The body AFTER starvation mode?

Options
So, I've been out of starvation mode for approximately 3-4 months. I came out by eating tons of protein and exercising. Now that I'm back on my healthy eating & exercising regimen, absolutely NOTHING is happening. It seems like I gain weight from dieting and exercising. I don't eat or drink anything without logging it in here. I power walk for at least an 60 every day and strength train 3 days of the week. Does this have to do with being in starvation mode? I've put my body through all kinds of crap diets in the past... Have I permenanlty screwed up my metabolism? I drink water, but I know I can drink more. And I'll be honest, I could eat more fruits and vegetables, but I don't really have access to buy healthy food in my house. Am I going be stuck like this for the rest of my life? D:

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you currently eating and what is your protein/fat/carb goals for that intake?
  • theMacOfGoals
    Options
    My daily caloric intake varies, but I usually try to go for 1400 net calories. Protein: 65g Fat: 56g Carbs:235g

Of course, this all varies when I exercise..
  • JasHayes
    Options
    how tall are you? whats your bmr? how old are you? and and is your general calorie intake? starvation mode is dangerous, especially for females.
  • EroseT23
    EroseT23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

This explains a lot of what your body goes through. Take care and good luck.
  • theMacOfGoals
    Options
    5'6
    162 lbs as of today
    My exercise is somewhat moderate but long so to maintain my weight would be 2,392 calories a day.
    I try my best to never go under 1,400 net calories.

Yes, starvation mode is dangerous, but I'm not in it anymore. I'm just wondering if it has messed up my metabolism for the rest of my life
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    How do you know you were in starvation mode?

How do you know you are out of it?

What is your definition of starvation mode anyway? Note: I ask because there is a true 'starvation mode' that kicks in in a Donner party situation, then there's what MFP calls "starvation mode", that's really more of an adaptive response to a chronic calorie deficit and weight loss. Other people call this the 'famine response' or ... I forget the other terms for it.
  • theMacOfGoals
    Options
    Well, my understanding of "starvation mode" is when your body has been severely starved for a period of time, and then once you start eating a regular healthy amount of calories, your body holds on to it, and you end up gaining back all the weight you lost, and sometimes even more. Lucky for me, I didn't gain an extra 20lbs.

Anyways, that's just my basic knowledge of starvation mode.
    I'm pretty darn sure I'm out of it, because my family ingests protein ALL the time, which is what I read that helps people get the body out of starvation mode.. We basically live off of eggs and chicken. And I've got an undying love for peanut butter <3

It's been months since I've been out of starvation mode. I just want to make sure there are no aftershocks of it.
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I found this on WW. Very interesting.

The Starvation Myth
    The idea that "not eating enough" causes the body to stop losing weight because it goes into "starvation mode" is a popular myth among dieters.
    Article By: The Weight Watchers Research Department
    Restricting calories during weight loss lowers metabolism1 because the body becomes more efficient, requiring fewer calories to perform the necessary daily functions for survival. Consequently, this can slow (but not stop) the anticipated rate of weight loss.

For example, if an individual needs 2,000 calories per day to maintain weight, reducing intake to 1,500 calories, assuming exercise stays the same, should provide a 1 pound per week weight loss (Note: 1 pound of weight is equivalent to about 3,500 calories). Furthermore, reducing to 1,000 calories should result in a weight loss of 2 pounds per week and going down to 500 calories a day should result in a weight loss of 3 pounds per week. However, if an individual actually reduces their intake to 500 calories, the weight loss would not likely be a steady 3 pounds per week because of the reduced metabolic rate. It would likely be around 2¼ to 2½ pounds. This "lower than expected" rate of weight loss is a lot different than "no" weight loss as the "starvation mode" notion proposes.
    It is unclear as to whether the relationship between reduced caloric intake and a lower metabolism follows a straight path or becomes more pronounced the greater the caloric reduction. Some studies have found no significant reduction in metabolism until the caloric restriction is quite large (e.g. 800 calories or less per day).2 Others suggest a linear relationship with small reductions in metabolism accompanying small reductions in caloric restriction, with the gap increasing as the caloric deficit is enlarged.

While there is no biologic evidence to support the "starvation mode" myth, there may be behavioral reasons why weight loss stops when calories are severely reduced. Over-restriction of calorie intake, known as high dietary restraint is linked to periods of overeating, hindering successful weight loss.3 (For more information on dietary restraint, read the Science Center article, The Skill of Flexible Restraint).

Metabolism after Weight Loss
    The good news is that after the weight-loss goal is achieved and weight has stabilized, it does not appear that the dip in metabolism is permanent. Several rigorous studies done at the University of Alabama in Birmingham showed that metabolism goes back to expected levels with sustained weight loss,4 discounting the theory that a lowered metabolism helps to explain the common phenomenon of weight regain following weight loss.

Weight Watchers Approach
    The <PointsPlus system is designed to provide a caloric intake that supports a healthy rate of weight loss, produces a minimal reduction in metabolism and avoids inducing too-high levels of dietary restraint.

This content is reviewed regularly. Last updated December 17, 2011.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    It will take a while to get back to normal but there will be some permanent damage due to this, and depending on how long you did it for too. My mother in law did this way back and now she can barely lose weight - it's a huge struggle. But, it is what it is, so just keep being healthy and your body will figure it out.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    So, I've been out of starvation mode for approximately 3-4 months. I came out by eating tons of protein and exercising. Now that I'm back on my healthy eating & exercising regimen, absolutely NOTHING is happening. It seems like I gain weight from dieting and exercising. I don't eat or drink anything without logging it in here. I power walk for at least an 60 every day and strength train 3 days of the week. Does this have to do with being in starvation mode? I've put my body through all kinds of crap diets in the past... Have I permenanlty screwed up my metabolism? I drink water, but I know I can drink more. And I'll be honest, I could eat more fruits and vegetables, but I don't really have access to buy healthy food in my house. Am I going be stuck like this for the rest of my life? D:

No, but if you can not invest in nutritious foods, your results will be inhibited.
    And you may need to give your body time to come out of the shock your created with these absurd starvation diets,
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    So, basically, you've slowed your metabolism down and you need to jump-start it. One thing that works for me is to change up my exercise routine fairly drastically every month. I also make sure to always do some form of strength-training as muscle boosts the metabolism.
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Also, eating healthy on a limited budget is possible - it just takes a lot of creativity and planning. I live in a part of the world where food is incredibly expensive (northern Canada) and I manage it by choosing my produce and cuts of meat from the stuff that is on sale and by buying healthy grains like quinoa in bulk.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    1300 is my plan for today but I also plan to eat 5,000+- later in the week :)

Cutting calories or cycling like this is not really necessary to start off with.
    Eat at a slight deficit and focus on lifestyle changes, just saying
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Well... without actually knowing what your calorie intake was and without actually doing metabolic testing... it's pretty hard to know for sure if you were ever really in starvation mode and if you're actually out of it.

What I do know is, you are gaining on ~1400 calories per day. That's a pretty low calorie intake. So either you are 1) underestimating how many calories you are actually eating, or 2) you have a slow metabolism.

I'd recommend that you don't worry so much about whether you're in or out of starvation mode- just accept the facts for what they are (fact: you are gaining on 1400 calories per day) and go from there. I suggest increasing your exercise and calorie intake for a month. Estimate how much you're burning calorie-wise each day and eat 500 calories less than that. Do this religiously for one month and then re-access. If you're still gaining, keep your exercise the same and drop your calories by 200 (total deficit of 700). If that doesn't work, I suggest getting help from a dietitian.

Even if you were in 'starvation mode', your body will eventually repair itself. But it takes time... so give yourself that time.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    What I do know is, you are gaining on ~1400 calories per day. That's a pretty low calorie intake. So either you are 1) underestimating how many calories you are actually eating, or 2) you have a slow metabolism.

You may also be overestimating the amount of calories you burn during exercise.

Do you track your sodium intake? Too much sodium can make you retain water masking your weight loss.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to increase the intensity of your exercise program? This is a great article about the best ways to exercise to help with fat loss. http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1526539 The Hierarchy of Fat Loss by Alwyn Cosgrove

Exercising this way will kick-start your metabolism.

If it's hard for you to get to the grocery store often enough to keep fresh vegetables in the house, try frozen. I love to buy mixed frozen vegetables with lots of different varieties to make quick and yummy stir-fry dinners. Just add your protein and your done. You can even thin-slice the protein and stir-fry it as well. If you don't have the freezer space, then canned veggies are better than no veggies (although watch the ingredient list for sodium and other additions you may not want).

Best wishes!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to increase the intensity of your exercise program? This is a great article about the best ways to exercise to help with fat loss. http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1526539 The Hierarchy of Fat Loss by Alwyn Cosgrove

Exercising this way will kick-start your metabolism.

If it's hard for you to get to the grocery store often enough to keep fresh vegetables in the house, try frozen. I love to buy mixed frozen vegetables with lots of different varieties to make quick and yummy stir-fry dinners. Just add your protein and your done. You can even thin-slice the protein and stir-fry it as well. If you don't have the freezer space, then canned veggies are better than no veggies (although watch the ingredient list for sodium and other additions you may not want).

Best wishes!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    nothing is happening because there is NO SUCH THING as starvation mode
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    I found this on WW. Very interesting.

The Starvation Myth
    The idea that "not eating enough" causes the body to stop losing weight because it goes into "starvation mode" is a popular myth among dieters.
    Article By: The Weight Watchers Research Department
    Restricting calories during weight loss lowers metabolism1 because the body becomes more efficient, requiring fewer calories to perform the necessary daily functions for survival. Consequently, this can slow (but not stop) the anticipated rate of weight loss.

For example, if an individual needs 2,000 calories per day to maintain weight, reducing intake to 1,500 calories, assuming exercise stays the same, should provide a 1 pound per week weight loss (Note: 1 pound of weight is equivalent to about 3,500 calories). Furthermore, reducing to 1,000 calories should result in a weight loss of 2 pounds per week and going down to 500 calories a day should result in a weight loss of 3 pounds per week. However, if an individual actually reduces their intake to 500 calories, the weight loss would not likely be a steady 3 pounds per week because of the reduced metabolic rate. It would likely be around 2¼ to 2½ pounds. This "lower than expected" rate of weight loss is a lot different than "no" weight loss as the "starvation mode" notion proposes.
    It is unclear as to whether the relationship between reduced caloric intake and a lower metabolism follows a straight path or becomes more pronounced the greater the caloric reduction. Some studies have found no significant reduction in metabolism until the caloric restriction is quite large (e.g. 800 calories or less per day).2 Others suggest a linear relationship with small reductions in metabolism accompanying small reductions in caloric restriction, with the gap increasing as the caloric deficit is enlarged.

While there is no biologic evidence to support the "starvation mode" myth, there may be behavioral reasons why weight loss stops when calories are severely reduced. Over-restriction of calorie intake, known as high dietary restraint is linked to periods of overeating, hindering successful weight loss.3 (For more information on dietary restraint, read the Science Center article, The Skill of Flexible Restraint).

Metabolism after Weight Loss
    The good news is that after the weight-loss goal is achieved and weight has stabilized, it does not appear that the dip in metabolism is permanent. Several rigorous studies done at the University of Alabama in Birmingham showed that metabolism goes back to expected levels with sustained weight loss,4 discounting the theory that a lowered metabolism helps to explain the common phenomenon of weight regain following weight loss.

Weight Watchers Approach
    The <PointsPlus system is designed to provide a caloric intake that supports a healthy rate of weight loss, produces a minimal reduction in metabolism and avoids inducing too-high levels of dietary restraint.

This content is reviewed regularly. Last updated December 17, 2011.

^^
    yes yes and more yes!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    It is exactly this type of research that encourages gross undereating in the vulnerable segment of the population. Regardless of whether 'starvation mode' exists as we have thought it to, the simple fact remains that there is a point at which you are simply not getting enough nutrients for the body to support itself.

To the OP, you havent given us access to your diary, but from the macro details you have given us, you might want to up your protein a little, and reduce your carbs a bit accordingly.