Polar FT4 heart rate monitor

Options
Does anyone have it and what is with the water on the strap before you use it? and what are your tips and tricks you have found out about it? I just bought one and am anxious to use it but want to make sure I am doing it right! Thanks!

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    you put water on the strap so you can get a better/more accurate reading :)
    i have one and love it- i would just recommend you make sure to update your weight on it as you lose, and o adjust the band as well - when i first got mine i had to have it all the way loose, and during one workout i noticed it kept "losing" my heart rate - turns out the band was too loose because id lost some inches heh
  • ashleymashley02
    Options
    So everytime before you put it on you put it under water?
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I literally just run mine under the tap for a few seconds. I love mine, I think it is great and am very happy to get a more accurate idea of what I'm really burning. I have found it really interesting - some activities are far more strenuous than I had thought they were, others much less so! Have fun! :bigsmile:
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Luv mine!!! Yep you put water everytime on the sensors that are on the strap (tip make sure you use warm water because cold water can send you into shiver land if it's cold atmosphere:noway: ) I also wash my strap after about 5-8 uses in the washer machine.
  • chelle4282
    chelle4282 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yeah I put mine under water for a second every time I use it.

Also, I make sure to wash it every five times or so that I use it. I found that if I don't do that, I get inaccurate readings. Follow the instructions for cleaning it regularly and you shouldn't have a problem though.

I love my HRM!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    You need to run the strap under water so the contacts pick up the heart signal as intended. The strap does not function properly w/o being wet. You should also wash the strap after every 3rd or 4th use. Just the strap and also do not dry in the dryer. This is also recommended for the HRM to function properly over time.

Make sure you enter all your stats correctly. Age, sex, height and as mentioned before, keep them updated on a regular basis. The results you get will be partially based on these stats.
  • kiahpyr
    kiahpyr Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have one and really like it. Today I had issues with it tracking my heart rate. Thanks to this thread I'm sure all it needs is a good wash.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4 and its the dogs dangles as far as im concerned, didn't cost me a mortgage payment and does what i ask of it, use warm / hot water to wet the sensors especially this time of year and follow the MF instructions for care
    As others said enter your data (age, weight etc) and update as you loose weight :bigsmile:
  • dizam
    dizam Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I bought mine because many machines at the gym can read your heart rate and adjust the resistance accordingly for cardio.

From the user guide:

Detach the connector from the strap when you are not using it to maximize the transmitter lifetime.

Detach the transmitter connector from the strap and rinse the strap under running water after every use (I just take it with me to the shower)

Wash the strap regularly in a washing machine at 40ºC/104ºF at least after every fifth use, on a washing pouch. Don't put it on the dryer. Do not wash the transmitter.

Wet the electrode areas of the strap well under running water. Check that the wet electrode areas are firmly against your skin and that the Polar logo of the connector is in a central and upright position.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy mine too. It's such a great motivator!