Pet Peeves at The Gym

Options
One of my worst pet peeves at the gym is having to work out next to someone who is wearing a ton of perfume. It make sme feel awful and gives me a head ache.

Children in adult classes.

People not taking their weights off the bar, especially the leg press machine.

What's yours?

Replies

• jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Going along with smells would be people with bad body odor and people who smell like smoke!
  • ronniekh
    Options
    I hate it when people look at my machine to see how many calories I've burned.

I also hate when people stand around the gym chatting instead of working out.

ugh, glad you posted this :)
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Anybody doing "Half Squats", and doing curls in the squat rack. Seriously.

Mind you, I saw a group of guys doing half squats, then next time I saw them they did half benches too! I didn't even know that existed! But yes... they only did a partial range bench... and they always thought they were strong! Whats sad, if I do the partial range work like them I could do just as much! Sad!
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    there's already an entire thread about this... but I do have a new one, so I will reply here :)

The other day I was on the elliptical and this woman was leaning on my machine to talk to her friend on the machine next to me. My personal space felt invaded. I was willing the moving handle on my machine to nail her in the face. Mean I know, but she irked me.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Any guy who comes over to tell me I shouldn't be lifting so much because I'll hurt myself/I'll look like a man/my ovaries will fall out.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I hate it when people look at my machine to see how many calories I've burned.

People probably think I am doing this, but at my gym each machine has a TV screen on it. I can't watch the screen on my machine because it is too close and I get physically ill, dizzy, nauseated..etc.... So I turn mine off and discreetly watch the tv on the machine next to mine :S

People probably think I am lurking, I know :(
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    If I see a guy fail to rack his weights, I confront.
    "You going to rack your weights slick?"

I hate that. :mad:
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    This girl at the gym is always on the treadmill next to me and the odor makes me nautious.
    Also she wont stop talking and telling everyone her drama. I feel like I have enough problems of my own and i am not going to the gym to hear someone else's problems.

I hate it when someone sits at a machine talking and not using it when someone else might want to use it.
  • d1469d
    d1469d Posts: 11
    Options
    I have list a mile long.

TOP 10 LIST OF PET PEEVES AT THE FITNESS CENTER
    10. OLD LADY SMELLING PERFUME-VERY DISAPPOINTED TO FIND OUT IT IS THE CUTE GIRL THAT HAS IT ON AND NOT GRANNY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF ME. GRANNY IS WEARING A WEDDING BAND,THE CUTE GIRL IS NOT. HEY YOUNG CUTE CUTE GIRL WEARING GRANNY PERFUME! TAKE SOME POINTERS FROM GRANNY,MAYBE YOU CAN BAG A MAN.
    9. MEN THAT LIFT WEIGHTS FOR 3 REPS AND THEN PACES BACK AND FORTH FOR TEN MINUTES LIKE THEY JUST WON A OLYMPIC GOLD METAL
    8. CELL PHONES- LEAVE THAT DAMN THING IN YOUR CAR. AN HOUR OR TWO AWAY FROM YOUR EAR MAY DO YOU SOME GOOD. PLUS I DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOU MAKING PLANS OR HOW COOL YOU ARE OR HOW MUCH MONEY YOU MAKE.
    7. READING THE WALL STREET JOURNAL IN BETWEEN SETS. WHO YOU TRYING TO IMPRESS! DIDN'T I SEE YOU DRIVING AROUND TOWN IN A RUSTY OLD 1982 CHEVY S-10?
    6. OLD MEN WALKING AROUND THE LOCKER ROOM NAKED. NOT COOL! I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOUR JUNK. COVER THAT LITTLE MONSTER UP YOUR SCARING PEOPLE.
    5.NAKED PEOPLE IN THE SAUNA!.STEAM,SWEAT,PUBES EVERY WHERE! .
    4. WALKING IN THE LOCKER ROOM WITH NO FLIP FLOPS.
    3. BAND AIDS LEFT BEHIND IN THE LOCKER ROOM IN MISCELLANEOUS LOCATIONS. THIS ISN'T AN EASTER EGG HUNT.OH!
    2. PEOPLE PICKING AT THERE ZITS IN THE GYM MIRROR,PICKING SCABS,AND ALL OTHER MISCELLANEOUS HUMAN INFESTATIONS YOU MAY HAVE THE URGE TO PICK AT WHILE IN THE COMPANY OF SEVERAL PEOPLE.
    1. MEN THAT EYE BALL MY HOT WIFE! GO GET YOUR OWN MATE FOR LIFE.
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    this probably makes me sound like an anti-social hermit, but I hate it when people try to talk to me when I'm working out!! It's my only alone time during the day and I'd like it to stay that way, and not have to make awkward small talk. Silence is okay!!
  • phresh21
    phresh21 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    People stairing at me while weight lifting. I may look like a dork cause I'm new at it but seriously!!!
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Girls who look like they just spent an hour on their hair and make-up before going to the gym just to pick up guys....and guys who don't see right through that, and puff out their chests and walk by her treadmill 10 times. Or guys that stand at the window of the group classes and comment to their buddies on the girls butts or hip shaking during zumba. The gym is starting to feel more like a singles bar...I prefer to just workout in the women's only section.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    The women (could be anyone but lately I've noticed predominately women) who use an elliptical to talk to their friends. They barely move their feet! I'm all for walking, cooling down, etc., but I've seen people who look like they're going for a leisurely stroll around the shopping mall on an elliptical! Either do work or quit wasting your time, IMO.
  • bblonskidesigns
    Options
    the people listening to their ipod/mp3 player/cell etc, AND talking to their friend. they have to talk over their music so they practically yell.
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    People who complain about other ppl at the gym. Its called sweat! It stinks! Ppl put on perfume to cover up the stink. Makeup and hair... who cares! Wats the harm in looking nice! Don't wanna hear ppls convo? Buy an ipod! Ppl look at ur machine? Who cares! Be proud of wat u burn! Ugh! Its the gym! Do what u went to do and leave! Ok... rant over!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    People who spend more time texting/looking at their phone/f*cking around than working out. I don't know why it bothers me, and really I don't have any right to get annoyed, but I guess that's why it's a pet peeve, haha.
  • therenegadeangel
    therenegadeangel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, my gym is quite small and everyone minds their business when they come, but I do have some pet peeves regardless:

1) Staring
    Half the time I'm in my zone and rarely make eye contact with anyone, but for God sakes, if you're gonna stare say something! You just make people uncomfortable when you're eyeballing them. Especially when I'm bent over doing deadlifts only to see you looking over at me in between reps...O_O

2) Loud talking!
    THEE MOST ANNOYING THING EVER. It's so irritating when people treat the gym as their own personal social hour. Hello, people come here to workout and concentrate, not hear you and your buddies cackling and showing off. I was at the gym a few days ago, and this group of older people, one woman, two men, where literally having a political debate for over 15 minutes amongst themselves. You know, if I wanted to hear about your dislike of homosexuals and abortions, I could go watch the news. I didn't mind hearing what they had to say, but do ya have to be so loud about it? And at the gym if all places...jesus.

3) Women who spend their entire gym time on the treadmill/elliptical
    Maybe it's just me. But why am I always the only woman on the dumbbell side of the gym? And I'm not being sarcastic, I'm always the only female lifting weights when I go to the gym. Why? I mean, if you wanna stay on the treadmill for thirty minutes, fine, that's on you, but why not lift a weight or two? I dunno, maybe it's just me, but it gets pretty old seeing the same woman day in and day out jogging on the treadmill...and then leaving...then coming back the next day and doing the same thing. Call me crazy, but I wanna be pretty and strong ;)

And last but not least...and most awkward...

4) The freakin grunting...
    Hey, I do it too. Can't really help it. But it's a little awkward hearing some guy beside me grunting over and over and sweating up a storm. I dunno if I'm alone in this, but I get easily...excited, and that's the last thing I want on my mind when I'm exercising. But what can ya do when a shirtless, attractive guy is making all types of noises in your ear? I'm just sayin...

So there's my pet peeves. But I love my gym, so I don't mind ignoring them :D
  • therenegadeangel
    therenegadeangel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    People who complain about other ppl at the gym. Its called sweat! It stinks! Ppl put on perfume to cover up the stink. Makeup and hair... who cares! Wats the harm in looking nice! Don't wanna hear ppls convo? Buy an ipod! Ppl look at ur machine? Who cares! Be proud of wat u burn! Ugh! Its the gym! Do what u went to do and leave! Ok... rant over!

I can't imagine people actually complaining about BO. It's a gym, what is it supposed to smell like? Perfume and fresh flowers?
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I have list a mile long.

9. MEN THAT LIFT WEIGHTS FOR 3 REPS AND THEN PACES BACK AND FORTH FOR TEN MINUTES LIKE THEY JUST WON A OLYMPIC GOLD METAL

I so do this xD
    The first time I got 2-3 reps over 200 (dead lifts) I walked around like a boss for a while xD
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I just hate gyms haha, would much rather work out outside