The magic number

Options
How can 1200 calories be the magic number to maintain life for a 5 foot 1 inch woman and a 6foot 1 inch man? If calorific intake is different because of height and sex, then this 1200 limit must be quite arbitrary especially the smaller we are. I am that 5 foot 1 inch woman. I may be wrong but th eway I see it, because of the "never cross the line to go lower than 1200" rule my daily deficit is lower than other people's and so I am at a disadvantage when it comes to losing weight. Either I incur the wrath of the 1200 police or I crawl down the scale. So should one never set a limit lower than 1200?

Replies

• ceejay3101
    ceejay3101 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Have you done a BMR? this will tell you the amount of calories you burn if you just slept all day, then study your life style eg sedentary or busy this will tell you what you realistically can eat in a day without gaining weight, you then need to take into consideration your exercise and give yourself a deficit for actually losing, e.g 200 less calories per day than what the amount comes to, I think 1200 is low and is what I set myself when not working, now I am back working I am upping it to 1400
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am 5 foot even and MFP gave me 1200. I won't say it's a "magic" number, but it gives me enough room to get the important stuff in and a treat each day. I hit 1200 within plus/minus a few calories or so consistently, and a couple times a month I've spiked up for special occasions here and there. I don't exercise a huge amount and I have been losing. I started out at about 177.5 pounds and have lost 22.5 in 3 1/2 months.

I've done so well I dialed up to "maintenance" calories for Christmas week to take a loss break, shake up the metabolism and enjoy the holidays!

So, 1200 works for me for now. I didn't think it would, but it did. You gotta find what works for you though. If you've hit a plateau or something it's time to change things up. There's lots of ways to mix up the bag without going under 1200 consistently. Do 800 one day and 1300 the next or some such. Focus on a weekly average of 1200 rather than hitting the same number every day. And I'm not trying to be the 1200 Police or anything like that.

It looks like we started around the same time I think (September 2011), and we've lost the same amount of weight too. So what's the deal? Plateau? Don't feel you're losing fast enough or something?
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    There is no deal. I was just wondering. I am quite happy with 1200 in general and wouldn't want to go much lower; just feel it is quite arbitrary.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    It is not a magic number. It is a guideline. There are exceptions to everything, and there would be a difference between a tall man and short woman. However, most people can lose weight eating more than 1200 calories.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Your assuming everyone believes 1200 is somehow a guidline, which it isn't, it's just internet speak and a safe haven for people trying to eat as little as possible without criticism.:devil: They also believe you don't have to eat back your exercise calories. :explode: