Cravings/Emotional Eating

Options
I need some help and or advice on how to deal with those moments when you feel the food calling to you. I am not normally really hungry, but the sweets are haunting me. I can't really get out and go for a walk because I live in Kuwait and it's freakin' hot right now; plus I have a toddler.
Food has always been what I have used to treat myself, when I had a spare moment of silence, no kids around, especially at night. How do you break these terrible old habits???

Replies

• talbiya
    talbiya Posts: 10
    Options
    I need some help and or advice on how to deal with those moments when you feel the food calling to you. I am not normally really hungry, but the sweets are haunting me. I can't really get out and go for a walk because I live in Kuwait and it's freakin' hot right now; plus I have a toddler.
    Food has always been what I have used to treat myself, when I had a spare moment of silence, no kids around, especially at night. How do you break these terrible old habits???
  • jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    i'm only on day 3 of my lifestyle change, but so far i've avoided those things by telling myself a motto i heard on the biggest loser.

"Nothing tastes as good as fit feels!"

except i usually change it to where it fits me and my body right now, and say

"Nothing tastes as good as fit WILL feel!"

Also, i allow myself a sort-of good treat every now and then. like mixing up some fat free sugar free chocolate fudge pudding, measuring out a serving, and then a dollop of whipped cream. its so good! and only 100 calories! also sometimes i have a skinny cow ice cream sandwich, i think they run about 140 calories...

good luck!!
  • tigraine
    tigraine Posts: 9
    Options
    I, too, have only just started this. My problem is wanting to eat when I'm sick. Since I suffer from migraines on a daily basis, this is frequently.
    This site has helped me tremendously. Seeing what calories I am taking in and putting out has given me a new perspective. But I remember the diet I was following, and I only modified it a bit since using the site, allowed me 1 cheat a week. I plan for it, and it's easier to resist temptation for the rest of the week.
    Also, I've been using a written journal in addition to this. I'm tracking how I feel, what I eat, and all my activities. I'm trying to learn to identify my triggers and do something else to avoid them. I'm also exercising more, which allows me a few more calories every day, and trying to get more sleep.
    I do realize our situations are different, but I think using a journal, or blogging on this site, can help you keep the food in perspective. You need to figure out what it is you really need at those times when you have the uncontrollable cravings/hunger and satisfy that. I read an interview with an athlete who had gained a lot of weight while injured. She lost the weight by waiting 20 seconds when she started to reach for food. She used it to figure out what she needed and then took care of that.
    Finally, are you drinking enough water? There are many experts out there who say that we often mistake thirst for hunger. Drink plenty of water every day. You're in a hot climate and trying to lose weight. The usual 8/8 is probably not enough.
    Hope this helps.
  • manda1111
    manda1111 Posts: 113
    Options
    There are seveal things I would suggest. I know that when I plan in my calories to allow for one treat a day I don't feel cheated and look forward to it with out going over. I would not recomend eating at night becasue what I've learned it that if you eat two hours before bed you body turn that into fat becasue its in store not burn mode. So if you have to have a treat its best durning the day. But more than that I have had to really look at my motivations when I find myself mindlessly eating. It beacuse I'm boreded or unhappy, avoiding something or seeking comfort. these are not easy questions and do not have simple answer but they were the key to me begining to understand that I have the power to change my thinking to recondition myself from the patters that I learned becasue I deserve the life i want and the health God gave me. Also finind other things that I love to take up that dead time made a huge difference. When I get the desire to munch I do somthing creative and use my mind. I feed the desire to be loved by acctually loving myself and not hding behind a sheld of weight.

I don't know if these suggestions will help each of us is different with our own issues to over come and learn to love about our selves, but that fact that you are seeing it and looking for change is the first sign that it is time. I pray that you find the right path for you.
  • tigraine
    tigraine Posts: 9
    Options
    I forgot one last, and important thing. I have some favorite, healthy snacks for in the afternoon. These are naturally low cal and high fiber. I love carrots, baby or otherwise. I buy them washed and ready to eat. I also love apples in the afternoon. Sweet and crunchy, so there are 2 things people crave right there. Some type of 100 calorie mini bag of popcorn (mine is Orville Redenbacher Smart Pop) gives you whole grains and few calories. You need a protein at every meal/snack to maintain fullness. Nuts or nut butters that don't have added ingredients you don't need (such as sugar). These are high cal and high fat, but it's the good fat. Multiple studies have shown that including these helps dieters lose more weight. Low fat or fat free dairy products--milk, cheese and yogurt--are great sources of protein and go especially well with apples. The last thing would be other fruits, especially berries, are super sweet, super healty, and match well with any sort of protein. Just make sure to count them in your calories for the day.
  • Kate01
    Kate01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have found that reaching for a chewing gum, instead of what I actually crave helps.... I get the feeling of eating and get the sweetness that I crave...

:happy:
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I find that I have to stop myself and ask myself, why do I want this particular food. It is more about recognizing why you think food will make you better than just trying to find other things to occupy yourself. It is a self-therapy that you have to do. Last week was very rough for me and I wanted to eat lots of carbs. I had to stop myself and tell myself that eating that particular food won't make me happy or fill whatever void. After I got past that hump, I have been fine.

You should try to reward yourself with something not food related. Maybe give yourself a pedicure or facial.

This will pass, you just have to work through it.
  • godsgrl
    godsgrl Posts: 49
    Options
    I think the most helpful thing is DIVERSION! Everyone else has some really good advice. Here is what works for me, and a few of these have already been mentioned ...
    1) gum - a spearmint or peppermint cleans out my mouth and often stops those cravings
    2) hot tea - green or white is good; both are available in decaf
    3) a hot bath (I'm seeing a trend here. I tend to like warming things)
    4) a nap, if you can swing it. I am most tempted to overeat when I am tired.
    5) do what lawkat says and address the feelings behind the temptation. I ask myself, "So what is really going on???"
    6) call a close girlfriend and chat.
    7) Take a walk. I know it is hot, and a toddler is no excuse. Push a stroller and get out there. It's fine to sweat. I've logged miles and miles with my babybjorn carrier in 95+ degrees heat (with 80%+ humidity). You don't have to go fast. Just get outside and pay attention to nature. Breathe.
    8) a combo of the above: I'll take a warm bubble bath then snuggle up with a good girlie movie and a cup of hot tea, etc. I just plain treat myself sometimes w/o food. Even when my two children were small, there is a way to do this. You are not a bad mommy if your toddler spends 30 minutes in his/her crib for a *quiet* time. Once the napping days were over, mine started taking a quiet time every few days. My daughter, who is now 7, really looks forward to these.
    9) if this fits your beliefs, pray or read something inspirational
    10) If all else fails, indulge small amounts. Or do it anyway without trying anything else. I love what someone said about having a little treat once a day. I have found that eating healthy foods intead of what I am craving does not work for me. I eat the healthy foods AND then end up eating what I was craving, hence lots of extra calories; if I had just eaten what I was craving, it would have ended up being less calories. The "no" is a big thing for me. I guess I'm a bit rebellious. If I tell myself I can have it if I really want it, sometimes that does the trick and I discover that I don't actually want it.

You'll figure out what works for you. Try different things! I often scrapbook or write and tell myself, "Okay, I can have it after I scrapbook 4 pages." By the time I do those four pages, the craving is often gone. No one thing works all the time, but I'm learning to work through it. You will to! :flowerforyou:
  • Astrogirl
    Astrogirl Posts: 18
    Options
    Everyone has really great advice! I'd just like to add that I'm a big fan of Splenda -or any sugar substitute (don't know if this is available in Kuwait). It really cuts back on the calorie intake and I don't feel as guilty when I want to bake cookies or something :happy:
  • joyrenewed
    joyrenewed Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm glad I took the time to read this because I have the same problem and picked up some good tips for myself. A tip I have learned from Jillian on biggest loser is to go brush your teeth! Sounds funny I know, but after most people brush their teeth, they are not interested in taking in much besides water. I have found this works for me and also helps me to drink more water, since nothing else tastes right. LOL
    Good luck!

201192.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Ok, at the risk of everyone slammin' me 'cause I'm not being supportive....(Dave, I'm takin' a lesson from you)
    Is nobody in Kuwait outside? Is everyone inside because of the heat? If not then I would suggest that you grab a bottle of water for you and one for you toddler and go outside for a 10 minute walk. I've never been in Kuwait but I'm in TX and I have exercised in 100+ heat for an hour and a half on many occasions and suffered no ill effects. Maybe a walk is just what you need. You can't give in if you aren't there, right? Unless it is truely dangerous to be outside you might want to give it a go. Good luck.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Ok, at the risk of everyone slammin' me 'cause I'm not being supportive....(Dave, I'm takin' a lesson from you)
    Is nobody in Kuwait outside? Is everyone inside because of the heat? If not then I would suggest that you grab a bottle of water for you and one for you toddler and go outside for a 10 minute walk. I've never been in Kuwait but I'm in TX and I have exercised in 100+ heat for an hour and a half on many occasions and suffered no ill effects. Maybe a walk is just what you need. You can't give in if you aren't there, right? Unless it is truely dangerous to be outside you might want to give it a go. Good luck.

Taking a toddler outside in 100+ degree heat is not smart, imo.

Signed,
    Wife of an Army MP who Suffered a Heat Stroke before 9am in 100+ Degree Heat
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options

Taking a toddler outside in 100+ degree heat is not smart, imo.

Signed,
    Wife of an Army MP who Suffered a Heat Stroke before 9am in 100+ Degree Heat

Gotta agree. I just read a horribly sad article on runner's world about an 18 year old boy who was training for his freshman season for his college cross country team....a trained runner...who died of heat stroke. His dad is quoted in the article as saying, "You could see the hand prints on the dust on his car door....it was evident he had fallen multiple times trying to get into his car after he finished his run." :frown:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-297--11446-0,00.html

To the original poster, all these suggestions are great ideas. Since it's really hot outside, maybe just getting up and bustin' a move with your toddler would be a good distraction and fun for the both of you. :smile:
  • talbiya
    Options
    Hey all,
    Wow, thanks for all of the great advice! I am taking it all in and will put it to use. As for getting outside, the problem really isn't solely the heat; it's the dust as well. I just don't want to take the little one out in it for too long. I will get moving though, in a gym. :wink:
    I really appreciate the support. I feel better already! :flowerforyou:
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    What about swimming? Is there a pool nearby? I live in Tx and we are having 105-109 degree days these past 3 days. I take my 10 year old and 19 month old on a 2 mile walk in the Am before it gets too hot. We swim 2-3 hours a day. In the pm when the sun goes down I walk 2 more miles. Is there a mall that's air conditioned you could go walk in? What about an exercise dvd you can do inside? Cindy :heart:
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    OHHH dusty!! I can just imagine! All that sand! :glasses: Here in Odessa, Texas we have alot of wind blowing dirt around. Cindy :heart:
  • ronkswife2000
    ronkswife2000 Posts: 176
    Options
    Oh man, you sound just like me! I think this is a really common problem with so many people. I started a thread a couple weeks ago about the same type of situation and one person posted that she bought a bag of individually wrapped hershey kisses and allowed herself to eat 2 or 3 a day so I did it as well, cause the sweets call me too, and it is actually very helpful, you should give it a try!

About eating at night when the kids go to bed, I'm still struggling with that one but the more into exercising that I get the more I'm pumped about being fit so I think once you see results you'll want to change any bad behavior to keep up the good work... make sense??? Good luck and remember that you can do it... also try getting a little hobby such as a really good book. If you read a great book/magazine it might keep your mind of the food!
  • talbiya
    Options
    Hey Ronkswife,
    Good to know that I'm not alone! I don't know if I could do that one or two kisses thing. I'd probably end up eating the whole bag...that's my problem. I feel like it's almost like being an alcoholic with sweets!
    I am hoping to jump back into working out, when my husband gets back from China. He has been travelling so much lately that it makes taking any 'me' time difficult!
    Thanks for sharing. :happy: It helps to hear from others, doesn't it?
  • otcarlson
    otcarlson Posts: 16
    Options
    I am the queen of cravings. I am happy when I am eating, so dieting and staying within a certain amount of calories is REALLY hard. I find if I stay away from stuff that set off my cravings, for example, chips, I do much better than if I just have one. If I get just one, its like the monster comes out...and that monster is ugly. I really struggle. All of your suggestions on this message board is very helpful. I am currently going to a bariatrics doctor, and she did tell me to stay away from chewing gum because it stimulates the appetite. She also says diet drinks stimulate the appetite.:brokenheart:
  • talbiya
    Options
    I forgot to say to Cindy...thank you. You are right, swimming is great. I have done so a couple of times. :smile:
    otcarlson, I agree with you. I don't think I am able to hold myself back if I have just one too. There's always that mantra in my head when I do that..."You will be really strict with your diet TOMORROW!"
    Once I'm off the wagon, it's hard to get back on, if you know what I mean. Thanks for the help. :smile: