1200 calories

Options

Replies

• ThatCrazyDame
    Options
    I'm at 1200 a day, and I'm just fine. I just drink tons of water and am sure to have lots of low-density foods, like apples and stuff.
    But I'm really young, so I don't know if that just means I have lots of energy, or what. I'm not sure.
  • wantthistowork
    Options
    Yes.....think so. Is that essentially eating back the calories you burn without going over?
  • wantthistowork
    Options
    Thanks for all the insight. Glad to know that fluctuating the calories won't ruin everything (especially when I realize that they calories I am now eating are still probably significantly less than before!). Another question, and I am not sure if I am clear in understanding----say you burn 400-500 calories working out., and you have a 1200 calorie a day goal. Do you eat the remaining calories? Or do you typically just have a 700 calorie day in that case?

Thanks! Hence my name, I really do want this to work. However, I know I am the one that needs to make it work! I'm hoping third time is a charm, because I think I have logged on and off about three different times during the last year!

You should take in a min of 1200 NET cal per day. If you are at 1200 cal for the day and workout and burn 500 calories then that puts you at a NET of 700 and you really should NET 1200--your body needs this amount for healthy weight loss----a NET of 700 calories per day is setting yourself up to fail in my opinion. If you are at 1700 for the day and then burn 500 calories then you are at a NET of 1200 calories for the day so you are getting your NET of 1200.

Does that help??

Yes....think so, does that mean that you are basically eating back what you burn (so if you try to stick to 1200, but burn 500, then technically you can eat 1700)?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP I was on 1200 per day. Losing 2lbs per week sounded better to me than losing 1lb per week.

BUT

Then I switched to over 1500 calories per day, and ended up losing more weight, faster, and having more energy.

That was me, too, but it took me longer to switch to 1500.

I started at 1200, then realized that it was impossible for me to lose 2# a week, so I switched to 1# a week and got around 1350 calories. That plus my exercise calories was enough food. I always ate my exercise calories. As time went on and I got within 10# of my goal, I switched to a half pound a week loss, and went around 1500 calories. That was my "sweet spot" and often lost 1# a week anyway, especially when I upped my protein to around 100g a day.

Realistically, either you'll lose just as much if not more with a couple hundred extra calories, OR you'll feel more satisfied and more likely to stick with your eating plan long term, and will lose more in the long run. Either way, it seems like a win-win situation!
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it. I won't try again.
    For those it works for, that is awesome.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    When I started MFP I was on 1200 per day. Losing 2lbs per week sounded better to me than losing 1lb per week.

BUT

Then I switched to over 1500 calories per day, and ended up losing more weight, faster, and having more energy.

That was me, too, but it took me longer to switch to 1500.

I started at 1200, then realized that it was impossible for me to lose 2# a week, so I switched to 1# a week and got around 1350 calories. That plus my exercise calories was enough food. I always ate my exercise calories. As time went on and I got within 10# of my goal, I switched to a half pound a week loss, and went around 1500 calories. That was my "sweet spot" and often lost 1# a week anyway, especially when I upped my protein to around 100g a day.

Realistically, either you'll lose just as much if not more with a couple hundred extra calories, OR you'll feel more satisfied and more likely to stick with your eating plan long term, and will lose more in the long run. Either way, it seems like a win-win situation!

Totally inspired to follow you! I just started upping my cals as I was scared.
  • natashahunt2010
    Options
    I'm at 1200 too. But I stopped logging food b/c I am mostly under. Don't think that is any better, I haven't lost in awhile but workout 5 days a week usually. That is just how I eat. I plan to start logging my food again and kick up my workouts too. I think we both need to increase our calories. I know I know...i'v read earlier in my profile, I think, that 1200 is under the amount of calories my body burns in a resting state! I'm clearly doing something wrong.

I can't seem to reach my 1200 calorie goal either. I try but I can't eat that much!
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    MFP "assigned" me 1200 calories per day. Prior to starting with this system, I met with the nutrionist/personal coach at my Gold's Gym. In our 1 hour session, she had prescribed 2100 calories per day for a 1-2 lb. loss per week, with a goal of 40 lbs. over 5 months. In a follow up session, she helped me to tweak my fat and protein gram goals. I manually adjusted my calorie goal on MFP to 1800, and then as I work out or complete cardio I eat back some or all of the calories, with healthy foods.

I'd suggest getting some professional assistance -- either through the doctor's office, clinic, or your gym. Paired up with this "tool," a plan that is prescribed for you, personally, taking into account many lifestyle and body factors, may be the best chance at sustainable success.
  • Mom2Asa
    Mom2Asa Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the insight. Glad to know that fluctuating the calories won't ruin everything (especially when I realize that they calories I am now eating are still probably significantly less than before!). Another question, and I am not sure if I am clear in understanding----say you burn 400-500 calories working out., and you have a 1200 calorie a day goal. Do you eat the remaining calories? Or do you typically just have a 700 calorie day in that case?

Thanks! Hence my name, I really do want this to work. However, I know I am the one that needs to make it work! I'm hoping third time is a charm, because I think I have logged on and off about three different times during the last year!

You should take in a min of 1200 NET cal per day. If you are at 1200 cal for the day and workout and burn 500 calories then that puts you at a NET of 700 and you really should NET 1200--your body needs this amount for healthy weight loss----a NET of 700 calories per day is setting yourself up to fail in my opinion. If you are at 1700 for the day and then burn 500 calories then you are at a NET of 1200 calories for the day so you are getting your NET of 1200.

Does that help??

Yes....think so, does that mean that you are basically eating back what you burn (so if you try to stick to 1200, but burn 500, then technically you can eat 1700)?

Yes and No. For instance I know how many NET calories I need to eat in a 7 day period. I am on my last 2 days and need to NET 1500 today and tomorrow to NET my Calorie goal for the week.

My food diary says my food goal for today is 1680 but I know I used some of those earlier in the week therefore making my goal for today 1500. I have eaten 1869 today and burned 378 so I am actually NET 1491 just under my goal.

You don't have to eat back what you burn unless you are under 1200. If you are under 1200 NET after working out eat some back to get to 1200 NET and then if you are not hungry don't eat but if you are then eat. Look at my food diary the past week and see where I went way over then where I didn't etc. You kind of have to find what works for you.....strict 1200 NET everyday does not work for me--- I will fail and overeat.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I think one of the biggest mistakes people make is to rush to the 1200 cal plan thinking that will maximize weight loss. I personally think most people would be better off starting off with 1400-1500 and not add in exercisers and activity calories (unless you are burning more than 600 in a workout).
  • Cr8tive_Ingenuity
    Options
    I think one of the biggest mistakes people make is to rush to the 1200 cal plan thinking that will maximize weight loss. I personally think most people would be better off starting off with 1400-1500 and not add in exercisers and activity calories (unless you are burning more than 600 in a workout).

Azdak, correct me if im wrong please but heres what I think about calories and caloric intake.. I have a BS in Biology but I am not a doctor so I of course dont pretend to be one. My reasoning may be correct but what actually happens I can be totally wrong on so heres what I think, tell me if im wrong or what im missing :) thanks.

contrary to popular belief, your metabolism is higher when you are overweight because it has more energy to work with. as you lose weight you need to eat more in order to keep the "metabolism" going. Metabolism is the summation of your chemical reactions in your body. Not to get too scientific but every cell in your body required ATP. When ATP is low, you go into anaerobic and break down fat and muscle. AT first your body breaks down fat if you are overweight. Its easily accessible to the body. As "fat" decreases and you have less calories, then it goes to muscles. Since you lost weight and ATP is required for cells to thrive, you need to give your body what it needs. Energy, through food. More food than before (higher calories) since you lost most of your weight and fuel needs to keep the engines of metabolism running. HOpe this makes sense. Im not a doctor and Im giving you just the basics. Im sure theres a whole lot more to the process
  • mbar12
    mbar12 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am on a 1200 calorie diet, and also am trying to do the low carb thing by cutting the bread, pasta, etc out. So basically, I am eating protein from meat and yogurt, and eating vegetables and fruit. However, this is just for 2 weeks, then I will add some of the bread back in, such as cereal and oatmeal in the morning, etc. I also add some of my calories back in from exercise. When I dont exercise, I have difficulty sticking to this, because I end up hungry at night. However, when I do exercise, I usually burn atleast 400 calories, and am very satisfied when I eat the extra calories.
  • danielleabe
    danielleabe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been keeping myself at 1200 calories a day since the beginning of October. This started b/c I had a weight challenge at work and it gave me some motivation to get started. From October 4th through today, I have lost approximately 9 lbs. I am approximately 5' 4" and started out at 133 lbs.

My first few weeks I realized that the 1200 a day was a big change from what I was consuming per day, but was able to manage it and work out if I wanted something extra. I really had to work on my portions, but didn't deny myself anything, b/c I didn't want that to make me go off track. My pants are more lose now and most of them I can get off w/o un buttoning them!

I will continue to track my food/exercise and see if I can get to my goal of 115 lbs and maintain it!!! :smile:
  • sweetpeaz12345
    sweetpeaz12345 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Try eating a really good breakfast in the morning, not only does it kick start your metabolism but it also keeps your sugar levels in check all day and you boy doesn;t feel hungry at night. My Dietician gave me a wicked meal plan where i can pretty much eat anything I want but at each mean (breakfast lunch and dinner" i must have 4 food groups (Protein, veggie, dairy and wheat). And eating 5 times a day every couple hours cuts down night time eating and it makes you feel great all day. Im at 1760 calls a day and im losing eight just fine. Its not just about calories, its what type of calories you eat. Also try adding more fibre into your diet :)
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    The planne put me at 1200 per day, and yes I eat back the calores I burn. My problemis at work. I simply want to snack more often. This time of year is especially hard with food just laying around. I walk right now 2 miles daily 4 days a week. But this week has been hard.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling lethargic then it sounds like you should try eating more. Check out your goals page to see what you maintenance calories are - as long as your NET calories are less than this number you have a calorie deficit and should be losing weight.
    (NET calories means your daily calories allowance plus the cals you burn from exercise. It's a good idea to eat these as your body needs more fuel when you are working out, and MFP has given you a calorie deficit already so you will lose weight if you stick to your recommended net calories)
    Personally I've never had a 1200 goal - that's way too low to keep me satisfied, and I've lost weight eating much more, you probably can too.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options

Does that help??

^^^ This!
  • nicolinski
    Options
    Great to read your post and all the replies! I struggle with the 1200 calories and sometimes end up hungry and having a little binge. So thinking know for the long term i might eat a little more so I don't end up hungry! Good luck :smile:
  • mom2enlp
    mom2enlp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I average about 1200 calories a day, and I find it's no problem. I eat smaller meals 4 to 6 times a day, and that has helped me to maintain my energy and my blood sugar as I have had problems with hypoglycemia in the past. Obviously, I'm not an expert, but you might try doing it that way to see if that helps your energy level. You may also need to add some good carbs to combat the lethargy -fresh produce and stuff like that.

Good luck to you!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 calories, and I find it hard to reach that point but I do get closer then I use to. So it's getting a little easier. I'm trying to do away with sugar and fried food's all together and eat Healthy, and when a lot of your food only has 40 calories in it, it takes a lot to get to 1200 lol. Not saying all my meals are like that, but my snacks are low in cal. I try to eat a 400 cal lunch and a 400 or 500 cal dinner. I might try adding a 200 cal breakfast in there, I just have a hard time eating breakfast cus I am not hungry in the morning. So I have coffee and a granola bar or something small just so I get something in the A.M.