Casein Protein

Options
Does anyone here use Casein Protein throughout the night? If you are wondering what Casein protein is...basically it is a slow acting protein that works through while your sleeping. I am just wondering if anyone else takes this for their weight loss and if so do you only take it on days that you workout heavy or do you take it every night? I'm asking because a friend recommended me this.

Replies

• Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I take it about an hour before sleep each night, religiously. I'm one of those guys who eats a huge meal and then 30 minutes later comes sniffing back in the kitchen for more. I'm constantly hungry. The casein protein is not only a good idea metabolically speaking (your muscles gaining a continual stream of animo acids while they're rebuilding) but it also curbs my appetite. The casein forms a 'gel' like coating in your stomach that is as delicious as it is filling.

I used Optimum Nutrition's casein...primarily because I'm a fan of ON's entire protein line.

I've herd of other brands that are supposedly tastier, so ensure you do your homework on what you prefer more...A tasty drink, or a budget option with decent flavor.
  • Olisellana
    Options
    I am also using the ON line. I love their protein and their other products. I wouldn't change the line for anything.
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I was taking it with the specific goal of just reducing the catabolic effect in an attempt to build and retain muscle. Used Optimum Nutrition brand as well as Syntha 6 (syntha 6 has a blend).

It was just eating into my wallet, so every now and than I might just have a regular protein shake at night. I was taking quite an array of supps in large quantities so I really couldn't tell if it actually worked for me or not.
  • tonitgarner
    Options
    I know in some research studies they have used casein protein to activate cancer cells in rats. Casein in a milk protein. Casein is the reason I cut dairy out of my diet.
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    dont waste money on it (:
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    The Claim: Protein hydrolystates (as opposed to protein isolates or concentrates) are further broken down into peptide fragments from their original intact/protein-bound state. This quality is touted to make these proteins superior for muscle recovery & anabolism due to their more rapid absorption. The Facts: There is no compelling evidence that the substantially more expensive protein hydrolysates are better than concentrates or isolates for muscle anabolism. The research thus far comparing intact proteins with hydrolysates is contradictory for both whey and casein. This means that spending double or triple for worse-tasting protein hydrolysates is a big leap of faith.
  • Olisellana
    Options
    The Claim: Protein hydrolystates (as opposed to protein isolates or concentrates) are further broken down into peptide fragments from their original intact/protein-bound state. This quality is touted to make these proteins superior for muscle recovery & anabolism due to their more rapid absorption. The Facts: There is no compelling evidence that the substantially more expensive protein hydrolysates are better than concentrates or isolates for muscle anabolism. The research thus far comparing intact proteins with hydrolysates is contradictory for both whey and casein. This means that spending double or triple for worse-tasting protein hydrolysates is a big leap of faith.

Thanks for the update. Therefore the research just isn't there and until it is I should just stick with the whey protein.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    My dietician only recommends Whey. I think some of the others are just hooey.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that the digestion rate of protein isn't really an issue in the long term and therefore it really doesn't benefit you to take casein before bed, outside of it's contribution to your total daily intake.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I take it every night almost before bed... I mean right before bed. It's my nightly treat/dessert because it's soooo thick and yummy. ON 100% casein chocolate/peanut butter. Weather or not it does magic at night while I sleep, I don't care. I do it to add to my overall protein number and because it just satisfies me. I wake up feeling well rested.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that the digestion rate of protein isn't really an issue in the long term and therefore it really doesn't benefit you to take casein before bed, outside of it's contribution to your total daily intake.

/thread