How much protein per day????

Options
Is it true that we are supposed to be eating 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight per day? If so, why does MFP have my grams set at 58 per day??? How do I change this? And is that the right thing to do?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    This is one of the things MFP is wrong about. MFP forces you to set your macronutrients by percentages. I just ignore the preset limits, I know the numbers I want to hit in my head.
  • Tarah1218
    Options
    This is one of the things MFP is wrong about. MFP forces you to set your macronutrients by percentages. I just ignore the preset limits, I know the numbers I want to hit in my head.

Same here, just ignore and do my thing. I know what my goals are and ignore MFP. What kind of exercising do you do? How much protien you need is subjective to your goals and what you do for activity. I tell most "normal" people to try to hit .8g per pd on workout days, .6 per pd on non-workout days. But most people I have come across don't eat much protien in the first place. If you are lifting weights and either dieting or building I would reccomend 1.5g per pd....when maintaining 1g per pd. But that is always what I was taught and what I have stuck with..... I know that the reccomended I have seen in countless places lately is 1g per pd of lean body mass, not weight. There is really no set right amount of protien for each person. If you get body comps you can play with it and see what works for you to build, maintain, and lose muscle. My minimum is 1g per pound of lean mass, anything less and i lose muscle while dieting.
  • Shredded2011
    Options
    My trainers book goes into that its a bl**dy nightmare!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I thought it was 1 gram per kg of body weight which makes it much less...
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    1g/lb/day for building muscle works for me. It works out to about 35% of daily Calories. If muscle building is not your goal, 15% (MFP default) is probably adequate to prevent muscle loss during fat loss.

Warning: excess protein can be a problem for those with liver or kidney disease.
  • I thought it was 1 gram per kg of body weight which makes it much less...

Its 1g of protien per pound of LEAN body mass. Not body weight.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I try to aim for at least 120g of protein each day. I changed my MFP settings to 40/30/30 for carb/protein/fat. You can change them by going to the Goals page, click change goals and then customize. This new setting puts me around 130-150 grams of protein each day depending on my exercise levels.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Can we agree that as babies, we need protein the most? The protein in mother's milk is about 5%. If you are planning on being a body builder, then you need more than most. If you want to be "normal," eating natural foods like potatoes will have enough protein.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    The US Government recommends about 50% of the typical diet to come from carbs, leaving the rest for fat and protein. That's why it's the default setting. You can change it though, most people do. Right now I'm at 30/35/35 C/F/P.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Can we agree that as babies, we need protein the most? The protein in mother's milk is about 5%. If you are planning on being a body builder, then you need more than most. If you want to be "normal," eating natural foods like potatoes will have enough protein.
    So you're recommending that as adults, we need less than 5% protein? No, I don't think we can agree to that.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

Babies need more protein because they need a positive nitrogen balance. The rest of us need protein for the raw materials - amino acids.

And protein from potatoes? I realize that potatoes have a small amount of protein, but that's hardly the best example.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

Same here, just ignore and do my thing. I know what my goals are and ignore MFP. What kind of exercising do you do?

Lift weights for about 90 minutes 4x per week. I don't do any cardio
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    It really depends on every person, the kind of activity you do and what your goals are. I keep my protein intake around 0.7 g per pound of lean body mass, and it's working nicely.

You can change your % in the "goals" section; go to "custom"
  • Tarah1218
    Options
    My training book says you need this much:

Sedentary Adult: .36g per pd
    Adult recreational exerciser: .95 per pd
    Adult Competitive Athlete: 1.4g per pd
    Adult Muscle Mass Building: 2g per pd
    Dieting Athlete 1g per pd
    Growing Teen Athlete: 1g per pd

Hope it helps a bit.
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I get anywhere between 115g - 170g of protein daily, which is 1g or 1.5 x my total body weight since I don't know my current fat %, so I can't calculate my lean body mass. I only have access to a very unreliable scale.

I'm trying to gain, though.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    No, some say 1 gm per pound of lean body mass - yada yada yada...
    It all depends on your goals.

I am on a very high protein diet; my goals are fat loss, weight loss and muscle retention.
    MFP settings are based on traditional attitudes toward macro-nutrition, and people need to stick to that barring any valid, educated decision to changes the recommended macro balance.

Much of what we experiment with is pure junk science where some is more objective.
    Study up and go for it.

I know my diet is working wonders - exceeding all expectations.
    I've lost 4% body fat in 3 weeks - 2 inches off my waist but only 4 lbs.

That works for me!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I thought it was 1 gram per kg of body weight which makes it much less...

Yes, I usually see the amounts given in kg, not pounds. Who knows...:wink:
  • Amerka
    Amerka Posts: 10
    Options
    I was told by my Nutritionist that I should get 80 grams of protein a day. More once I start excerising on a reqular basis. It also depends on weather your body is getting 100% of the protein you consume. I drink protien shakes called Bariatric Advantage (No I have not had the surgery) because of the Whey Protien Isolate (not concentrate) and the way it is formulated. My body is absorbing 100% of the protein. She also told me studies showed that people do better throughout the day when they consumed 30 grams of protein at breakfast. To be safe I suggest you consult a Nutritionist. Most health insurance policies will cover the appointment minus a co-pay. This way they can meet you, get a better idea of your activities and what your body needs as opposed to a bunch of hear-say. No Offence intended to ANYONE!!
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    So you're recommending that as adults, we need less than 5% protein? No, I don't think we can agree to that.

I am saying that we don't need more than 5%, unless you are body building or if you have other special reasons. And we don't have to agree!
  • beckystahnke
    beckystahnke Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just posted this on another thread:

This is a plan a dietician recommended for me.

1200-1500 calorie range for weight loss
    60 grams protein
    50-150 grams carbs
    50 grams fat
    25-30 grams fiber

If you're trying to build muscle, up your protein to 50% of your daily intake and reduce either fat or carbs. You'll have to compensate somewhat, since protein is 4 calories per gram, carbohydrates are 4 calories per gram, and fat is 9 calories per gram.

You don't need a gram of protein per pound of body weight. Just do what feels best. I personally feel better when I eat meat and vegetables, but that can be a little boring.