How much of a calorc deficit is too much

Options
I have bene wondering this because when I work out and eat, what I think, quite alot I have over 1000 deficit. does anyone know how much is too much and makes the body go into starvation mode? That's my biggest worry becuase I was anorexic many years ago and I could still go without eating, but choose not to. I like the hair on my head and want to keep it there, and HATED the headaches I had.

Replies

• joeysmuse
    joeysmuse Posts: 87
    Options
    I have bene wondering this because when I work out and eat, what I think, quite alot I have over 1000 deficit. does anyone know how much is too much and makes the body go into starvation mode? That's my biggest worry becuase I was anorexic many years ago and I could still go without eating, but choose not to. I like the hair on my head and want to keep it there, and HATED the headaches I had.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    one word

eat

1000 cal deficit is not neccessarily a good thing. It slows down your metabolism and will slow down your weight loss. You should come close to eating most of your calories including your exercise cals.
  • blackbeltfairy
    Options
    Eat what makes you comfortable. I'm having the same problem, but I physically could not eat any more!

As long as you're not feeling tired, headachey, or dizzy, then you should be fine. At least, that's the basis I'm going on.
  • joeysmuse
    joeysmuse Posts: 87
    Options
    :happy: It's hard to eat another 1000 calories. I have tried to consume all my calories and by the end of the day I feel like pukin I ate so much. :ohwell: i will have to try eating more often. Thanks for your input!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you are in your journey. If you are classified as obese or higher, 1000 calorie a day deficit is usually reasonable, but lower your BMI and you should shrink your deficit. There are a few very specific cases where over 1200 calorie deficits are acceptable, but they usually involve a doctor's supervision and usually don't last longer then a few weeks.
    That being said, everyone is different, different people can tolerate different deficits for different time periods. What we usually give out here as advice is generally based around the average, you may need to tweak your numbers based on personal experience.