Females- Do you do this?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    You've never heard of bodybuilders "cutting" in the month prior to competition? You're wrong about the weight cutting phase.
    Your terminology is incorrect. Like I stated in a previous post, no bodybuilder wants to lose weight. So "weight cutting" is the wrong terminology. They want to lose FAT. "Cutting" is losing fat while retaining as much lean muscle as possible. I'm am very familiar with bodybuilding (since I've competed and have been bodybuilding since '82) and have even attended the Olympia and other contests like Musclemania. I'm also a MOD on one of the biggest bodybuilding forums (GetBig.com) which are frequented by competitive pro and amateur bodybuilders. So no I'm not wrong about "weight cutting".

A sports competitor would "cut weight" to make a weight class. And they do that by dropping large amounts of water through sweat. Not the same thing as dieting 12-16 weeks for a show.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    No way; it's not even that I know they are dangerous, it's just that it's too much effort to eat in a structured way like that. You must eat x y and z on day 1 2 and 3, then do this other thing. Mehhh, I'd rather eat a lot of fresh produce, grains, and lean proteins (and occasionally the bad thing), It's easier (and funner, as silly as that sounds) than eating some regimen.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I hate generalized statements that imply that "all women" or "all men" do something. With that disclaimer, I think that at one time or another in the course of their lives, most people will try some new gimmick or fad to try and lose weight. I chock it up to human nature and trying to find the easy way to losing weight.
  • HeikkiLaukkanen
    HeikkiLaukkanen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You've never heard of bodybuilders "cutting" in the month prior to competition? You're wrong about the weight cutting phase.
    Your terminology is incorrect. Like I stated in a previous post, no bodybuilder wants to lose weight. So "weight cutting" is the wrong terminology. They want to lose FAT. "Cutting" is losing fat while retaining as much lean muscle as possible. I'm am very familiar with bodybuilding (since I've competed and have been bodybuilding since '82) and have even attended the Olympia and other contests like Musclemania. I'm also a MOD on one of the biggest bodybuilding forums (GetBig.com) which are frequented by competitive pro and amateur bodybuilders. So no I'm not wrong about "weight cutting".

A sports competitor would "cut weight" to make a weight class. And they do that by dropping large amounts of water through sweat. Not the same thing as dieting 12-16 weeks for a show.

IDEA Fitness member

I'll agree that my terminology was incorrect. "Cutting weight" is a throwback term from my wrestling days. That said I really meant to be saying the same kind of things that you were, bodybuilding is about getting as big as you can and lean as you can for a contest. All I know is what I read. I tend more towards the power lifting side of the spectrum but I'm not really that strong or lean.

Are you still doing bodybuilding? Contests?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    double post
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I listen to talk radio a lot when I drive and while scanning a station I happened on a conversation of nutritionist as a guest host on the show. Here's the statement that caught my attention.

"Women will do almost everything right when it comes to keeping their family safe, ensuring their family's health, and listening to doctor's advice on their own health, BUT completely IGNORE the dangers of any FAD DIET as long as they lose 5, 10, 20lbs in a short period of time."

So was she right or wrong?

The nutritionist generalized in two areas here: first, that all women will do anything to keep their family safe. I unfortunately know many women who have no business being mothers and are quite content putting themselves above everyone and everything.

Second, that all women are so obsessed with being thin that they abandon their own health and common sense in the quest for thin-ness. Well, fad diets wouldn't keep popping up if someone wasn't buying into them, so there is probably some truth to that. But like a lot of people who have already posted, I don't like being lumped into the same category with everyone who has a vagina like we are interchangeable. No, I don't pay any attention to fad diets. If other women do, that is their business.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I've seen a lot of girls, never guys, doing fasts on here. I personally, stay away from them. I like to do it the healthy way :)

I agree.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    haha.. i eat most my calories back and do strength training with rather "clean" foods but i notice more girls starve themselves than guys .. makes me sad
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I know of a guy who used to do this very thing.

I won't mention names.
    He's 5' 10", short hair, stocky....looks like me....:glasses:
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I've only once done a "fad diet" and that was the south beach diet before a big event.
    Actually it wasn't bad at all, I kept a lot of the eating habits.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Generally, I think she's right. But it's obviously not always the case...and most of us on here know better than to give into unhealthy "quick fixes."
  • michelledyan
    michelledyan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    When I was a teenager, I tried Slimfast. What a joke! After one drink and an hour later, I was light headed. I didn't see how that could work. I have also tried the Atkins diet. I have been on and off diets because I haven't really changed my eating habits until now. I have recently joined this site and I am going to a nutritionist. (Oh yeah, I joined Weight Watchers at one time but it worked as long as I went but it is way out of my price range!) Thank goodness for this site!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I dunno about fad diets....but....my kids go to every teeth cleaning, check up, etc right on schedule....me? I'm always last on my list. I always put their safety, health, wants 1st as opposed to my own, I make them eat their veggies, and I make them drink water, do I always follow the same advice? no. But I'm not as important as THEM!
  • aquapussy
    Options
    I've seen a lot of girls, never guys, doing fasts on here. I personally, stay away from them. I like to do it the healthy way :)

Intermittent fasts are anything but unhealthy. Our bodies are designed to be able to fast.

If fasting works for them, then more power to them. It can be a powerful tool for weight loss when done correctly.

DIETING: THE KEY IS TO DO SOMETHING THAT YOU CAN MAINTAIN FOR THE LONG HAUL.

I know this is almost cliche now, but it is a lifestyle change. If you get bored of your "diet" you will drop it and it will quit working.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I am taking on a client at the beginning of the year (her husband made her promise) that exercises 3 hours a day (all cardio) and eats like a bird. She has already been hospitalized once for being malnourished. She told me she really wants to change but needs help and to see how to do it correctly with results or she never get over her OCD with cardio exercise. This will be one of my toughest challenges yet.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    For me it's wrong because I never did any fad diets because I already saw so many people I know go to the extreme and fail but in general that person probably is right?
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Most of the people I see going for an operation to lose weight are women.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on the person and the decisions they make!
  • petkova
    Options
    Unfortunately it's true. Most women on this website are part of the exception, they have chosen to do it the healthy way, but the majority will starve instead.
    It's sooo not fun, I have done before it and I have lost 20 pounds in 10 days ... and the you gain double when you start eating ... it's awful ... no more of that for me