• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    They are overweight because they OVERATE CARBS

Fixed.

Sincerely,
    Gary.

Just kidding Niner :)
    Ahaha! I'm gonna go with McDonald's........................

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I am one of those "crazy" people that have a hard time eating over 1200 calories a day. I am not starving myself, in fact I eat quite a bit more then I used to but my choices are better. My favorite snack is 10 cocktail tomatoes quartered with salt and pepper. That is one large dinner plate full of tomatoes and runs about 150 calories. It's quite filling and is frequently my bedtime snack. This is my go to substitute for a salty snack craving and has replaced potatoe chips for me. I am not going to just eat peanut butter and drink milk to increase calories when I'm not hungry because someone on here thinks I should. I've always had a small appetite. I gained weight from drinking 2+ litres of milk a day and eating one unhealthy meal a day (sometimes fast food) and munching on snacks before bed. Yes I have lived to the ripe old age of 39 eating this way and sometimes....dare i say it....not eating anything all day (if I am busy I frequently forget to eat). I don't even feel dizzy or weak or hungry when I skip eating a whole day! I personally don't understand that statement at all since I have never in my life experienced these side effects from a skipped meal. My weight gain was slowly done over many years. I struggle to eat 1200 calories because I'm fussy and will not gag down things I don't like. I love fruit. I love veggies. I love chicken. How much chicken breast, fruit and veggies does it take to get to 1200 calories? That's a whole lot of food....I was quite surprised to discover! I take a multi-vitamin to make sure I get all the nutrients my body needs. And before anyone starts the "starvation mode" thing...most of the "medical" documents I've read say it is real and happens when your body fat stores get too low....I've got a ways to go before that happens!

I hope this helps all of the "supportive" people on here understand those of us that struggle to eat 1200 calories.
  • rowerrunnercmt
    Options
    Even when eating low-cal food, I find it very hard to eat anything below about 1600 calories without feeling ravenous the entire day! I have a big appetite, unfortunately, which caused me to gain weight when I started puberty. Over the past couple years, though, I've learned that in order to eat what I want, I need to exercise. I've discovered that I LOVE exercise, especially running!
    I'm of the mind that if you're hungry, you should eat something healthy, and if you're concerned about calories, go exercise!
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    @Roni I know right! I've been looking at the diaries of others just to see how they do it. We're not even talking PB and milk. I see people consuming cookie dough and protein powder to add calories. I'll be darned if I'm going to... Yuck!

That said, when my nutritionist looked at my diary she made some suggestions that did help. For my breakfast I often have berries, goat yoghurt and granola. She suggested that I increase my granola. It had enough calories in it that I only have to jump from 18g to 25 or 30g to make my breakfast the desired 400 calories. It's maybe another tbsp I have to eat. I have also split my meals into a meal and a snack. It means I'm eating ALL DAY and, frankly, it's exhausting. That's really a "high class" problem though so I'll persevere:wink:

As for some of the comments on here - wow. If you can't help, please, don't hinder.
  • mea9
    Options
    Another really good one my nutritionist came up with is 3 food groups with each meal (or meal/snack). She WILL NOT count oil as a food group- I tried:)

So a pear is not a meal but a pear with 1/4 spelt pita and a tbsp hummus is:)) Vegetable soup isn't a meal but vegetable soup with beans and 1/4 spelt pita is. Yeah I do buy a pkg of spelt pita on "fresh pita day" at my local healthfood store, cut into 1/4 and freeze.
  • Roni_M
    Options
    @Roni I know right! I've been looking at the diaries of others just to see how they do it. We're not even talking PB and milk. I see people consuming cookie dough and protein powder to add calories. I'll be darned if I'm going to... Yuck!

That said, when my nutritionist looked at my diary she made some suggestions that did help. For my breakfast I often have berries, goat yoghurt and granola. She suggested that I increase my granola. It had enough calories in it that I only have to jump from 18g to 25 or 30g to make my breakfast the desired 400 calories. It's maybe another tbsp I have to eat. I have also split my meals into a meal and a snack. It means I'm eating ALL DAY and, frankly, it's exhausting. That's really a "high class" problem though so I'll persevere:wink:

As for some of the comments on here - wow. If you can't help, please, don't hinder.

I really don't understand the thinking of just stuffing yourself to reach a "magic" number. If my body needed more food I think it would let me know. I couldn't eat all day long like that! I just don't have the time or inclination to make food such a prority in my life. Healthy eating needs to be simple and convenient for me. I have been doing fruit and oatmeal for breakfast, generally still skip lunch (I really really tried but when I'm not hungry nothing in the fridge looks appealing!), and for dinner generally chicken and a lot of veggies (broccoli is my favorite!). I am lower on carbs because I'm not a big starch fan! I've been getting those lean cuisine frozen dinners for the nights the family wants pasta (I'm not a huge pasta fan!) I have one of those with a plateful of veggies (still makes dinner under 450 calories). If I have salad for dinner I throw a handful of cheese and diced chicken breast on it to get the calories up a bit (well actually it's just because I like cheese on my salad! LOL). Another favorite dinner of mine is a stir fry with chicken and veggies...I buy the fresh stirfry veggie bag. So delicious and easy to do for myself while making something else for my hubby (he's not a veggie fan). I'm all about the "convenience" aspect of eating healthy...otherwise I just wouldn't bother.
  • wanda007
    Options
    Who are these peeps? Are they human or are they from strange world:huh:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I really don't understand the thinking of just stuffing yourself to reach a "magic" number. If my body needed more food I think it would let me know. I couldn't eat all day long like that! I just don't have the time or inclination to make food such a prority in my life. Healthy eating needs to be simple and convenient for me. I have been doing fruit and oatmeal for breakfast, generally still skip lunch (I really really tried but when I'm not hungry nothing in the fridge looks appealing!), and for dinner generally chicken and a lot of veggies (broccoli is my favorite!). I am lower on carbs because I'm not a big starch fan! I've been getting those lean cuisine frozen dinners for the nights the family wants pasta (I'm not a huge pasta fan!) I have one of those with a plateful of veggies (still makes dinner under 450 calories). If I have salad for dinner I throw a handful of cheese and diced chicken breast on it to get the calories up a bit (well actually it's just because I like cheese on my salad! LOL). Another favorite dinner of mine is a stir fry with chicken and veggies...I buy the fresh stirfry veggie bag. So delicious and easy to do for myself while making something else for my hubby (he's not a veggie fan). I'm all about the "convenience" aspect of eating healthy...otherwise I just wouldn't bother.

If you knew how to listen to your body, and your body told you properly what it needed, you wouldn't have to lose weight, would you? Most of losing weight and getting healthy is retraining your body to eat properly. Your body adapts to what you do to it. Just because it adjusts to chronic underrating as a survival mechanism, doesn't automatically make it healthy.
  • mea9
    Options
    @ Roni There isn't a thing in the world wrong with a 450 calorie supper. It's perfect.

I love oatmeal too but I grate in an apple and add a handful of pecans. OMG so good on a cold day.

Lunch seems to be your problem area. I'm with you about not eating just to eat. It makes food ugly and, I think, that's when you can develop issues. I'm no expert but I went like that for a bit too. Then, all of a sudden, I got hungry. Perfect. I like soup or a salad for lunch. I make my soup at the weekend and freeze. A few minutes in the microwave and, with a toasted pita 1/4 - lunch. Don't worry. It comes together.

I'm not a fan of pasta either. I like a pita because it's not "doughy" and and "yeasty" and what I've also discovered is sweet potato. Baked with salsa. Add an egg (or some chicken or fish) and you've got a meal.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I don't 'stuff' myself, but I eat things like salmon which is about 367cals/178g, avocado which is about 276 for a medium one. These together equal 643 cals plus the other fruits and vegetables I include in my meal(s). I also eat nuts, fresh cocnut, eggs etc. I personally don't really like bread, or pasta much and rarely eat it. I'm not saying that there aren't people who live on a small amount of calories, but I'm also saying that some people who don't take the time to write down what they eat grossly underestimate the calories consumed, and that I've seen it happen. Of course sometimes I only get to 1000 calories a day, and I agree, if you're full don't stuff yourself. This place has basic guidelines to follow, not rules. You don't have to stuff yourself, but you should look for ways to eat healthfully and lose weight. Also, do the foods you consume give you energy to go work out or just get you through the day? They should be able to sustain you plus energize you for a work out or some kind of exercise throughout the day.
  • Roni_M
    Options

If you knew how to listen to your body, and your body told you properly what it needed, you wouldn't have to lose weight, would you? Most of losing weight and getting healthy is retraining your body to eat properly. Your body adapts to what you do to it. Just because it adjusts to chronic underrating as a survival mechanism, doesn't automatically make it healthy.

Actually...if you had of read my previous post you would see that I used to drink a lot of calories...that is why I am working on losing weight. I have never had a big appetite and have eaten once a day for most of my life. When you consume 2000 calories a day in beverages it doesn't matter what you eat...you will gain weight over time. I never said I ate healthy and gained weight. I said I ate one unhealthy meal (high in calories and low in nutrients) a day. i have never had a big appetite. My point is that not everyone is here for the same reasons and I'm not willing (and never have been) to eat when I'm not hungry. 1200 calories of lean meat, veggies and fruit is a lot of food.
  • mrs07312012
    mrs07312012 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ok, I get the science behind it and I've read articles like the popular one titled "obesity at 700 calories"... But when I continuously see people on the forums saying how hard it is to eat 1200 calories a day and that they just can't possibly eat that much, I have to say it never fails to baffle my mind. I could easily put away 3,000 calories a day if I could. I just love to eat. That is all. :)

My heart goes out, but I am here to connect with can-do people who are as determined as I am to reach these goals.
    [/quote

Wow really.... I am reading this on a support website. I guess I'm either a lier, a nut job or have a eating disorder because this is the calorie guide line I am currently following. Under doctors watch of course and due to some health issues, but I don't think that I am any of these things, and I am a very "can-do" person and will not always be on this limited amount, but I will as well reach my goals!!! And yes some days it is hard to reach 1200 calories a day, believe it or not, not all days but some it is. You plan every single meal and read calories on absolutly everything and some days it is really hard to get that 2nd snack in.... read my food journal I eat ALOT of food sometimes just this morning I had 5 egg whites, 4 strips of morning star veggie bacon, two cups of spinich ( that was around 298 calories) and I am still stuffed and it's lunch time.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    LOL, I sort of get it. I think back to when I first started Weight Watchers back in January, and I had a hard time eating all my points. Well, that didn't last long! I think it's something that mostly affects beginners, or maybe these people are eating super high fiber foods and feeling full all the time.
  • mrs07312012
    mrs07312012 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Not big into cheese either - it makes me feel sick.The bread dip sounds yummy though. I grew up in a family that ate out constantly (which is where the original weight issue came from) and now that I am trying to be healthier I am becoming the one who cooks and trying to learn what works best for what is like earning a second bachelors for me. That's why I bug my health nut fiance all the time. :blushing:

I so agree with you. It's all about cooking or, in my case, relearning to cook. I like lentils and rice together (as in stuffed pepper with…) and the calories add up pretty fast. I have also found I prefer feta cheese to regular cow cheese. You need very little and it doesn’t have the same texture but loaded with nutrients. I'm trying to eat clean so avoid the "manufactured" chemical food like products on the market these days.

Call me silly but it never crossed my mind to mix lentils and rice and make stuffed peppers.... You just made my day I am so excited to make this!!!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Ok, I get the science behind it and I've read articles like the popular one titled "obesity at 700 calories"... But when I continuously see people on the forums saying how hard it is to eat 1200 calories a day and that they just can't possibly eat that much, I have to say it never fails to baffle my mind. I could easily put away 3,000 calories a day if I could. I just love to eat. That is all. :)

My heart goes out, but I am here to connect with can-do people who are as determined as I am to reach these goals.
    [/quote

Wow really.... I am reading this on a support website. I guess I'm either a lier, a nut job or have a eating disorder because this is the calorie guide line I am currently following. Under doctors watch of course and due to some health issues, but I don't think that I am any of these things, and I am a very "can-do" person and will not always be on this limited amount, but I will as well reach my goals!!! And yes some days it is hard to reach 1200 calories a day, believe it or not, not all days but some it is. You plan every single meal and read calories on absolutly everything and some days it is really hard to get that 2nd snack in.... read my food journal I eat ALOT of food sometimes just this morning I had 5 egg whites, 4 strips of morning star veggie bacon, two cups of spinich ( that was around 298 calories) and I am still stuffed and it's lunch time.

Well that's the thing - why did you only have the whites of the egg? I don't get why you say it's hard get to 1200 but then you fix your meal in a way that's guaranteed to be lower cals? Use the yolk, add a cube of feta cheese and you automatically have at least 200 extra cals!!

This is the kind of thing that gets annoying fast - people whining and pretending they can't get to 1200 when in reality they're purposefully omitting foods (like the yolk - why would anyone do that if they're "having trouble getting to their goal cals???) or using the "low fat" or "non fat" version of things. Puhhhleaaaaze!!
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    They are overweight because they OVERATE MC FAST FOOD

Now that's fixed *goes into hiding*

Back to topic, its BS to say that only ppl with ED eat under 1200kcal. You can eat above with an ED.... and just throw up afterwards... or work out yourself to death. ED is not something that you can easily explain or simplify and it is a very personal disorder... so it would for once be helpful if those of you, who have never been there, stop assuming...

And no, you won't get fat because you eat unde,r but you certainly won;t help yourself losing weight if you are constantly under your calorie goal

As for dood, I can easily eat above 3000 - but I can easily slip into the habit of eating far below what I should be eating as well. Give people some credit. Dieting is such a confusing thing, there are so many different diets and views and everyone things they know something and they know it best - no wonder you get to a point where you think... what the heck am I supposed to be doing... oh I go simple and just don't put so much food in.

As for rubbish food, I have seen some diaries here, that really make me cringe. Not because I think my own is perfect, oh no, I am far from perfect. But I have seen people who manage daily to stay under 1000kcal or 1200 just by eating crap. Not everyone wants to go the same way. And the ones that assume that they are doing it right, should give others the benefit of doubt to do it right as well... their way
  • Roni_M
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions on increasing my calories...however I am good! I do not feel hungry, weak, tired or anything of the sort. I have energy to exercise and am not languishing away in a dark corner. I do not have an eating disorder. I do not have any mental illness. I do not like fish. I do not like avocado. Here's a huge shocker...I don't like sweets and I hate chocolate (since I was a small child). I know, I know....now you all think I'm a liar because what person doesn't like chocolate? Maybe I should post pictures of myself as a child at Easter sitting beside my BBQ peanuts and chips to prove the point? I log everything, including the spices I use when cooking, the excel gum I chew and the flavored water I drink. Why is it so hard for you to except that someone is eating under 1200 calories and is fine? I would fit right in if I was on here saying I couldn't stay away from pizza and chocolate cupcakes! (I don't like either!). I eat a small breakfast (one pkg of instant oatmeal with splenda and cinnamon and a peice of fruit, 2 cups of coffee with 2% milk and splenda). Three hours later I am not hungry so skip lunch. At dinner I eat a large quantity of low calorie food (large dinner plate full) and then before bed I eat a banana (after walking) or if I'm looking for something salty...cocktail tomatoes with salt and pepper. I am deffinately not starving. I generally average about 1000 calories. I am losing weight. My blood tests are all good (I go frequently). Except yesterday.... Cocktails at my Xmas party were 1956 all by themselves!

I would just like for all you people who think the under 1200 calorie people are liars or nut jobs to understand that we are all different and what works for you may not work for someone else. There are no right and wrongs and maybe you guys are pushing your issues of staying under your calories off on the ones who have a problem hitting ours. When I started this I asked the question about low calories and had many rude comments. Don't be so judgemental...we are all here to get healthier than we were. I would never be rude to someone who has a hard time staying under... Why do you think it's ok to be rude to us?

PS: this of course is only meant for the rude people...you all know who you are!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    People who "can't eat 1200 calories" are usually people with eating disorders or people who think "dieting" means eating only carrot sticks and salad all day.

Toss some olive oil into your meal, you can easily add a couple hundred extra calories, plus one of the healthiest fats around, with no problems. I very rarely eat below 2000 calories.

You are spot on!
    I eat around 3000 and have lost over 64 lbs.
  • indianlarry11
    indianlarry11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just killed 1700 calories at the salad buffet last night!!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options

These people are either lying or have an eating disorder. They're some nut jobs here with no business trying to lose weight. And there are others who'll die fat I am sorry to say.

[/quote

Well that's the thing - why did you only have the whites of the egg? I don't get why you say it's hard get to 1200 but then you fix your meal in a way that's guaranteed to be lower cals? Use the yolk, add a cube of feta cheese and you automatically have at least 200 extra cals!!

This is the kind of thing that gets annoying fast - people whining and pretending they can't get to 1200 when in reality they're purposefully omitting foods (like the yolk - why would anyone do that if they're "having trouble getting to their goal cals???) or using the "low fat" or "non fat" version of things. Puhhhleaaaaze!!
    Again, perfect observation.
    It's laughable to be so clueless when we're all professors in overeating...lol

Again, connect with those willing to take ownership of their health - not perpetuate the same old lines.