Advice Please :)

Options
MFP tells me to eat exactly 1800 calories. Which I have been doing over the past few weeks. But I'm only losing about a half pound a week, so I think I may need to do some adjustments. Any suggestions? And any ideas on why I might be losing so slowly? One of the first things I looked at when I found the scale was barely moving was to make sure that I was logging my calories right, but I'm always very careful to measure and even weigh my food to be sure I'm logging the right amount. I log the oil I cook with, the sauces, the salt and spices I put in, everything. So I know my counts are accurate.

I have a desk job and work 14 hour days at a computer so I have my settings at "sedentary".

Here are my stats if that will help:
5'4"
32 years old
340 lbs

I know I probably need to just go in and do some manual adjusting to my calorie goals and drop my goals by 500 calories or so, but I know from experience that I feel hungry all the time when I try to eat only 1400 cals a day. I'll will end up doing that if I have to, but knowing I still have so much to lose I'm not sure I want to drop my calories that far this early on.

Anyway, any suggestions or advice is welcome. :) I could use some. Thank you in advance for taking the time to leave some advice! :heart:

Replies

• stephanie_salvi
    Options
    Decrease your calories per week until you get down to a level where you're losing the weight you want. I'd say eat 1800 a day next week, 1700 a day the week after, etc etc. Of course, don't do this until you're starving yourself. 1200 seems to be the generally excepted lowest, but everyone's different. Might be 1400 for you.

Also, how much are you exercising? Can you exercise more? Or with more intensity?

And wow, 45 pounds lost. That's awesome!
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Maybe some experimenting with your food choices! I've also heard zig-zagging can help break a plateau, but I have no experience with this.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Decrease your calories per week until you get down to a level where you're losing the weight you want. I'd say eat 1800 a day next week, 1700 a day the week after, etc etc. Of course, don't do this until you're starving yourself. 1200 seems to be the generally excepted lowest, but everyone's different. Might be 1400 for you.

Also, how much are you exercising? Can you exercise more? Or with more intensity?

Yeah, I can definitely up my workouts, and I know that will help a lot. But according to the site I should be losing 2 lbs a week (even when not factoring in calorie burns), so I'm not sure what the deal is. But yeah, I'm working on getting more physical activity in, which will help. Just wish I knew a good place to set my base calories at which won't leave me hungry all the time.

I like your idea though, I guess I can just gradually start decreasing the cals every week until the scale starts moving again. :)
  • gorgeouss9
    Options
    To stay at your current weight, you will need to eat 2,300. To lose one pound per week, you need to decrease your calories by 500 per day.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/calorie-calculator/NU00598
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    Maybe some experimenting with your food choices! I've also heard zig-zagging can help break a plateau, but I have no experience with this.

That was helping me for a while a couple weeks ago, but then the zig-zagging stopped helping, unfortified. Maybe you're right, I might have just hit a plateau.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    That's a killer schedule! Can you make your diary public so we can see what you're doing on a daily basis?
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Half a pound a week is really good, sustainable and gives your skin time to adjust so you are less likely to have sagging skin issues.

How much exercise are you able to do? Adding a bit more may help. Reducing cals slightly may help, maybe adjust every 2 weeks down to about 1500.

Being stuck behind a computer all day sucks. You can sneak in some activity that will help. Every hour (use the computer alarm) stand up and do some exercises like squats, arm windmills, pushups off your desk, lunges or just 10 or 12 giant steps around the office. You only need to do 3-6 of each if you're pushed for time. There are websites which will give you more info on this too. If you're self conscious about other workers comments you can go to the kitchen and exercise there, or the bathroom or just tell them you are rocking your awesomeness (thankyou Mrs Floyd for this suggestion).

And if you are already doing all this then great. And I agree with Stephanie re: the weight loss.
  • Tkwild
    Tkwild Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    What's your BMR? I would think that 1800 cals might actually be too low for you, I know that if I eat too few cals I don't lose. I reckon have a few days that are at higher cals (2000 perhaps?) and you'll pretty much be able to tell straight away if that's helped. You can always drop lower if it doesn't.
  • stephanie_salvi
    Options

Yeah, I can definitely up my workouts, and I know that will help a lot. But according to the site I should be losing 2 lbs a week (even when not factoring in calorie burns), so I'm not sure what the deal is. But yeah, I'm working on getting more physical activity in, which will help. Just wish I knew a good place to set my base calories at which won't leave me hungry all the time.

I like your idea though, I guess I can just gradually start decreasing the cals every week until the scale starts moving again. :)

Give yourself time to adjust. You might be hungry at 1700 for a few days before you get used to it. Doesn't necessarily mean that you need to eat more calories. And a little hungry is different than starved.
  • stephaniev07
    stephaniev07 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Not sure what exercise you are doing, but my dr told me to be sure I vary my work outs because the body is VERY good at trying to conserve our fat stores. maybe while at your desk, you could bring some 5 lb weights to work, and use them as often as you can, or some strap on leg weights and any time you can just get up and walk around your desk. Also I have heard that using a yoga ball instead of a computer chair can help too.Not sure if that is true or not. just throwing idea's out there. Also if you have a computer chair that lets you recline a little sometimes I will lean back and then use my stomach muscles to bring myself back up I do that when I am stuck at the computer. And as others have said try changing your diet up a little. and slowly decrease your calories until you are seeing the scale move a little better. Hope this helps.
  • cechavar
    Options
    Ok so MFP gives u a caloric number to slowly help u reach ur goals because it is safe n helps you maintained the steady progress towards ur goal. I would not suggest u eat less because this can actually slow down your metabolism n u end up burning less calories bc ur body goes into starvation mode n wants to store everything. I would suggest u do the manual option and decrease the % of calories u eat from carbohydrates...so try to eat more proteins n less carbs..
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I guess this also depends on what you're eating to meet your calorie goal - some foods make you naturally feel more satiated than others. Protein keeps you fuller for longer - whereas processed carbs cause spikes in blood sugar and you'll feel hungry again in a shorter period after in comparison to unprocessed carbs and protein. Brown pasta and rice are good options - together with plenty vegetables and whole grains. Nuts and seeds, avocado and other 'natural' fats are also great for snacking on and keeping you full, whilst also having loads of additional health benefits :)

Hope this helps

H
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'd try it for a bit longer before you reduce calories. It sounds like you are loggin really accurately which is great.
    The other thing to check is - are you overestimating exercise?

If that's accurate, then I wouldn't change anything yet - give it another few weeks, then you could drop 100 cals or so - but you are so right to want to stick to a realistic number of calories - I know that I won't stick to anything that is too low, so there is no point going there.

Hang in there, you will see changes!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    What's your BMR? I would think that 1800 cals might actually be too low for you, I know that if I eat too few cals I don't lose. I reckon have a few days that are at higher cals (2000 perhaps?) and you'll pretty much be able to tell straight away if that's helped. You can always drop lower if it doesn't.

This is what I was thinking. I know it sounds crazy that some people have to eat more to lose more, but it works. At 5'5 and 170 pounds I can't eat fewer than 1500 calories plus whatever I burn from exercise and still lose weight. Also, exercise is way more important for me than the calorie deficit. If I don't exercise 4-5 days a week I don't burn the fat.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I've stopped completely my diary awhile ago and I can tell that I'm maintaining right now-I'll probably start losing again in a month or so. When I was strict with eating I was at 1200-1500 cals a day with or without exercise include. I wasn't hungry and I wasn't sick. I lost on average 2lbs/week. My exercise routine was 6 days a week, 40 min cardio which burned about 415-460 cals plus I did another 45 min or so of strength training. gym sessions were and still are 1-2 hrs/day.

My starting weight was about 180 and I'm staying at 159-160 now, My height is 5'4".

Feeling hungry doesn't always mean you are. A lot of times it means you need more water. If you are involved in sedentary activities such as working at a computer and watching tv or a movie it tricks you into feeling hungry. Also, it takes certain people a lot longer to get used to proper portion sizes.

If you can't get to a gym look up at home routines to do. There are a lot of exercises involving bodyweight and object around the office or home that can be very helpful.

Drink a lot of water, eat a lot of fruits and veggies and get your protein from the leanest sources possible. Try to eat as few processed foods as possible.

Remember that a loss is a loss, It may be slow going at first but just stick with healhty eating and exercise. Even if it's only a brisk walk for 20 min a day starting out. MFP gives you guidelines on what to do, and I take them into consideration, but I don't get super freaked out or concerned when they say I should or shouldn't do certain things. I've seen healthy eating and exercise work for me so that's what I do. Of course I suppose what is considered 'healthy' and what is considered 'exercise' are relative.
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    Wow! Lots of info to absorb and advice to take into consideration. Thank you guys! I'm still not sure about what to do but I've got a lot of options to consider.
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hey Stacy,

Have you ever tried Herbalife? I dropped my body fat percentage 3% in just five weeks by replacing a bad meal with a nutritious smoothie instead, and started getting some proper nutrition. These smoothies have 1500 calories worth of nutrients in under 300 calories per smoothie -- They're amazing. My email is LuellaMH@gmail.com if you'd like to chat more about it!

- Luella
    ISAR - Ever heard of astrosurfing?
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I agree with lowering your intake by a *little bit* and seeing how it goes. I'm so glad you're not eating a very low calorie count!

The BMR calculators are very inaccurate. You can either cut small amounts every 3 weeks until you start to lose weight or you can get your BMR tested in a lab. The latter might be a fun thing to do but you can get around it if you don't have the cash to spend on that.
  • Olisellana
    Options

Stacy, your body will tell you this information. If you can drop down to about 1400 calories just to start. After this if you are still hungry throughout the day then you need to up it to 1500. i think that since your eating 1800 and only losing 1/2 lb per week 1400 would be a good starting point. Never go below 1200 calories. If you get to that point then I would say that you need to find more ways to exercise. Also just for a suggestion. I have a friend who sits at a desk like you are saying and she uses a large ball to sit on at her desk. The reason for this is because she has to balance herself on the ball the whole day and she is working muscles while she is trying to balance. Might want to give it a shot it might be something you like. Obvisouly the ball has to be as high as your computer chair.
  • LesleeAH
    Options

I agree. I was eating 1800 and losing 1 pound a week when I was 200 pounds. If it says you should be losing 2lb a week and you're only losing half, then that's not right. You should probably be eating closer to your BMR, which is likely to be about 2300.