A woman’s figure tops her weight any day

As a personal trainer I frequently tell my female clients don't worry so much about your weight, that will take care of it self by doing the right things. What's more important is inches lost and how your figure is changing.

A woman’s figure tops her weight any day......

Marilyn Monroe
Marilyn Monroe owned the hourglass figure in the '60s and has made it the universal symbol of femininity and sexuality. She had an incredible body ratio of 36-23-35. (Even Dolly Parton would be proud!) At 5 feet, 5 inches tall, Marilyn’s size 8 figure (not size 16, contrary to popular belief), made her the original curvaceous American icon.

Cindy Crawford
Waif-like figures were out again in the late '80s when Cindy Crawford hit the modeling scene. One of the first true supermodels, Crawford stands tall and toned at 5' 10" with a healthy build, quite the contrary from today’s stick-thin runway model. Joking about the world’s obsession with her enduring looks, she told People magazine in 1993, “Even I don't look like Cindy Crawford in the morning.”

Audrey Hepburn
Contrary to Monroe’s sex appeal, Hepburn exuded elegance and sophistication in her dress and demeanor—a classic beauty. Behind the large sunglasses and little black dress was a 5’6’’ woman with a tiny frame (34-20-34). She even said, “I think sex is overrated. I don't have sex appeal and I know it. As a matter of fact, I think I'm rather funny looking.”

Beyonce
Ms. Bootylicious herself is today’s curvaceous diva. Sasha Fierce represents the hourglass ladies with a shapely body ratio of 33-26-42, and she’s proud of it (hence her "Bootylicious" anthem). She told Britain’s Daily Mail, "I feel best when I'm not really thin and not really heavy—when I'm still curvy. I really believe that everyone is supposed to be different, and whatever is a natural weight for you is usually what looks best."

Jackie O
American royalty Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis was a '60s trendsetter with her signature Chanel suits and pillbox hats. She had the ideal body for high fashion at that time: At 5’7’’ and 120 to 130 pounds, she was a muse for designers. Mattel even created a Jackie O-inspired line of clothing for Barbie, making it clear that everyone wanted to look like Jackie O.

Michelle Obama
Whatever adorns the first lady’s statuesque figure makes headline news. Even after Women’s Wear Daily's attempt to find out her measurements, we’re still unsure. Whether in Jason Wu or J. Crew, Mrs. O is 5 feet 9 inches tall, appears to be a size 8, and looks fabulous.

Madonna
Even when she exploded onto the music scene in the '80s, the Material Girl had a small frame. It’s only lately that Madge has been showing off her fatless figure and sinewy arms. Some say scary, others say impressive. Her trainer Tracy Anderson defends the pop queen by saying that she’s an athlete and works out like one. While the body-builder look may not be in quite yet, will this be the new standard for women to come?

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I'm surprised Ms. Obama is only 5'9". I thought she was taller. I think she looks taller than I do.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    This is a fabulous topic. Thanks for putting this up. It keeps things in perspective. :}
  • hiyoli
    hiyoli Posts: 13
    excellent post, and very true! in gaining muscle, i've "gained" a few lbs, but my body is actually smaller, and my figure looks better than it did 3 lbs ago.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    <
    Loves her curves
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    I love this post! :flowerforyou:
  • Crystal_R84
    Crystal_R84 Posts: 88 Member
    this made me smile =-)

I am 5'5 with an hour glass shape and couldn't lose my curves if I tried! So I totally love curves on a woman! So does my husband =-)

Sticking up for the tiny ripped, toned woman (all compliments)...I think thats sexy too I just can't idolize that because like I said I would have to shave my hips bones off to be tiny and shredded! =-)

Woman in general are just fabulous creatures!!! God Bless!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    This is just fabulous...and what I want. I could care less how much I end up weighing. I want that figure!
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,340 Member
    I love this!!!!!!!!!! made my day! I have changed more than the 9 lbs I have lost!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    I'm surprised Ms. Obama is only 5'9". I thought she was taller. I think she looks taller than I do.
    That's because she's 5' 11", according to an interview with her: http://www.cntraveler.com/celebrity/2010/05/Mrs-Obama-s-Washington
    She's completely down to earth, utterly commanding. Stepping off the rug onto the famous red oak floors to take her assigned place on the parquet, she glides.

And tall! Monument tall -- an inch under six feet.
  • Bumpy Bump.
  • jcrafton615
    jcrafton615 Posts: 4 Member
    Great topic! My goal is actually the weight I was in high school, which hasn't been that long ago. I felt really good at that weight. I'm closing in on it, but clothes fit me so much differently. I'm already in smaller clothes than I was 7 short years ago, but I still have a bit of a belly and jiggly legs to work on. I would just love to feel gorgeous in anything that I wear, which is why I'm keeping up the good work. The only issue I have is with the BMI stuff. The BMI chart says that I'll only be at normal weight when I'm lower than my goal weight, and that right now, I'm overweight, close to obese. I don't feel obese. Are there any newer tools for calculating something based on frame, measurements, etc.?
  • M77308
    M77308 Posts: 183
    Amen!! Women need to stop worrying about the number on the scale... It's about being comfortable in your own skin and feeling healthy and sexy!!!

Favorite post of the year! :smile:
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    thanks for reminding me to ditch the scale. i have only lost 2 lbs since restarting so really frustrating but if you look at my pics there is a much bigger difference!
  • Adore curves! Skin & Bones look is really not attractive to me. :noway: Without hips & chest & booty... looks like a little 12 year old. So Ladies, embrace your curves! Being healthy is ideal, not a number on a scale!

On a side note, doctors tell my wife that at 5'2" & her small frame, that she should weigh no more than 120 pounds. Personally, I think that when she is around 150 or so is when she is at her best! (we both have quite a bit to loose, we WILL get there!) I'm 6'2" & love my "Little" wife. :love:
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    thanks for reminding me to ditch the scale. i have only lost 2 lbs since restarting so really frustrating but if you look at my pics there is a much bigger difference!
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Great topic and information, but sorry not to sound nitpicky, but I am a HUGE HUGE HUGE vintage enthusiast and trying to fit in vintage clothing is a HUGE motivator for my weight loss....Ms. Monroe was a vintage 16 a modern size 8. Trust me on this I buy reproduction clothes that follow vintage sizing....and by modern standards I'm a 16 by vintage standards I'm ginormous. They liked their women curvy, but they also used TONS of shapewear to get that perfect hourglass figure. Marilyn did work out and I actually have that pic as inspiration. Regardless skinny, curvy, whatever your body size...I say we all concentrate on being the most fit and active we can be. That in the long run will provide us with our most ideal body size.
  • I like Madonna's body personally.
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Thank you for this!! I needed to hear it!!! :flowerforyou:
  • I totally agree!!! Thanks for posting this topic! Hope many women see it!! Love it again!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    As long as their blood, urine and BF work are okay, their body image is a function of preference.