in my shoulders is almost completely gone.

Short answer, if you are trying to focus on the cuff muscles, stay at 5 lbs or under.

Wow! Thanks for that reply! I'm but quite to the MRI stage yet: doc says that will be next if exercise won't help my pain.

I'll certainly take your advise and experience into consideration. In the interim, I'd like to add you as a friend.