Should I take my scale on vacation?

Options

Replies

• sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    there are plenty of service stations that have those big scales usually near the restroom ..add .50cents and you can get your weight.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Using a different scale may yield unreliable results - you have no idea if it is calibrated the same as yours so the weight you get on that scale may not show an accurate comparison to the weights you've been getting at home.

If the challenge group understands you weighing in a few days late due to the vacation, then I'd leave the scale at home. But if you need to do the weigh-in on time, I'd say take the scale but only step on it for that official weigh-in. I would not weigh every single day on vacation or anything like that. Vacation shouldn't be stressful.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Using a different scale may yield unreliable results - you have no idea if it is calibrated the same as yours so the weight you get on that scale may not show an accurate comparison to the weights you've been getting at home.

Right, but moving the scale to a new place can make it unreliable as well.

I'm going with "duh, no." Unless this challenge is for money or something tangible, it's not that big of a deal.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    If I were on vacation, it's a vacation from everything, but if you're still reaching goals and such, then yes.
    Nothing changes.

Are you sure you want to do that?
    A vacation needs to be fun, carefree without totally blowing your program.

Me? I would never, but you must decide.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If it's part of your lifestyle then do it, I don't vacation from my lifestyle. That said, my lifestyle does include the occasional 877 calorie appetizer like I ate last night! I'm taking mine with me...I know there are probably scales available, but for me it's important to weigh in on the same scales.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    This seems like a "duh, no" but HEAR ME OUT

I'm traveling by train and have room in my duffel bag. The main reason I want to bring it is because I'm in a 6 week challenge and next week is the last weigh-in. I'll have access to internet so I should be able to log into MFP regularly and I feel like it might help me to not go nuts on Christmas market fare? Maybe.

What would you do?
    Stay at a hotel that has a gym. Most of them have scales in the facility.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    This seems like a "duh, no" but HEAR ME OUT

I'm traveling by train and have room in my duffel bag. The main reason I want to bring it is because I'm in a 6 week challenge and next week is the last weigh-in. I'll have access to internet so I should be able to log into MFP regularly and I feel like it might help me to not go nuts on Christmas market fare? Maybe.

What would you do?

YES! Take it with You...THIS is your "Binki", take it with you!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would not...I am actually not weighing myself until after the holidays because I think not knowing where I stand will actually keep me in line with food more than if I knew my weight the whole time.
  • CrystalMarie253
    Options
    Oh that is interesting... I have not gone on vacation since I started MFP... I wonder what I will do when it comes to that? Hmmm.. in your situation, if it were me I would bring it because of the challenge. I don't think on a regular vacation I woud bring it unless it was a longer vacation.
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I totally would, with or without a challenge weigh in coming. This isn't about weighing yourself constantly it's about seeing th scale everyday and remembering that EVERYDAY you need to keep yourself in check. If need to keep your scale with you as a reminder to make it a habit to eat healthy then by all means knock yourself out! I'm proud of you for not relapsing on vacation this way!
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    If it were me... hell no, I wouldn't take it. If I'm vacationing in another country, I’m not going to obsess over calories & my weigh-ins like I usually do. I'm not sacrificing fully experiencing the culture & food just so I can make my numbers one week. Unfortunate about the timing with your challenge, but... once again, if it were me... I'd say forget the challenge. Just my opinion, though.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I would. Even if there wasn't any type of challenge. I do it almost every year that I go on vacation. Why not? Weighing myself each morning tells where I am and if I need to be more strict with my eating/drinking habils. Doesn't matter if I am on vacation or not. What would ruin the ending to perfectly good vacation is putting on 5 lbs that I had to take off again. I say, Take it!! And enjoy your vacation was well!!
  • rocketmouse
    rocketmouse Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm not staying at a hotel! We're couch-surfing for the entire trip.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Take it with you,girl. It will help you win the challenge and get more healthy.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I would be concerned that travel would damage my scale (MY scale, the one my weight loss is measured on. Even if it's not accurate, the amount lost is accurate). Also, just not something I would personally do.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    It depends... Has your scale been working really hard and need a break from the same old, same old?
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yes, by all means if you would better than YES take it, besides Germany no scale is like your own home scale.....just remember to have a good time and don't forget to LOG..............enjoy
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I took mine with me on vacation last summer...it really helped me stay focused. I also bumped my calories up a bit during vacation to losing 1/2 lb instead of 2 lbs and I ended up losing 5 lbs in those 2 weeks.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I took mine when we went back home for two weeks to visit family. It did keep me on track!:smile: