Size 8-9 in pants, but muffin top says otherwise!!

Options

Replies

• sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options

Wear clothes that fit you and keep working at it via diet and exercise. You will be a real size 8 in no time!

This! You look fatter when you squeeze. Don't worry about the number. Find a pant that looks good on you. I am anywhere from a 10-14, depending on the brand.
  • ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    My problem is... is a 10 or 9 doesn't fit me in the butt or legs and always falls off so I am totally showing crack every chance I get! It isn't cute....

I have this problem right now, solution, longer shirts until you can properly fit into the next size down.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Remember, you are unique, and clothes are made to fit a mannequin.

I like that

Me too!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Maybe try different cuts and different brands? Different brands fit me differently, even if they are the same style of jean (such as skinny jeans). Also, if you are trying to conceal a "muffin top", watch where your jeans are hitting your hips. Some hip-hugger styles make it way more obvious. Before I lost mine, I found that wearing jeans that came just below my navel hid it the most. Keep working at it- with hard work it will shrink! It just takes time!
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I am technically at a size 14 right now. I CAN squeeze my but in (and button) a 7. Doesnt mean I would leave the house in them though! Just wear the bigger size in more slimming cuts with a belt until the smaller size fits with no muffin top.
  • missietbee
    missietbee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think it's an issue for many people - I have this problem also - so I really at times don't know what size I am - I see points of not being that size because it gives me muffin top but I also see the point that you are that size everywhere except the waist and stomach area. I have pants that are saggy around the butt and pelvic area that give me muffin top - so those pants just get's baggier shirts. I agree with possible half sizes or the skinnier jeans - also differnt brands fit differnetly so I would try a store with some variety and see what brand fits you the best in all areas
  • loved11
    loved11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am currently a 2/3 but cant find anything that fits. I have a pair of jeans from rue 21 a teeny bopper store. i agree with heatherbelle, shop juniors, they are cut different and if you can find a pair that isnt too wild you might get lucky, they tend to have the short/average/long which all fit different and half sizes, try on lots of different kind of sizes and styles, lycra are usually bigger in waist and bootcut fit different than skinny. I like the boyfriend cut but cant find it here in my little cow poke town. i am hoping the belly will be the last to go. not sure if it will ever be the same after all the kids.
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has this problem as they are losing weight. I am having the problem as well. Everything is thinning out nicely except for my stomach (as usual). I feel like my stomach looks bigger than it really was before i started losing weight. I checked measurements and my stomach has actually gotten smaller; just not as much as the rest of my body. It is starting to look more like a rounded prego belly than just fat.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people are saying that doesn't really mean you're an 8 - but I ALSO get that it's annoying to wear a 10 that is too baggy EVERYWHERE else. Try different stores that offer different cuts of jeans, and try 8s and 10s. Gap seems to have a lot of varied cuts! I believe Old Navy does as well. I get that it doesn't matter whether you're wearing an 8 or 10 - it's the fact that you don't want them to be too big everywhere else and look sloppy!

Don't forget to check Nordstrom Rack, TJ Maxx and Marshalls!

You just need different cuts! I'd also shy away from juniors - they often tend to be cut to have smaller tummys as they go up close to the waist!
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    trying doing oblique excerices to lose the muffin top. I got it too after having 2 kids.. Was a 6, 8 in high school . but now in a 12 after kids/ :(
    after the kids I coudln't find any jeans that fit right. BUt after I started losing weight and toniing up jeans were fitting a little better. ELLE jeans from KOHLS fit me the best..
    p.s get a thick belt and wear it around the muffin part to squeeze it in a little. YOur shirts will look better.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    It means you are not currently a size 8! I can squeeze myself into a size 6 but it looks like I am stuffing 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag!

Wear clothes that fit you and keep working at it via diet and exercise. You will be a real size 8 in no time!

LMAO Love this!
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Also, as a girl who's always had a small waist but big hips/thighs, tailoring is a great solution for making stuff fit! I often have to buy a size larger for my hips, and then the waist is HUGE on me. Having it taken it extends the life of my pants for months! So take those baggy 10's and see if you can't get some inches taken off of them. WAY cheaper than buying new pants!
  • iamthevieve
    Options
    I still get muffin top from pants that fall off, so it's not a size issue for me. I just have a "mommy pooch."
  • Solomonre0
    Solomonre0 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My problem is... is a 10 or 9 doesn't fit me in the butt or legs and always falls off so I am totally showing crack every chance I get! It isn't cute....

Gotta go make friends wit your local seamstress hun.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, am a size 10 (UK) in the bottom and legs, and a size 12 in the belly. But that is because women put rolls around the waist as we get older. I'm at my goal now, but am going to try to lose another 3 kgs to see if it makes a difference to the belly.

GG
  • minni2906
    Options
    If you have a muffin top, you're not an 8. Muffin tops come from stuffing yourself into pants that are simply too small.

Try looking at other cuts and brands in the right size. In my experience, no two pair of jeans are the same.

Not 100% true. Muffin tops are not from "stuffing yourself into pants that are simply too small". They're from jeans that are meant to be worn lower, and therefore don't cover the "fluff" around your belly, which then sticks out causing a muffin top. Unless you're comfortable in grandma jeans that fit right at your belly button(which I think cut the circulation off to my lower half when I sit!!!), you're going to have a muffin top until you tighten your abs.
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If you have a muffin top, you're not an 8. Muffin tops come from stuffing yourself into pants that are simply too small.

Try looking at other cuts and brands in the right size. In my experience, no two pair of jeans are the same.

If that's true I shouldn't have one :( I never stuffed myself into small pants as a teenager.. and I have one I can't get rid of...

Just saying that's not exactly how you get them, it's a "how your built" thing.

EDIT: I reread what you said, stuffing yourself in jeans causes the top to pop out.. well same thing. I don't wear to small jeans and still see it... it's not going to go away until I tone it up. And yeah I agree it's from not wearing "granny jeans" when I admit I have been doing to hide it more, but not all jeans are made that way!
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    It means you are not currently a size 8! I can squeeze myself into a size 6 but it looks like I am stuffing 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag!

Listen to this person....Couldn't have said it better :)
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You might need to try a different cut of pants. A lot of brands are going towards a low rise style and those aren't always flattering for every body shape; same as a mid rise might not be flattering on someone with a different figure. You need to go into a store that sells a variety of cuts and ask for help. Don't look at the number on the tag, go with what fits you. If you're on a budget, go to Target... they do A LOT of different cuts and try on a variety of them and in different sizes -- you're bound to find something.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Try a 9 or 10 skinny pant. They are often more generous in the waist, but look like a normal pant in the hips and legs if your tummy is the problem.

or try different brands. Clothes sizing is very erratic varying immensely from one manufacturer to another - keep trying til you find something which fits.