FRAME SIZE DOES MATTER!

Options
2»

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I found this website, which has gender and asks you to measure your wrist rather than if your fingers touch. I can touch my fingers around my wrist even though my wrist is 7" making me a large frame. I just have man hands lol

http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bodyFrame.php

Yep! I have very long fingers and easily can circle my wrist. However, when actually measured, my wrist is 7" to 7 and 1/8". So, if I go by the fingers I am medium framed (and they actually slightly overlap), but if I go by measurement I am large framed.

I think I will go with the actual measurements since that reduces the variable of finger length...
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Come, now. This is just silly. Wrist circumference?!?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I found this website that tells you how you can tell if you have a small, medium, or large frame. This way you know for sure how much you should weigh. I found out I am a small frame, and being 5'4, I can weight between 120-132 lbs, and my goal is 120 so I'm right on track!
    use this link so you know if you are in a healthy weight range! It does not ask if you are male or female however

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html

I think male/female matters more than frame size when trying to judge a healthy weight.
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    I found it comforting. My fingers touch easily but don't overlap, so I put in medium frame. It said my ideal weight range is 130-143, and I'm at 145 right now...so it made me feel better about where I am now (which is where I've been stuck for months).
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8.5 with a small frame, but according to calculators my lowest "healthy" weight would be 110. I would look skeletal at 110.

Don't get too caught up in numbers.
  • mamamia410
    Options
    Neat! 160-172 for me, that's where I'm headed, I'd be happy anywhere near that range I'm sure :)
  • TahliS
    TahliS Posts: 52
    Options
    At the risk of sounding silly.. what is an elbow breadth?
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    this calculator told me i'm 20 pounds underweight.. i don't think that's right.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Um... anything that would indicate that any of these calculators are reputable, folks?

Before you are traumatized by a calculator that a random site built, do you homework with reputable sources of information.

:noway:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I think this is way off (unless it's for men).

My frame is small
    I'm 5'9" and 135
    It told me I should be between 150-165lbs!
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    This is hooey. According to this I'm underweight. Time to deactivate! WOOT!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I like things like this because I'm always curious what it will say. I never pay attention to it though. When I was at their lowest suggested weight most people still though I was overweight by at least 20 lbs. :tongue:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    ehh..sometimes it does. Sometimes not.
    Using a mirror works well. :smile:

http://www.ajcn.org/content/75/6/1012.long
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    This thing is nuts--even more harsh than the BMI chart. I think all of these are pretty lame b/c they don't take into account fat vs. lean muscle mass. I'm 5'0" and medium frame--and this chart says 106 was healthy. My lowest weight ever was 108 and I looked sickly, I was a 00 and did not look good at all!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Wrist method would never work for me. I gain fat around my wrist when I get fat. Also, some people have thick wrists and slender hips, or they have particularly short/ long fingers which would skew the results...
  • PoochPottery
    Options

I like this one! Seems more accurate.