Question on McD's salads

Options
2»

Replies

• lexibelk
    lexibelk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have never had a good experience with fast food salads. I often get sick after eating them and theorize it has something to do with people not washing their hands -=shudder=-.

I tried not to think about that!! Thanks! haha

But yeah, I've had nothing but bad experiences with fast food salads. Might as well get something else not so icky from there and try again the next day.
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    If I go to McDonalds for a salad, I get the bacon ranch grilled with the dressing. I think the sodium actually is closer to 1500 than 1230 mg with the dressing, the cheese and bacon. I wouldn't settle for less. Absolutely LOVE this salad. I get it if I crave it and only when I can fit it in. But this comes from someone who eats 1800 calories a day and had half a pizza last night. I figured just because I want to lose weight doesn't mean I can't have good food. I also get a McDouble and Small fry occasionally as well.
  • tpenha
    tpenha Posts: 19
    Options
    I hear what your saying, I have tried the salads there and didnt care for them. I rather make my own and package it for work.
  • SueScott5plus
    Options
    I usually get the Ceasar Salad with the grilled chicken but I bring my own dressing when I remember. It's a good salad when time is short.
  • KacieHetrick
    KacieHetrick Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I had it with half of the dressing, no croutons and didn't eat half of the bacon bits( because they were gross!) , it's the only salad I could think of on their menu and since I was going I just told the lady that was running that that would work...Should have looked up the info before hand. I won't ever do that again though! LOL The sodium is insane! I didn't even see that was how much was in there! Thank you for all of the feedback, I hardly ever eat fast food and always end up sick after I do, should have known.

Also, the carb count is very important to me (since I was advised to stay under 45 carbs per meal by my dr. but I try to stay under 100 for the entire day) I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease last year and it went undiagnosed for so long that the weight I gained (100 lbs in a year, then undiagnosed for 5 years after) also caused damage to my pancreas so until I drop some weight I'm on this low"er" carb diet. I think that I will continue this indefinitely just because I feel better when I don't eat a lot of carbs.

I appreciate everyone's feedback! Thank you all very much!
  • KacieHetrick
    Options
    So I recalculated the salad with only half the dressing 315 calories...Still feels like 800!
  • ROCKERFOREVER81
    Options
    I prepare my own salads and bring them to work for lunch: I save money and calories :) See the documentary "Super size Me" it's scary...but it is just my opinion and others opinions here in this section are respected.
  • KacieHetrick
    Options
    I usually prepare my own too, it was just a hectic morning and forgot! I brought my spinach today though! Along with my clementine and apple to cut up! So yummy! Nothing processed, no sodium, just fresh!
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    Mcdonald salad is good just make sure it's grilled chicken and ask for a low calorie dressing on it.
  • shannonewallace
    shannonewallace Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i heard a quote once that going to mc donalds for a salad is like going to a *kitten* for a hug

LOL

but in all seriousness we all have to do what we can some days when things dont go 100% how we want them, the good part is your initial choice was a salad over all of the other things on the menu that you probably would have gotten before your journey without hesitation. Then you still checked to see what the calories were and logged - so props there, and hey, now thanks to some great advice from the above posters you know for next time what you can do to make a slightly better choice!
  • ROCKERFOREVER81
    Options
    Good for you!!!!