Want to Exercise but No Time!

Options
I know this is a weird question, but I truly want to start exercising again, not for the weight loss aspect, but for how good it made me feel. The problem is, my schedule is keeping me so busy right now that I am up at 5am every day, out the door at 6am and not back home again until 6:30-7:00pm. Then I've got to cook dinner, make lunches, help my son with homework, etc. I'm in bed by 9pm from pure exhaustion. I have free time on Friday - Sunday but by then I'm so worn out from my week, I just don't have it in me to do anything.

Any suggestions? I feel like I'm totally stuck here :-(

Replies

• travisborg
    travisborg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hit the gym or go for jog at lunch time like I do!
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hit the gym or go for jog at lunch time like I do!

Agreed. I am not a morning person, and to hell with training at night!

Since I started going to the gym at lunch it's worked out great for me. Great stress relief too.
  • cuatesmom
    cuatesmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    cook and freeze dinners on the weekend so you dont have to cook dinner 3 of weeknights. use that extra time to exercise....maybe with your son? walk? play Wii fit?
  • CrystalMarie253
    Options
    I don't do gyms. I can't imagine going from work to the gym, or getting up in the morning to drive to the gym. I bought an elliptical machine and it's conveniently located at my house to use on my free time :) It does not sound like you have time to get up in the morning to work out before work like I do, but maybe you can find 30 mins or so somewhere? For me it's just easiest to have a few weights, an exercise ball, and my elliptical at my house.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I was expecting to see some college student having a rant and had my comeback all ready to fire.. but I can't use that now :P

It looks as though you really are time poor, but try to break down what you are doing, and what you may be able to seek help with. Do you have a partner who can help, or are your kids old enough to help out around the house. If my wife came home at 7, there is no way on Earth I would expect her to make dinner... she could do the dishes though ;)

Fitting in some exercise at lunchtime is great if you can. You can try to mix things up a little too. Is there a chance to get out for a walk or a jog during the day (for 30-40 mins even). Then when you get home you can do either one of those really intensive cardio workouts for 15 mins, or a quick session with some dumbells. If you do the right compound exercises you can get a decent workout in really quickly - think deadlifts straight into rows and up to shoulder press - real quick and real effective.

Some food for thought anyway - good luck!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    She might not have enough time to work out during her lunch break. If you only have half an hour a lot of that is eaten up by changing and showering. I take 90 minutes to two hour lunch breaks for my exercise but not everyone has flexible working hours.

If you want to exercise you've got to optimise somewhere so you can fit the exercise in.

Are you a single mother? If not you could convince your partner to take on making the lunches and dinner every second night so you can squeeze in the work out.

You mentioned on Friday and Weekends you have free time but you're tired: work out anyway. I don't care if it's just a 45 minute walk. Do it! You'll build up to something more. Working out despite tiredness won't hurt you, trust me.
  • mugsisme
    mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The crock pot is your best friend. Prep the food the night before. When you come home, the house smells yummy and dinner is ready. You can buy the cheap, yucky cuts of meat and the crock pot will make them tender.

Studies are showing you don't have to do 30-60 minutes of exercise at a time. If you can squeeze in 10 minutes 2 or 3 times a day, 3 days a week, you will see some improvements. (My doctor was on me about my heart, and begged me to commit to walking 10 minutes a day 3 days a week ... see where that got me??? LOL. I now try to walk every day.)

Good luck in trying to find the time. It sounds like you are super busy.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Make time. Even if you're tired, do something when you do have time. Workouts give me a lot of energy and give me a big boost to keep me going through the week.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    One of my all time favorite quotes is "someone who is busier than you is running right now". I honestly don't have the time, I MAKE the time to work out. I've noticed if I schedule how my day is going to look the night before I can easily squeeze 30 mins-1 hour in during the week and 2 hours on the weekends. And this is between work, school, and two kids. I have a dinner plan well in advance. Normally I'll pop something that takes about 30 mins in the oven and work out while it's cooking. I'll have everything perpared beforehand (ie. bought already cut) so I do minimal prep. I normally take one of my kids with me when I go for a run. Gets us both active that way.

I noticed before I started exercising on a regular basis that I, too, was exahusted on the weekends. But working out gives you energy. So I knew once I was done with that workout that I'd have energy to spare for the rest of the day and even into the next.
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    One of my all time favorite quotes is "someone who is busier than you is running right now". I honestly don't have the time, I MAKE the time to work out.

^This.

I had been telling myself I didn't have time for the past 6 years. I work 13 hour days. I rotate between dayshift and nightshift. My weekends are not always on the weekend. My job is very stressful. I'm also currently going to grad school and have family responsibilities and three children. I seldom get enough sleep and my body clock is always being screwed up by the rotating shifts.

Something clicked almost 2 months ago and I've been MAKING the time to workout about 5 hrs per week. Take advantage of your days off and squeeze in short workouts on your work days. I had to lay down the law at home and jealously guard my workout time. Sometimes this means I am on the treadmill at midnight. I've found working out regularly has given me more energy as well. There are many times I REALLY am not in the mood to workout, but I have yet to regret the decision to workout once I finish. It's about giving yourself some tough love sometimes.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    love the way there are blokes on here telling you to do it at lunchtime. You are exhausted already!
    I hear you sounds hard.
    go for something short (30 day Shred is only 20 minutes a day and gets results).
    find activity that you can do with your children in the weekends - bike riding, walking , swimming, join in on the indoor climbing frame.
    try to find some short cuts with all the evening stuff , easier lunches prepared, easier dinners - . Put your exercise over housework as a priority.
    Like the other mother in here said, you have to be super strict with your husband and children, insist that you are doing it and there needs will ahve to wait sometimes.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

is there anything you can do to change how long your days are? Are you working long hours? Have a long commute?

As others have mentioned - have you got a partner? If you're working full time there's no reason why you should be doing all the cooking too. When you do cook, do double meals... and what about healthy quick meals?

Also, exercise doesn't need to be an hour in a gym - a daily 15 min walk or a 20 min on a an exercise machine as you watch TV in enough to increase your fitness if you're currently not doing much.

Good luck with your journey.
  • 00Steph
    Options
    I have a very similar schedule to yours, and there are days I just don't feel like going to the gym. my friend told me to make a bet with myself, if I get to the gym and after 10 minutes I don't want to be there then I can just go home. Every time I make it to the gym so far I am in a better mood in the first 5 minutes or so!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Can you work some walking into your schedule - part or all of the way to or from work? With traffic at rush hours being what it is, you may find it doesn't even make your commute any longer. And it is very effective exercise - I've lost 27lbs in about three months without cutting out any of my favourite foods, but just by being mindful of my calorie intake, and walking at least a brisk half an hour most days of the week on my way home from work. Good luck!
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    As a busy professional, I often don't have enough hours in the day, particularly this time of year!

Personally I try to exercise as much as possible on the weekends when I DO have (or rather, fit in) free time

I note that Fridays to Sundays seem ok for you but you are worn out.

Well guess what?

That's something that exercise helps with! You see exercise is great at releasing all those endorphins in your body which ironically helps you relax after a decent work out.

I usually go for a decent walk on Friday evenings (if I have not worked too late), a very decent walk/jog on Saturdays and play sport on Sundays. I also try to strength train at least once over the weekend if I can.

As for during the week, how about fitting in small min workouts? I sometimes try to walk or jog 10 mins on a treadmill, 20 mins around the block or do a dozen pushups/situps during a break or simply park the car a little further from work.
  • GeneaCindy
    GeneaCindy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Remember your exercise doesn't have to be done in once session. Break it up into 3 sessions of 10 minutes each if you have to. Obvious things like parking far away from entrances to stores, etc. If I can't make it to the gym or leave the house, I walk in the house. You can do things like planks, sit ups, lunges, etc. at home in quick sets as well.

Crock pots are a busy mom's favorite tool. You can always make extra and freeze it for another meal.

Good luck.
  • julie204
    julie204 Posts: 130
    Options
    iHAVE THE SAME SORT OF DAY LIKE YOU I HAVE A 30 MIN WALK AFTER MY DINNER OR GO ON THE WII AND DO THE JUST DANCE I WALK TO TOWN TO GO FOR A COFFEE I HAVE TO MAKE MYSELF FIT IT IN EVEN IF I AM TIRED IF AT HOME AND HAVE STAIRS DO STEP UPS ON THEM JOG ON SPOT WHILE COOKING DINNER HOLD TINS OF BAKE BEANS AND DO ARM LIFTS THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS YOU CAN DO
  • 5starshelly
    5starshelly Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Jillian Micheals 30 days shreds. Everyone has 20 minutes.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I have found that a step counter really encorages me to add little bits of exercise through out the day. I park a bit further away, take the stairs instead of the elevator, and march in place while witing for somethign in the microwave.
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I was expecting to see some college student having a rant and had my comeback all ready to fire.. but I can't use that now :P

Why would a University student deserve your comeback? I am a University student who has lectures and laboratories and catch-up work 8-6 every day, then I work 4-6 hours a day. Am I just 'some [lazy] college student'?

and to the poster, I try and use my dance mat for half an hour before bed and I walk to and from the shops whenever I can. It's only 10-15 minutes return journey but it helps. Then on Monday nights I go out after work and I walk into town which is 30 minutes. It all adds up, just little changes.