Binge Drinking

Options
Binge drinking is probably the main reason why my weight is at a stand still. Is anyone else going through this? I created a group about it and would be cool to get support from others.

Replies

• ajball90
    ajball90 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    yep, me too
  • ajball90
    ajball90 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    yep, me too
  • m1shootr
    m1shootr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes, that has been the major obstacle in my weight loss quest. Considering the negative aspects of alcohol consumption towards fat burning I have drastically curtailed my drinking. Being a fairly heavy drinker my entire life it is not an easy task. But, I figure if I was able to quit smoking after 28 years I should be able to curtail drinking for several months. My only advice is "one day at a time". Keep your goals in mind when temptation raises its ugly head.
  • unicornassassin
    unicornassassin Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Where's the group?
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    invited
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    i find this the hardest thing ever! and then loads of alcohol leads to crappy food..ughhh
  • aimsterct
    aimsterct Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I "binge drink", unless I have such a problem that I don't see my consumption as binge drinking. But I do have a drink every day (usually wine) and often on the weekends I'll have more. For example this weekend I had four glasses of wine at a party. Didn't feel like that was a binge but maybe it is. Either way I agree that it definitely interferes with my weight journey....I'm sure I would be closer to my goal now than if I didn't drink. So I'm interested in an invite to the group.

That being said, I've lost weight before and this time I truly am trying to make this a lifestyle change. I'm living life, and that means sometimes I'll have four glasses of wine. My problem last time was that I cut out all of that stuff and as soon as I hit goal (and I mean literally the week I hit it) I started gaining back from allowing all of those forbidden items back onto my plate (or glass as the case may be). So I'm not willing to cut out the booze...I'm just trying to make it fit.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Just stop drinking altogether - no alcohol at all - NONE!
    And if you find that you are unable, maybe you're an alcoholic and should join AA or something.

I used to drink much - loved getting drunk! When I decided to get fit, drinking was no longer in the cards. Now I have my glass of vino in the evening, and that's it.

Again, just stop; it's that simple unless you are an alcoholic, then get help for yourself.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I dont drink at all :) I am only a young guy, people learn to accept it :)
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I definitely know how you feel, this time of year is particularly hard. I would be interested to join your group.
  • onefourone
    Options
    binge drinking.. when do we start?
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Having been a heavy drinker myself (bartending tends to do that to people), I've found that I simply can't go out as much. It definitely helps my wallet as well as my waistline! However, when I do go out and go a little crazy, I try to stick to vodka and soda, alternate that with water, then when the cab pours me home, I keep healthier versions of my favorite munchies that I can heat up and eat for a much smaller calorie amount.

Oh, and drink water before bed, too! That way you don't make crappy hangover choices.
  • sara709
    sara709 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i find this the hardest thing ever! and then loads of alcohol leads to crappy food..ughhh

Agreed! And sooo much more of it than I'd normally eat.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    yes - i would like an invite to the group please!!

i am really good during the week and then at the weekend - friday and saturday night i consume too much wine and then start eating cheese and biscuits..............grrrr! self control where are you?
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I gave up alcohol since it's just not worth the calories to me (read: I am a crier.) I tend to DD or at least make sure everyone gets home in one piece, haha.
  • jassiev
    Options
    AGREED!! That is actually my biggest problem...possibly my only problem actually because if and when I drink...I can't stop, so I end up drinking between 10-20 beers (or more even) & then I also don't sleep. I stay up all night, might get a few hours sleep in the morning, then eat whatever I'm craving because I seem to have no willpower when this happens...& then I start drinking again to get over that first hangover!! This is a typical weekend for me...& for the guy who posted "just stop drinking entirely" that is not a realistic option for a lot of us (& it's a bit frustrating when people say that cause we need to make long-term lifestyle changes, not sacrifices that we will feel deprived by). It's part of our social networks & we enjoy it! We just have to find a way to control it better & control what we do after we drink, better. I'm focusing on slowly cutting down on the number of drinks I consume, & how many days I go out. Watching my calories on here is a big help I think. We'll see how it goes I guess!

So where is this "group"?? :)

Jas
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I've given up drinking but I haven't had any alcohol since the staff Christmas party. I don't drink that often anyway. Sometimes I'll have one beer at Friday arvo drinks and every now and then I'll 'get hammered' if a bunch of people I know are doing the same.

But right now I'm focused on losing weight and building muscle. Every time the opportunity to drink arises I don't want to because it'll put me off track for the rest of the week. It's not like I've consciously given up alcohol right now if you invited me to have drink chances are I'd say no.
  • kathas0trophal
    kathas0trophal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    would be nice if you could invite me too. My weight stands still for about 1 month because of it. This week i managed not to drink at all but do not know if i can trough holidays
  • Noshirton11
    Options
    Yep. That's me for the last 10 years, even if I do good during the week, I drink 15 beers on saturday/saturday night, and I feel off for the next 3 days etc. and eat bad.

I would like to be part of the binge drinking group also.
  • Jen_ht
    Jen_ht Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to hear people are in the same boat as me - I have work culture where it is the norm to go out for a drink with your boss or peers. It is considered unsocial if you don't.

I don't binge drink anymore - not like when I was a student but I do I enjoy a glass of wine a night usually to help me unwind and me and my boyfriend often drink a bottle of wine of two at the weekend (he doesn't diet as he is a chef and likes the good stuff!) It would be nice to get used to not having a glass of wine with every single evening meal though - it does concern me slightly that I don't very often go without.