low calorie hunger surpressing foods

Hi

Can anyone suggest foods or snacks that are extremely low on calaries but can be eaten to give the feeling of being full. I am constantly hungry due to the gyming but even with cutting out as much as calories as possible i am starving!!

please note - i am sticking within the recomended calorie range (not starving myself) but even once i meet the calorie (without eat crap) i find i am still extremely hungry

Thanx

Replies

• gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 749 Member
    Lettuce - 1 cup is 10-15 calories and 1 cup is a LOT. Imagine eating 10 cups....
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Protein - cottage cheese, yoghurt, eggs, meat.......not always the lowest calories, but they satiate so well that I can cut back on other higher calorie foods - e.g. Carbs best bang for your buck when you are always hungry....

With respect to the previous poster - there is now way even 10 cups of lettuce will satiate my body for a few hours....
  • faw1001
    faw1001 Posts: 131 Member
    Protien powder (I use Sports Food Company's in vanilla), 1-1.5 cups water, handful of frozen berries, TB Chia seeds. Blend very well. The chia seeds soak up a lot of liquid and keeps you fuller a lot longer =:-)
  • lorijus
    lorijus Posts: 5 Member
    Having a hot drink will calm that hunger feeling. I have a cup of tea
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    0% plain Greek yogurt - low cal, high protein.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Having a hot drink will calm that hunger feeling. I have a cup of tea

I do the same. I've been drinking a lot of large cups of hot tea, no calories except for the teaspoon or two of sugar I use and it keeps me full for a few hours. I love it.
  • Courgettes and and sliced mushrooms cooked with a little soy sauce and chives, yummy, quick and filling. Mushrooms are 2 calories each and courgette (zuchinni I think in america) is only 18 calories for a whole one which is massive.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Yeah, cutting calories "as much as possible" isn't a good idea. If you are hungry, eat. You should eat at a small calorie deficit in order to preserve muscle, prevent "famine response", and in general to be happier and be more likely to stick to your diet.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Protein - cottage cheese, yoghurt, eggs, meat.......not always the lowest calories, but they satiate so well that I can cut back on other higher calorie foods - e.g. Carbs best bang for your buck when you are always hungry....

With respect to the previous poster - there is now way even 10 cups of lettuce will satiate my body for a few hours....

Eat a large breakfast to have less hunger throughout the day.
    Skip breakfast and enjoy the grumbly tumbly!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Hot liquids have been scientifically proven to reduce hunger pangs, so the tea recommendation is a good one. And yes, proteins are the slowest-digesting nutrients, so will provide you with the best satiety for your calorie out of anything out there. To combine what others have said, I recommend mixing about 6-8 ounces of plain greek yogurt with one scoop of vanilla flavored casein protein powder (casein-based proteins are even slower-digesting than others). whip it together and maybe add a few berries (great little additional flavor for a tiny amount of calories) to the mix. You will not be disappointed.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Eat a large breakfast to have less hunger throughout the day.

Eh. To each his own on this. I had much MORE hunger throughout the day when I ate breakfast. Since I started fasting from 8 pm to noon, I have had way less hunger pangs overall.
  • Samgramm
    Samgramm Posts: 41 Member
    You may need to reevaluate your daily calorie needs if you are hungry all the time. MFP suggested 1200 for me, and I was starving and tired all day. I saw a nutritionist, and she put me on 1600 calories a day. I feel much better now. Just a thought.

Snack ideas: celery - 6 calories for a medium sized stalk. I might add some peanut butter to that.

5 baby carrots have 36 calories.

Good Luck!

Sam
  • Wow. Thanks guys. alot of great ideas!!
  • Yeah, cutting calories "as much as possible" isn't a good idea. If you are hungry, eat. You should eat at a small calorie deficit in order to preserve muscle, prevent "famine response", and in general to be happier and be more likely to stick to your diet.

I dont want to cut calories as much as possible. I am taking in the recommended amount but still remain starving. looking for things i can consume to prevent the hunger pains.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I second eating more if you're starving. If you're starving, you're less likely to keep up your lifestyle change :) I also like greek yogurt, and unsalted almonds as snacks. Also make sure you're drinking lots of water.
  • I second eating more if you're starving. If you're starving, you're less likely to keep up your lifestyle change :) I also like greek yogurt, and unsalted almonds as snacks. Also make sure you're drinking lots of water.

have been drinking 5-6 cups a day. will increase that. that
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Yeah, cutting calories "as much as possible" isn't a good idea. If you are hungry, eat. You should eat at a small calorie deficit in order to preserve muscle, prevent "famine response", and in general to be happier and be more likely to stick to your diet.

I dont want to cut calories as much as possible. I am taking in the recommended amount but still remain starving. looking for things i can consume to prevent the hunger pains.

In that case try the high protein snacks, and good luck! :)
  • Yeah, cutting calories "as much as possible" isn't a good idea. If you are hungry, eat. You should eat at a small calorie deficit in order to preserve muscle, prevent "famine response", and in general to be happier and be more likely to stick to your diet.

i might be pushing my luck but any suggestions? thanx for all the info
  • Eat a large breakfast to have less hunger throughout the day.

Eh. To each his own on this. I had much MORE hunger throughout the day when I ate breakfast. Since I started fasting from 8 pm to noon, I have had way less hunger pangs overall.

i normally have my usn meal replacement shake at 7:15 and then again at 1pm and between that im fine but when it comes to evenings after supper i just stay hungry (even after fullfilling my calorie regiment) and not with junk food
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member

i might be pushing my luck but any suggestions? thanx for all the info

What is your weekly weight loss goal set to?

Almonds, lunch meat, hard boiled eggs, protien shakes, peanut butter on apples or celery, glasses of milk, whole wheat english muffins, cucumber slices in salad dressing...