If I'm just walking do I still need a "recovery day"?

Options
terraskye
terraskye Posts: 370 Member
Hi there,

I've been trying to walk every day for at least 60minutes at a time. Do I still need to have a recovery day or is that just if I'm running or doing more strenuous excercise?

TIA
Fi

Replies

• terraskye
    Options
    Hi there,

I've been trying to walk every day for at least 60minutes at a time. Do I still need to have a recovery day or is that just if I'm running or doing more strenuous excercise?

TIA
    Fi
  • hscharre
    hscharre Posts: 4
    Options
    I think it depends on your level of fitness and your body. For example, I have plantar fasciitis and need a recovery day for my feet to prevent serious injury. If you generally walk each day and do not have injury, you are probably good to go.
  • terraskye
    Options
    I think it depends on your level of fitness and your body. For example, I have plantar fasciitis and need a recovery day for my feet to prevent serious injury. If you generally walk each day and do not have injury, you are probably good to go.

Thanks...I've been feeling pretty good though I did pull my groin the other day as I had started to incorporate short runs into my walks but I've eased off that for now until that no longer pains me.

Woohooo more walking:) Im really loving it too
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I walk 4 miles a day 7 days a week. :flowerforyou: I think if your body can handle it go for it! If you feel you need a day off by all means take it. I love to walk too. :smile: I did my AM 2 miles in 32 minutes this morning. I burn between 800-900 calories a day walking my 4 miles. Have a great day ! Cindy :heart:
  • terraskye
    Options
    I walk 4 miles a day 7 days a week. :flowerforyou: I think if your body can handle it go for it! If you feel you need a day off by all means take it. I love to walk too. :smile: I did my AM 2 miles in 32 minutes this morning. I burn between 800-900 calories a day walking my 4 miles. Have a great day ! Cindy :heart:

Today I did my 1st 4-mile walk:) Normally its been 3.71 miles in 60minutes but I've only been walking again from the 2nd of this month as before that I was sick for 10 days:( Building back up my time:) I'm using the Nike+ with my ipod and I love logging in all my miles. I think that is one my main motivators!!

Thanks for letting me know. I'm going to keep doing it unless i am in utter pain or get sick again. lol

Fi
  • Jill42MN
    Jill42MN Posts: 35
    Options
    You burn 800-900 caolries with your 4 mile walk?? Or is this in a week? I walk 4 miles every day as well and I guess I wasn't aware it was that much - I do it in about 50 minutes. I think something must be wrong with my ped??
  • terraskye
    Options
    You burn 800-900 caolries with your 4 mile walk?? Or is this in a week? I walk 4 miles every day as well and I guess I wasn't aware it was that much - I do it in about 50 minutes. I think something must be wrong with my ped??

I know today I walked a bit over 4 miles in 67 minutes (slow day involving a bridge) and my nike+ said I burnt 757 calories:) I love seeing that and its one of the main reasons I want to walk everyday now, trying to build up my speed and endurance too:)
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    I walk 2 miles in the morning and burn around 420-480. I then walk 2 miles in the evening and burn the same. I have a heart rate monitor that I use on my walks. I have to keep my heart rate in the 70% range to burn that many. I walk 2 miles in 32 minutes usualy which is 16 minutes a mile. Remember the more a person weighs the more calories they burn at an activity. I have alot to lose. I burn on average 5,000 calories a week. I walk, ride my bike , swim, do an in home walking dvd sometimes. Cindy :heart:
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    oops double post-:smile: :
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    Isn't walking awesome? It's my favorite exercise. I take the dogs out for a 3.4 mile walk and usually burn around 500 cals. (HRM)

I'd say, if you're not suffering from stiff, sore joints or any kind of discomfort associated with walking, you can do it every day. It doesn't place a lot of stress on your muscles.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    doing cardio is fine every single day of the week regardless if your walking/jogging/running/swimming ect..- You can choose to take a day off if you like- but you DO need a rest day when you are hitting the weights with your muscle groups--
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options

cindy sunshine burns more because she weighs more, the lighter she gets the harder she will have to work but she has had amazing results so far! :drinker:
  • Jill42MN
    Jill42MN Posts: 35
    Options
    Great to know that I am burning more then I thought! I did 4 miles in 54 minutes - so I did much better! Yeah! I am in the need of a different tracker then! Where did you get the Nike thing you use??
    Thanks!!!
  • mrsyac2
    Options

You burn 800-900 calories a day just walking 2 miles??? Are you wearing a Heart Rate Monitor? I know you have alot more to lose but that is really high and not really realistic honestly- Yes when you have more to lose you may burn more but not that much- #1 walking doesn't burn that much unless your heart rate is pumping and you can get like 10-12 calories burned per minute-

I am not doubting you burning that many I just want to clarify just in case you eat your exercise calories that your not over eating- If thats what your HRM says than fine but if thats what MFP or any other website says I would rethink eating that many calories back..
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    Thanks a bunch NichOle !!!! :smile:
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    I believe my heart rate monitor. I am walking at an almost jog. I do not eat any of my exercise calories. I lose on average 4 pounds a week. As a matter of fact I have 2 differant heart rate monitors. A polar F-4 and a Nike one. They both say the same thing. As I stated before I keep my heart rate at a constant 70%-74% the entire walk. I have alot to lose. The more you weigh the more you burn. :smile: Cindy :heart:
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    I burn 800-900 walking 4 miles. I walk the 4 miles in 64 minutes. So by keeping my heart rate at 70% -74% for 64 minutes I burn 800-900 calories. Cindy :heart:
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I burn 800-900 walking 4 miles. I walk the 4 miles in 64 minutes. So by keeping my heart rate at 70% -74% for 64 minutes I burn 800-900 calories. Cindy :heart:

You must really be trucking it to burn that many-- Cause typically if someone is trucking it and their heart rate was high they would burn an average of 10-12 calories which would equal roughly 640-760- I'm not doubting a HRM I am just pretty shocked that its so high--

I can burn a lot fast too but I have to be really moving-

Edited to add:
    I believe my heart rate monitor. I am walking at an almost jog.

Well jogging is a lot different then walking and that makes more sense-

Just like running is different then jogging- you burn diff calories and more

You will burn more jogging compared to walking and even more running compared to jogging--
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I believe my heart rate monitor. I am walking at an almost jog. I do not eat any of my exercise calories. I lose on average 4 pounds a week. As a matter of fact I have 2 differant heart rate monitors. A polar F-4 and a Nike one. They both say the same thing. As I stated before I keep my heart rate at a constant 70%-74% the entire walk. I have alot to lose. The more you weigh the more you burn. :smile: Cindy :heart:

Don't say you don't eat your exercise calories too loud stones may start flying lol :tongue: :laugh: -- Just teasing
  • terraskye
    Options
    Great to know that I am burning more then I thought! I did 4 miles in 54 minutes - so I did much better! Yeah! I am in the need of a different tracker then! Where did you get the Nike thing you use??
    Thanks!!!

I got my Nike+ at The Running Room here in Canada but you can buy at them at Best Buy or Sport Chek if you have one where you are.

I love mine and I love uploading my walk everyday and see what my total has been. I want a HRM too but since I have a large-ish rib cage there are so many on the market I'm not really sure what to get and if the band would fit around my chest.