What do you think this picture is? Sorta shocking if true.

Options

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I saw what could be interpreted as a plane flying into a building but then I was almost expecting something like that because of the OP mentioning Iraq . The power of suggestion should never be underestimated,.

So I showed my husband the picture without comment and asked what it looked like to him and he just saw a cityscape with a road leading into it so different interpretations there. Personally I think he is correct and I just saw what I was expecting to see.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    And I saw the Virgin Mary in my toast.

You'll see what you want to see. Follow the link:

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/photos/pepsican.asp
  • annejuju
    annejuju Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    One thing I can say is that it's interesting that it was a base in Iraq and that we've not seen the cans here in the US or at least I've not. If it's no big deal why didn't they put the design out here in America?

Product designs vary from country to country all the time. This isn't odd.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    166940_2829326772327_1233822036_33215683_1790611158_n.jpg

It's a city scape that happens to have two tall buildings. Additionally the two tall buildings aren't nearly as close as the WTC building are.

Pretty sure this isn't intentional in the slightest. After the attacks there was big to do about a starbucks ad that had two drinks and a dragonfly in the background. It's just a coincidence. People will find things to be offended about if they want to be.

not being in NY, or USA , it just looks like a city scene tbh

whats all the fuss over
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Actually I said that "he" said this...

This is what he said:
    "FB family I need your help, so today while in Iraq shutting down one of the bases there ironically enough I stumbled upon this can of diet pepsi. Take a close look at the picture and tell me the first thought that comes to your mind. Mine and many other of my brother in arms was not a pleasant one so I just want to make sure we re not bias. If you see the same thing I did, I will never ever buy another Pepsi product again, this is an insult. Thank you for your feedback and participation.
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    The picture resembles a city and normally there are planes in the sky on any given day especially in a large city as the one depicted in this image. It would be ridiculous is there wasn't a plane in the sky in a city such as this.

This is similar to a building being built I think in Thailand with two towers and they have a section connecting the towers. People got very upset over that but the intention was to create the look of clouds between the towers. People assumed that they were trying to replicate how the attack looked.

It is understandable that people may get upset about these things and it is a sensitive issue, however, overreacting won't solve anything. I haven't purchased a pepsi or coke product in the last 4 years but that is because I stopped drinking soda then.
  • javajunki
    Options
    I say boycott all Pepsi products! and Just to be safe, all Coke products. Ya know ... we would all be healthier if we didn't drink ANY soda-pop at all. That would start a domino effect, less to the soda Giants, healthier people spend less on Medicine and that put's a damper on the whole medical-industrial complex. hmmm forget it, It all makes too much sense for anyone to believe it.
  • pkarim
    Options
    When I was in India they had some really random designs on their coke and pepsi products. Every single design doesn't necessarily need to be sold in every single country.
  • meshellmybell76
    meshellmybell76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The plane isn't flying into the building, it's just flying overhead. You can see the pic better on the snopes page. It does bear a bit of a resemblance, but I think if they did it on purpose they would have made it more obvious, like with the plane about to hit the building or something. The plane isn't headed toward the building, it's just overhead.

exactly. Also, these random buildings look nothing like the World Trade Center.
  • pkarim
    Options
    When I was in India they had some really random designs on their coke and pepsi products. Every single design doesn't necessarily need to be sold in every single country.
  • fit4mom
    Options
    I say boycott all Pepsi products! and Just to be safe, all Coke products. Ya know ... we would all be healthier if we didn't drink ANY soda-pop at all. That would start a domino effect, less to the soda Giants, healthier people spend less on Medicine and that put's a damper on the whole medical-industrial complex. hmmm forget it, It all makes too much sense for anyone to believe it.
    I like your common sense. It made me smile cause it came out of no where. :D
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    In India you can buy *Mein Kampf* on the street... so much about that. Also, the swastika is a sybiol stolen from India if I remember right.

It's a city landscape with a plane on it. Inb all fairness, I had a picture on the wall at work, with the twin towers and a plane crossing them after 9/11 we thought it was kind creepy but still, it's just a picture. I don't think there was any intent
  • nurse_chris
    Options
    My first thought was "who uses that ugly baby blue to promote something"....
  • fit4mom
    Options
    I think when it comes down to it he's upset because it was found on a base in Iraq which is where the attack stemmed from. It's interesting that they chose to put that design on the can in that specific area.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I agree with people being too sensitive.. I just thought it looked like a Pepsi can with a city on it.

We over-analyze everything.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I can understand the anger if it were true.

However, to me those buildings look nothing like the twin towers. Just a city with a plane flying overhead, a scene that many probably see each and every day. I doubt it was intentional.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    At first glance it just looked like a city but once I started studying it, I see where there might be a problem.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Companies put different designs in different countries for all sorts of reasons. It's marketing and has been done for as long as companies have been putting out products. Yes it was a tragedy but it's a bit of a reach to think of NYC every time you see picture of a city-scape which in most cities means airplanes in the air.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

Good job. Snopes is always the first place I go when I want to know the truth behind something I found on the Internet. As for the Pepsi can, I can see the vague resemblance, but it's obvious that wasn't the intent of the can.
  • fit4mom
    Options

Good job. Snopes is always the first place I go when I want to know the truth behind something I found on the Internet. As for the Pepsi can, I can see the vague resemblance, but it's obvious that wasn't the intent of the can.
    Quiet honesty I'm not personally sure if intent is really made very clear here.