i dont know what to do with my life

Options
any suggestions. i'm 22, and working as a secretary in a hospital. i love it, but can't do it for the rest of my life...i have no idea what i want to go to school for.

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Exotic dance. Good money, and you get to meet all kinds of interesting people.
  • jkeyah
    jkeyah Posts: 20
    Options
    Nursing? :)
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I agree...NURSING! You already know the environment! Might as well make the money. I am partial to nurses, though. My oldest is an RN and my youngest is a Med Tech in the AF
  • allofourdreams
    allofourdreams Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    any suggestions. i'm 22, and working as a secretary in a hospital. i love it, but can't do it for the rest of my life...i have no idea what i want to go to school for.

none of us know you... you really have to figure that out for yourself. what do you love doing? what could you do everyday and love... plus get paid to do it? it's all up to you.
  • veeandthree
    Options
    sounds exciting!
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Ask your mom. Moms know everything.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    You're 22, have a job, and your whole life ahead of you. I suspect you have no idea how exiting that sounds, but if I may suggest a little thought experiment..
    If you won the lottery tomorrow, and were set for life..what would you do?
    Once you figure that out, you will have discovered your passion.
    Follow that.
  • jkeyah
    Options

none of us know you... you really have to figure that out for yourself. what do you love doing? what could you do everyday and love... plus get paid to do it? it's all up to you.

This.
  • jkeyah
    Options

This.
  • dimpleschick
    dimpleschick Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am an RN. Nursing is a tough profession and the money is not as good as it should be for the amount of education we have and the amount of responsibility. That said, I love my profession. You have to love people at their worst and in times of crisis be able to help them and their families. You have to work when you are tired and hungry and leave your home problems behind.

Go to your library or read on line about nursing careers. My next piece of advice is to become an advance practice nurse. You can become a nurse practitioner, a nurse anesthetist , nurse midwife and will make additional money if you don't mind the additional responsibility and high malpractice insurance premiums. Or you can get a masters in nursing and teach others how to become nurses--excellent nurses. Young men and women do not stay in the profession as long as a veteran like myself. We need more nurses.

Good luck in whatever you chose to do. Just pick something that you love.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Jobs in healthcare are abundant, and will probably be as the boomer population ages -- not sure how that affects you where you live though.

Be wise in choosing a career. Some things take years of preparation. Research things out, and take advantage of opportunities.
  • FitDC
    FitDC Posts: 63
    Options
    How about a career in the military? Free clothing, good fitness program, see the world, nice living quarters...:flowerforyou:
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options

You need to get in touch with your passions, evaluate your skills objectively. And can the difference in what you may lack in skill be made up through training, education or experience? Once you have this, look at all the vocations there are to plug into.

See what each one that interests you requires in terms of education or experience. Talk to some people in that field.

Then, once you have some direction, set some goals, take action and stay motivated.

This is the prescription for achievement. Success is always a choice, so choose now.

All Is Possible!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Jobs in healthcare are abundant, and will probably be as the boomer population ages --

Just don't go into billing. Boringest, most unrewarding job ever. I'd avoid the back end of any healthcare system. BLAH! I can say this because that's what I do right now. I'm pretty much stuck if I want a paycheck.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I read an article that said administrative support professionals have some of the highest ratings of job satisfaction -- if you love it and it pays the bills, why can't you make a career out of it? People would be helpless without their admins!
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    i love it, but can't do it for the rest of my life....

Why not? :huh:
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    figure out what it is that you love, go to the local community college, take an assesment test.talk to people in different professions.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    work-work-demotivational-poster-1229484399.jpg
  • wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I just started going to college and taking classes toward a general A.A. degree. Now I 'm only a few away from finishing and have decided to get my Associates of Science and have figured out which direction I want to go. Take different classes and see what strikes your interest
  • KristenAnn711
    Options
    Exotic dance. Good money, and you get to meet all kinds of interesting people.

HAHA riiiight