Does water intake affect weight loss?

Options
May sound like a silly question, but I'm genuinely curious. I drink between 50-80 oz./day, sometimes more. I lost 1.4 lbs. last week and only .4 this week, but I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the fact that I wasn't as diligent as I should've been recently with drinking water. The first week, I drank and drank and drank the water. Last week I kinda slipped and caught myself only wanting to drink if I was thirsty. Water drinking comes very easy for me since it's all I've ever drank. (I don't drink any pop, tea, juice, and milk only with cereal or cooking).

I guess the big question is: Do you find that you lose more when you drink lots of water?

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    water certainly can help with weight loss, it keeps you feeling fuller so you don't overeat, it can help flush out water retention caused by sodium, and I notice I just feel better when I drink it so I am more apt to workout etc.

I definitely think it can affect your weight loss.......but no need to overdo it!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Yes I have definitley found if I drink lots of water 10-14 glasses a day I lose.
  • thebigbige
    thebigbige Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yeah it does it works with how much salt you consume a day as well.
  • relledge
    Options
    For sure!! Consuming the correct amount of water or more per day will keep you from retaining sodium...if you are working out it is very important to drink water to help flush through all of the proteins your body breaks down after a workout. When you lift weights you have muscle breakdown drinking water helps to get rid of all of that...also drinking the correct amount of water can keep you from bloating. Also if you are a caffenine drinker you should always replace what you drink. For example if you drink a 20 oz soda you should drink an additional 20 oz of water. This is what I was always told because caffeine dehydrates you.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Last week I kinda slipped and caught myself only wanting to drink if I was thirsty.
    Isn't that kind of the whole point of having a thirst drive?
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    your water intake is extremely important to weight loss-rule of thumb-drink half your body weight in water. If you weigh 100 lbs 50 oz water should be minimum.
  • ilikeher
    Options
    This is something that is really difficult for me. It is a chore for me to drink water and there are days that I dont have a single glass. The only things I do drink regularly are coffee and alcohol. I know that I need to work on it especially because I have been working out a lot and being dehydrated has made me really light-headed (I even passed out at the gym that week). I have been making sure that I drink at least 4 glasses a day since then but it is really difficult for me. Is there anything that anyone would suggest I add to water to make it more appealing that doesn't have any chemicals or a ton of sugar in it?
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Well water itself is a chemical ;-)

Apparently or like or lemon pieces are good. I had the same issues with water. I just forced myself to drink it. Now if I don't have it I feel crap. Being properly hydrated is fantastic! (I still have times five months later I have to force it)

I don't know if the science supports it but personally it's made a huge difference for me.
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    While its probably a good idea to drink water throughout the day when you're hungry so you can be sure you not actually just thirsty, there aren't any health benefits to forcing yourself to drink extra water when you aren't thirsty.

You should read this:
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't always a straight line. Even if you are doing the same thing from week to week. Your body is a highly complex system and it is not uncommon to lose, then stay the same (often when your body is shrinking) then lose again. Water helps, but don't get too hung up by a down week. If you are honest and keep up the effort, it will come off.
  • pjbercot
    pjbercot Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Along with helping a person to feel full. You body burns calories by breaking down the water that puts no calories into your body. This is especially true when drinking cold water since your body needs to bring the water closer to body temp in order to break it down. I carry a 32 oz nalgene bottle with me everywhere. on bottle is four cups of water!
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    While its probably a good idea to drink water throughout the day when you're hungry so you can be sure you not actually just thirsty, there aren't any health benefits to forcing yourself to drink extra water when you aren't thirsty.

You should read this:

great article, but I pulled this quote ...
    he reports finding no scientific evidence supporting the notion that <b>healthy</b> individuals need to consume large quantities of water.

he references <b>healthy</b> ... how about overweight/obese people? big difference.
  • Agito
    Agito Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I seemed to lose more when I was drinking ice water, but I'm not really sure. Was your sleep any different? I know getting more sleep (at least 8 hours) helps with weight loss.
  • JenniferLynWhat
    Options
    Last week I kinda slipped and caught myself only wanting to drink if I was thirsty.
    Isn't that kind of the whole point of having a thirst drive?

Actually, by the time you feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Yes - a big yes!
    It not only helps with digestion and recovery but water retention.
    Further, it increases metabolism in that your body must process water at zero calories, so that itself is a burn.

It's good all the way around.
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    yes
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Further, it increases metabolism in that your body must process water at zero calories, so that itself is a burn.
    I'd be interested to see a link to a peer reviewed study providing evidence for this apparently spurious claim.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to see a link to a peer reviewed study providing evidence for this apparently spurious claim.
    You've heard it before, but drink those 8 8-ounce glasses of water every day. The energy burning process of metabolism needs water to work effectively.

YOU research that and prove it wrong - :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And here is something to help you learn
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/30240-drinking-water-increase-metabolism/

Good luck!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

You should read this:

great article, but I pulled this quote ...
    he reports finding no scientific evidence supporting the notion that <b>healthy</b> individuals need to consume large quantities of water.

he references <b>healthy</b> ... how about overweight/obese people? big difference.

Idon't think he wrote "healthy" in reference to weight. It's probably in reference to people having kidney problems or conditions that require a higher water intake.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't know how it affect my weight loss, but I simply can't digest food properly without enough water. I tend to have difficulty in the bathroom if I haven't drank enough water.