When am I supposed to fit in FITNESS???

Options

Replies

• carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Cook big crock pot meals so that you can eat on them more than once. Also, use your time with your husband and son to all work out together. Either go for a family walk, or play some active games (like Wii or something?).
  • AWPollard
    Options
    Try to fit your kids into your exercise routine and time manage your meals. I cook once a week on Sunday. I cook 2 complete meals (2 meats, 2or3 veggies, 1 starch). It will last until Friday night. Saturday we have something easy like grill hot dogs, tacos, Pizza. Sunday I start cooking for the week again. This gives me 30 extra min in the evening to do exercise with my 3 year old son. We play Wii or go to the park for a family walk.
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    get your husband to help you out so you can train for an hour?

what he said, it has to be a team effort..
  • spookiewon
    spookiewon Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/weightloss/2009-01-21-fidget-activity_N.htm

Dr. James Levine of the Mayo Clinic says that NEAT, or Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis is far more important to weight loss than traditional workouts. He suggests "activities such as walking to lunch, pacing while on the phone, cleaning the house, cooking, climbing stairs, standing while you talk to a friend, folding laundry." These are all "fitness activities."
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    There is no time on your schedule. So you won't be able to exercise until your fitness makes your priority list. Is it worth more than dishes? Ok, so the dishes pile up. You could do them every other day. It gets surprisingly easy to live with. Shorter shower, shave every other day? It's winter. If your hubby minds he could do some dishes or give your son a bath. :) Homemade dinner? How about takeout sushi a night or two a week? Or (gasp) Leftover Night. Maybe make something Sunday and nibble from it for the whole week. And seriously, I work with the elderly every day and not one of them has ever said they wished they had done more housecleaning. So think about it. Don't stress though, you'll do this when you are ready.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

^This, all it takes is a 1/2 to fit in a fitness DVD. Have your husband help out. While he's giving your son a bath you can be getting a work out in!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, ask your husband to maybe bathe your son then you can do a workout video or go for a run.

And tell him that it's not just for you, it's for your family, you want to be healthier for all of them.
    Also I find exercise cuts down on my stress and creates better focus.

I explained this to my husband (who did NOTHING around the house before) and now he doesn't do one specific thing but he'll do dishes one day, or the next day he'll separate the laundry for me so I don't have to do it and I can go throw on the Jillian Michaels DVD or go for a run.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I agree that its busy times especially if you are doing everything in the household. Re-prioritizing what is important is the answer and communicating that with your husband. If it's important to you it will become important to the family. Make time in your schedule to fit in a 30 min workout (it's a start) and tell your family that is your designated workout time (uninterrupted). Since you are just starting I would make this time uninterrupted and commit to it. Working out w/ your family is not practical to begin with . . . you have to start, commit, and then involve the family.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Most of what I would suggest has been said, body weight or Isometric exercises are great. Not knowing what your employment is park in a further spot at work and school take the stairs to go to the batroom or photocopier on another floor. You do have a full schedule and my advise would be look at ways to do just a few minutes multiple times during your waking hours.
  • spookiewon
    spookiewon Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Try to fit your kids into your exercise routine and time manage your meals. I cook once a week on Sunday. I cook 2 complete meals (2 meats, 2or3 veggies, 1 starch). It will last until Friday night. Saturday we have something easy like grill hot dogs, tacos, Pizza. Sunday I start cooking for the week again. This gives me 30 extra min in the evening to do exercise with my 3 year old son. We play Wii or go to the park for a family walk.

Playing in the park with the kids! ANother "fitness activity!"
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    As was said previously - your day starts an hour later on m,w,f.
    Use that built in time to get a good workout in, and on tues, thurs try to do some pre-planning so u can get in a short effective workout sometime in the evening.

As mom of 5 who works full time I can tell u : it can be done if u want it! Most days I am at the gym or on the track by 5:15am.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, ripped in 30, yoga meltdown, 6week 6pack, killer buns & thighs and shred & shed all under 30mins long.
    Metabolism boost contains 6 circuits so you coud do 3 one night and 3 the next.

And wtf is your husband doin? LoL

You don't even need a full hour
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

YUP. It pisses me off to know guys who dink around while the wife is doing everything.
    Tell him you deserve your time, even if it's half an hour 3x a week.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Your husband needs to pitch in.
    Crockpot meals.
    When the weather is nice, walk for half your lunch break.
    Look for mommy and me workout videos. Your son will love it.
    Just dance. Turn up the music and dance with your son and husband.
  • FitnessElle
    Options
    No excuses. Just results.
  • pell53
    pell53 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The great thing about getting fit is that 80% of it is nutrition (if not more). If you get your eating under control you'll drop so much weight you won't believe it. Even without exercise. You can do it!
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Wow-so you don't ever watch TV or anything like that? How long do you usually spend on the computer? What do you do for work. I would ask for hubs help around the house. Make freezer meals so it is ready to go for you. Use the crock pot and make lunches while you do dinner. There are times when I just get my step out and do steps while I watch a program. There are so many things you can fit in.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I have a busy schedule. The fact is that you have to make it a priority. Talk to your family. Modify your schedule for two or three times a week.

Do it while the kid is asleep.

Do it while dinner is in a slowcooker or oven.

Do it while your kid is watching TV.

Cook a crap load of food for the week.

And start logging your food! If you don't exercise than you don't eat into your exercise calories!
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Try stealing a few minutes to do some exercises throughout the day. For instance, when you wake up, do 2 or 3 sun salutations. Right after lunch, do a brisk walk back and forth down a hall or up and down stairs before you go back to work. While you're making dinner, steal some squats and/or jumping jacks. Dance after dinner, your son will have fun doing that with you. Strategize ways to work in little bursts of exercise. Aim for 5-10 minutes as many times a day as you can, then add them to track them. Anytime you park anywhere, park as far as you can and sprint or walk briskly to your destination. My belly dance teacher says she shimmies in line at the grocery store... you don't have to shake your but, but just move your knees lightly back and forth.
    Here's an article about how good bursts of exercise is for you:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33484535/ns/health-fitness/t/get-fit-faster-short-burst-training/#.Tu-UFNTOzfg
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    the other day i did 20 push ups every half hour for 4 hours. no one says you can't do something like this either.