When am I supposed to fit in FITNESS???

Options

Replies

• Mocha02
    Options
    I totally agree with ^^^^^ Make him help out!!!! You need a little "me" time for yourself. In addition to him helping out, you could also either incorporate workouts before you take a shower in the mornings, during your lunch time at work, or right after your school in the evenings. HE CAN HELP TO COOK DINNER AND PREPARE FOR TOMORROW'S LUNCH!
  • missmegs1908
    missmegs1908 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree with others - get your hubby to help out with dinner/dishes/bath time and lunch making. You should be able to fit in a workout at least 3-4 times a week during this time.

I also have to hit the gym sometimes at 5am - if this is the only time I can get a workout in, then that's what I have to do. It sucks. I'm not a morning person I do what I have to do!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    you should look into making larger meals when you cook, or cook a lot of things on the weekends when you have spare time. this can save you a lot of time during the week in both preparation time, and with less dishes to clean.

and no one says that working out needs to be an hour and a half long. some of my best runs are about 30 minutes.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Try batch cooking on the weekends. Make up a few meals in advance and freeze them so you can save time during the week.
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Does it really take you 30 minutes to prepare lunches and an hour to get ready for bed? Cut it down to 15 minutes each and you've room to work out for 30 minutes and have a quick shower.
  • jcearth
    jcearth Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You have a lot of free time on that schedule - you can do it.

7980302.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Fit in short workouts on your break or lunch while at work. If your husband is home at bath time for your son, share those duties so that you can exercise during that time a few times a week. Try to think of exercise activities to do with your son. You will be teaching him good habits while getting some exercise yourself.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Nobody ever came to me and said...
    "I have some extra time on my hands; maybe you can help me get in shape".

Stop making excuses. Either you want it or not.
    Everybody has the time when their health and fitness become a priority.

Being a wife, mother, full time employee, cook, and maid is pretty hard! Because I am all those things and I can understand where she is coming from the only free time you do get if you get any you want to take a break! I use a special k 10 min workout video in the morning before work and after dinner before dishes and that gets me at least 20 min of work out time. I try to walk during my lunch break at work, so those are some options that maybe she could utilize.
    You did it - great!
    My point here was that the issue is not a heavy schedule but an order of priorities.
    When a person makes fitness a precedence, like magic, he or she finds the time.

That's reality. I don't mean to come across as unkind, but I deal with employees all day with excuses.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    I cook a few meals on Sunday that last for the entire week. No weeknight cooking = time for workouts.
    Also, your husband should be helping with chores and your child.
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty similar lifestyle - except I also help my husband run a company and I have two kids. If I was you, I would head to bed at 9:30 - skip the hour of "getting ready for bed" and then get up at 5 and work out then. Exercise is a priority for both my husband and I, so often we workout together at home to get that time together that marriages need. Maybe you can try doing something similar?
  • kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I work full time out of the home and have 2 children (ages 3 & 4) to get ready every day. We have to leave by 7:30 so I can drop them off at preschool and I can get to work on time. I have to get up at 4:30am M-F (I don't get to bed before 11:00pm) and get my workout in before they are up. I also meal plan on the weekends. My wonderful husband helps out a lot also. He helps get the kids ready and fed in the mornings, finishes getting dinner ready (I prep it in the mornings after my workout), baths, etc.

One of my favorite quotes: If it's important to you you will find a way, if not you will find an excuse.

Good luck.
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Does it take one solid hour to "get ready for bed"? I would suggest trying to cut this time down, going to bed earlier and getting up earlier to do your workout first thing in the morning. My husband travels quite a bit, which leaves me at home with my two boys and their busy schedules. I work full time as well. I have to squeeze in my workouts. I get up at 5:15, do 30 minutes of Yoga, work out at the gym on my lunch hour, then often do another 30 minute work out video in the evenings after the kids are fed.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    get your husband to help you out so you can train for an hour?

Agreed! I also agree with the ones who said to get them involved, too, if that's how you can get your exercise in and still spend time with them. I had to cut down on the amount of time it takes to get ready in the morning: 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner or leave-in conditioner, less make-up, easier hairstyle, clothes picked out the night before. If you have space to work out near your computer, there are lots of free videos online. Look up Tabata training, that's only 4 minutes, and you can't tell me you don't have 4 minutes. :smile: You can do something longer on the weekends.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    ^ This, but it doesn't have to be an hour long, 30 minute is just fine, or try fitting some exercise in during lunch, whether you have 30 min or an hour you can get some exercise in.
  • Bride_2b
    Options
    Since you are cooking dinner, you should ask your husband to do dishes and bathe your son. This will give you enough time to workout. It's not easy, but you have to work your schedule around your workouts, not the other way around. :wink:

This is excellent advice, I may use this moving forward.
  • Bride_2b
    Options
    ^ This, and try fitting some exercise in during lunch, whether you have 30 min or an hour you can get some exercise in.

This is true. or even 3 ten minute sessions! It's not about how you get the time in, just that you do!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    There is lots of extra time in there. You have tasks scheduled for 1/2 hour and an hour that take no more than 5 or 10 minutes to complete.

Use a slow cooker. Make casseroles on the weekend. Get your husband to help out.

Do you get a lunch break at work? Go for a walk.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but you won't get sympathy from me. I work a full time job (demanding career , corporate world), have 2 boys who are active in sports and other school activities, I travel for work frequently, my husband also travels for work, I serve on numerous boards, and still find the time. It's all about time management and prioritizing. everything else is excuses. Also, diet is the biggest part of getting healthy and losing weight. I do hit the gym 5-6 days a week for 60-90 minutes each day. It can be as early as 4 am or as late as 11pm but I do fit it in. It all depends on how bad you want it. If you really want it, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find EVERY excuse.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    why don't you just make family time "active time" especially on the weekends. Go for walks together, play outside. It will be more enjoyable and be great family bonding.
  • drbaska
    drbaska Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    All great suggestions, so I won't repeat. I would recommend the 10 Minute Trainer by Tony Horton (the P90X guru). You could do it in the AM when you get up and you could do another one in the evening, or even one on your lunch break. The program is broken up into very effective 10 minute workouts - great results!

If you need help on getting hooke up, just let me know. :smile: