Christmas dinner made from a box...

Options
I will be having christmas dinner at the in-laws and, to say the least, they are not a cooking, healthy food family.
I'm 110% positive that this will be whats for dinner:
-Pre-cooked/pre seasoned butterball turkey that was thrown into the crock pot for a couple hours.
-Stove top stuffing
-minimal veggies (I'm talking, like quarter cup per person)
-pillsbury flaky rolls
-betty crocker boxed mashed potatoes

So... what the hell do I do with a dinner like that??

Replies

• hbmcracer
    hbmcracer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    say you're not really hungry and eat the turkey and veggies.
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Bring a side dish or two...that's what I do. :)
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Put things in perspective.
    Be thankkful you have family to spend Chistmas with.
    When people offer you their hospitality don't judge.
    Eat a little bit of everything and you'll probably be able to keep in caloric budget
  • Jeniroosen1
    Options
    Are you sure we're not related?

Actually, my ex and I would go round and round about this. Nothing was healthy and it was hard to make good choices without
    A.) going hungry
    B.) insulting the family
  • SandyHern
    SandyHern Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Eat half of what you would usually do...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Offer to make dinner next time, it's the right time of the year for spreading good cheer and food.
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy!! but not as gd as what i'm having:):)
    you could bring a nice big salad that everyone will enojy
  • rlwzgd
    rlwzgd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Same boat here, but we are spending a week with them! I'm bringing a bag of apples so I can eat something... Last time they asked what we liked, we told them and then they got offended because it wasn't what they wanted. Then don't ask people! Sorry, had to vent...
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Eat a little bit of everything and you'll probably be able to keep in caloric budget

This is a good response.

Remember this is just one day. Enjoy your food in moderation, but enjoy the company even more.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options

This, really. My family is somewhere between eating pure prefab crud and having an average interest in healthy eating. I love them anyway. They may not be able to whole-heartedly enjoy the changes I've made for myself, so they don't have to eat what I bring, but I'm gonna eat that store-bought pumpkin pie (hold the cool whip) and the cranberries with the rings on because I'm happy to be with them. It's a holiday, don't let it be ruined with overthinking.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I offered and they said they "dont really need anything" ..... O.O

At thanksgiving I ate only turkey and veggies and went to my moms for dessert but I ended up almost having a whole thanksgiving dinner when I got there... I wanted real food, haha. I only went over 100cals for the day, so it wasn't bad but meh.

I understand everyone has their traditions, everyone has their own way of doing holiday dinners but I was really hoping they would step it up a little... :/ They talk about health all the time but they never look at their food choices. They're not fat but the food they eat is crap...
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

At thanksgiving I ate only turkey and veggies and went to my moms for dessert but I ended up almost having a whole thanksgiving dinner when I got there... I wanted real food, haha. I only went over 100cals for the day, so it wasn't bad but meh.

I understand everyone has their traditions, everyone has their own way of doing holiday dinners but I was really hoping they would step it up a little... :/ They talk about health all the time but they never look at their food choices. They're not fat but the food they eat is crap...

People who aren't into eating well don't want to be lectured, just like you would not want to be lectured about whatever your bad habits are. If you're going to their house, eat in moderation and just enjoy it.
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I agree, either call and say you've been trying a bunch of new recipes and have something to bring because you "won't feel comfortable letting them do all the work" wink wink, or just bring some yummy veggies and whipped sweet potatoes or whatever you want. In the future if you can pull it off.....offer to bring more?
  • jsjaclark
    Options
    eat some of everything in moderation and drink lots of water (to offset the sodium)
  • Hikaru37
    Hikaru37 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Consider it a day off and eat til your full
    No more no less

Maybe drink lots of water beforehand to fill yourself up a bit
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Love me some Stovetop and Pilsbury Rolls. It's the only day out of the year that I have them.

Just have some turkey and veggies if you're not inclined to eat the more "ready to eat" foods.

But there's something to be said for being a gracious guest.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

This post isn't saying I'm being unthankful, I'm attempting to figure out a way to have a healthier meal than they're offering.
  • walkinmydoxies
    Options
    It's a holiday...Enjoy time with family and/or friends. You could just show up with some extra veggies also :smile:
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options

I still say bring a dish and also eat something filling and healthy b4 you go....thats what i would do, other wise just enjoy it:)
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    They talk about health all the time but they never look at their food choices. They're not fat but the food they eat is crap...

I have family that is the same way. I just choke down the hamburger helper (that was made without even draining the grease) with a smile on my face and drink a ton of water to deal with all that sodium. It's a pretty rare occasion, so I'm cool